Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 ACP Savage Model 112, Series-J Bolt Rifle Project Update

A lot of people put down the .45 ACP as a deer cartridge but, woods ranges should be fine. Especially from a carbine with 200 gr. and up.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information.

Isaac

Why? Because I enjoy shooting big, slow bullets like this,
    It is fun. Like a 405gn bullet leaving around 1050fps making its way to the 300 yard gong.

Who is making your barrel?

Love the delay, neat build. Cool video.

Boolit Master
    Ordered my Savage barrel nut wrench today. I do not want to be dependant on local gunsmithing stores.

I just hope that the wrench will make it to me in Canada in a reasonable amount of time with all this Corona virus crap!

Now if the weather would turn better, we could go outside to enjoy some sun! But that's is not going to happen for a week or so darn it!

I am impatiently waiting on my barrel still...….. A hard wait during all this indoor isolation stuff!

Boolit Master
    Wohoo! Just got word that my barrel is fi ished and in the mail today!

I can harldy wait to start the load development, and see what this little stubby case can do!

Boolit Buddy
    From a reloading standpoint, stay with a longer barrel! I shoot a 16 1/2" barrel, 19 1/2" barrel and just finished a 23" barrel in 45 Auto / 45 Super and pushing Hornady's lighter weight FTX bullets @ over 1,500 fps. will keep bullet holes touching at 75 yards!

In my Savage bolt gun, I load Speer's 250 gr. Deep Curl in 45 Auto brass at 1,300 fps. and 45 Super brass is loaded with FTX bullets at just over 1,500 fps. is going to make an excellent deer round!

I put the same scope and rings on my Savage, but set it up in one of those Choate Varmint stocks, set up as a single shot. It's a HEAVY GUN, but groups out to 200 yards are running well under 2 inches and should do anything I would ever need for a "close range" gun.

I have not shot any factory loads through this gun, so I have no earthly use a what they will do, save one, and as loud as it was, I won't shoot another one! Even my fastest loads are not that loud, but they are not loaded with pistol powder either.

Boolit Master
    Well boys and girls, here she FINALLY is!
    After waiting just shy of 4- 1/2 months after deciding to go ahead with the project, it is now a reality!

First range visit was a great learning tool! The only load I tested today was pretty darn good to start! I put the first 2 rounds onto a target at 25, then put another 2 on a target at 75yards. I then took the bull by the horns and went right out to someones old target at 136 yards. Photo of the target and rifle are included in the photo link below.

So far it is really fun!
    Hope you like the photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPNd3zvpCzFVK9Bk7

Boolit Buddy
    Well, that came out nice! Good job and good shooting!

Boolit Master
    Yeah,really good looking rifle.One thing to talk about it,but definitely something else when the project is finished. You definitely did extremely well. Frank

Yep, turned out really nice.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I'm really impressed. All the other 45acp bolt actions that I've seen are based off of the Rhineland/Troupesystem kits. Your rifle is easily twice as accurate. Really nice. As for a deer cartridge, I thought about it and no body would think twice about using a 45 caliber muzzleloader to hunt deer. Your rifle is actually more accurate and more powerful than that, so it should work well.

Boolit Master
    Dthunter I have a question please? Concerning the bolt face. You said you used a 308 cal face. Did you have to do any mods to the face so it would cycle the brass through the barrel?

Boolit Buddy

Really nice. Enjoy!

Dthunter, I'm liking me some of that rifle. Now, what about a 44 mag bolt gun! I know Ruger makes one but the magazine is restrictive as far as heavier boolits. Congrats on a cool build.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12