MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two different boolits in one mold

Boolit Bub

Two different boolits in one mold

Is there any reason not to get a 2 cavity mold with two different cavities? I am planning on getting an Accurate 31-135 for my S7, and I was thinking I might order a 2 cavity with a WC for the second one(my small game load for the S7 is a 32S&W Long WC). I'm not looking for speed casting, more interested in maximizing versatility without having to purchase multiple molds. Is there any problems with this plan?

And if it turns out I'm not crazy, what 32 WC molds do people like from Accurate?

Boolit Buddy

I have a lyman mould with 2 different size cavities. Deliberate or custom I don't know but it makes sense if you want to stretch the casting dollar,

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopgrandpa View Post
    I have a lyman mould with 2 different size cavities. Deliberate or custom I don't know but it makes sense if you want to stretch the casting dollar,
    So I'm not crazy(about this, at least)

I think if you'll read Accurate's web info you'll find that they offer this @ $15.00/ per cavity that is changed.

It's not a problem but best to pour both cavities at once. Large difference in cavity size may be a problem keeping the cavity up to temp. Pick the bloc size based on the larger.
    Whatever!

NOE makes molds like that. Not two different bullets but 1 with a gas check and another without.
    So I don't see any reason that it can't be done.
    I some ways I like the idea. With two cavities in the same one may be just enough different it may shoot to a different impact point than the other. This will open group size. So trying to keep them separate will not be easy. I guess you can mark one cavity some how.
    With two different bullets sorting would be easy.
    Only problem I for see is that you unless you shoot the same amount of each bullet you will end up making a lot more than you need of the one you don't use as much. That in itself would keep me from doing as you suggest. I don't like casting good bullets just to recast them later.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Molds like this have been around for a long time. I have a mold that drops 2 and 2, but personally I prefer blocks with all cavities identical. If you do this will you load just as many rounds of one bullet as the other? Because if not it is going to be a pain to just fill one cavity and a single cavity is slow production.

I had a 303 boolit mould made for two different sizes, 314.190gc and 314.220gc - no extra charge.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    I did it for a 6.5 Jap. Thought I'd "experiment" with different weights & GC vs PB. It's a little PIT# to have different bolts in the same pile, but otherwise it's like having a single cavity mould.

Boolit Buddy
    Just make sure the designs are not too similar (like, maybe RN and Wadcutter), or sorting becomes a really big PITA.

--DJ (owner of a 2-cavity mold that casts .320 RN for Nambu and .330 RN for Lebel revolver)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Vince, it pays to read the FAQ’s
    Can you cut different designs within the same block?
    Yes, each additional design adds $15 to the price of the mold.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I have several of that type of two-cavity mould. Some gun writer (Venturino?) dubbed them “the thinking man’s mould,” because the two different cavities suggested an experimental turn of mind.

In practice, I generally find that I’m always running out of the more-favored product of one of the cavities while piling up a surplus of the less-used other. Casting just one cavity of a closely-spaced two cavity mould requires more skill than I possess; picking half-formed spillovers from the other cavity out of the pile of castings quickly becomes a drag. The sight of even inadvertent bad castings is depressing to me.

The one exception to the rule, for me at least, is an Ideal mould that casts 452374 and 454190 boolits. This came to me with a S&W Model 25-5 with .45 Colt and .45 Auto/Auto-Rim cylinders. By a simple cylinder switch, I can send these downrange at pretty much the same rate. For some reason, both shoot closely enough to the same sight setting to work. Definitely not a routine occurrence with two-cylinder revolvers; maybe a previous owner took the outfit to Lourdes and had it blessed.

If you want to get a “thinking man’s mould” simply to save money on moulds, you might keep that extra “sweat equity” that you may wind up paying in mind.

Moderator Emeritus

I find it to be an advantage on bullets that I shoot slowly and a disadvantage on those I shoot repeatedly. For a handgun I take to the range and shoot 100+ rounds I prefer 4 cavities or more just to speed up casting. For a gun I shoot single shot I think it works OK but it is mainly a money saver. I prefer to go without and get more of what I want.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Vince, it pays to read the FAQ’s
    Can you cut different designs within the same block?
    Yes, each additional design adds $15 to the price of the mold.
    Oh, I saw that. What I was wondering is whether or not it would be a bad idea to have two drastically different boolit styles in the he same mold.

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 molds that Tom @ Accurate made for me a few years back. I had them made so I could find that perfect style bullet without buying many molds in the process. I found there aren't any perfect style bullets and I bought too many molds anyway. None of mine where very much different, just slight variations except for one that had 2 44's and 2 45's in it. Good idea that has run it's course.

When I get around to it, I'm going to put them in the Classifieds here.

Boolit Master
    I used to think about these mold styles as the frugal shooter's answer to several needs at minimal expense. Years ago I acquired two H&G sets of mold blocks and both had one each of different cavities cut in them. The cavities in these include: #47 - .229" 47 grain pointed GC (22 Savage High Power), #20 - .314" 170 grain pointed GC (.303 British+/-), #76 .323" 176 grain pointed GC (8mm) and #84 - .458" 405 grain RN plain base. These cavities tell a story about the user who probably had surplus military rifles and needed boolits for each, also the vintage Savage and Winchester calibers for domestic rifles. I would have to dig through my molds to find these molds and report which 2 cuts were in each of the same blocks together, just cannot recall offhand. I got both sets of blocks at the same time from the same source and am trying to recall this was an estate environment. Wish I could have met and talked with the previous owner.

Boolit Master

One of my first NOE moulds was a RanchDog designed 180gr for 38/357. It's a 4-cav, 2 GC, 2PB.

It's something of a pain to sort out after casting, and I find I have too many of one or the other whenever it comes time to load.

I won't buy another multi mould.

Boolit Master
    I'll raise you, I have an NOE (i think) that casts 4 different weight .50 boolets for my 500. John Ross design - 275, 350, 425, 475 g .
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    With that type of mold it never fails that I want a lot of one bullet and none of the other!

Boolit Bub
    Pulled the trigger. Got a 31-135S/31-100D on the way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast