WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Carnival Shot??

Boolit Master

Carnival Shot??

You know, that stuff you shoot ot of the air-powwered machine guns at the carny while trying to mow down a line of innocent metal ducklings. Well, I scored two buckets of OLD wheelweights from a friend who inherited them from his dad. We loaded the first bucket (full to the top) into my Forester and then the second. OMG!! That 2nd bucket was WAY heavier than the first and was only 2/3 full! Yesterday I started smelting down my treasure and stared with the heavier bucket. After digging down about 3" what do I find? Shot pellets! The whole bottom of that bucket was filled with shot pellets, obviously fired judging by the deformation. I called my friend and inquired about that, he said "Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that! Pops told me he had scored a bunch of that from the carny one year!"

So, does anyone have any idea what the composition might be? I'm assuming it's the cheapest lead shot that there ever was, maybe something like 98-2?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Just clean it up and then load it. It would constitute "Reclaimed Shot" which is used by many, including myself, for Target shells.

It is probably pure lead.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Hi Randy! Yeah, I'd planned on loading it for small game and some trap shooting. It looks large, maybe #4 #2 but it's way out of round. I'll weigh a few and see what it is.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I have some of the same stuff and had BNE check it out. No antimony in my batch. It is just smaller than BB shot so that they will still pass down the barrel until they are too out of round to fit the barrel due to being deformed. Still nice to have if you need soft lead.

Boolit Master

Hi Dusty! I weighed some of these pellets, they are 6 grains. My Lyman manual says that makes them #1's.

unknown

Boolit Master
    Might have been that then, but they are 45's now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Might have been that then, but they are 45's now.
    LOL! Fer sher!

unknown

Boolit Mold
    Nice, That shot would be great to load in shotguns for Bird, Small Game or close range Home Defense.

Boolit Master

Yes, my thought also! It's way out of round but for close range shots (<30 yds.) it should work OK. I'm gonna' load up a box of 1-1/4 oz. loads and make a red squirrel safari just for giggles, we'll see how it goes!

unknown