MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: SAECO Molds, Lyman or RCBS Top punch recommendation

Boolit Bub

SAECO Molds, Lyman or RCBS Top punch recommendation

Based on many recommendations here, I just received a nice package from Al at NOE, and this should cover all of my bullet sizing needs. One problem though, the top punch adapter that he provides works only with Lyman/RCBS type top punches, and he has nothing that will adapt to the threaded SAECO top punches. I did call him and he was a bit surprised and said that he could probably make something, but he was 6-8 weeks out on production and I did not want to wait that long.

From my reading here, it appears that when using these dies for sizing, if I am going to seat gas checks I should be pushing the bullet up into the die base first, hence the needed top punch.

So, with all of that said, I have three SAECO molds that I need a Lyman/RCBS top punch recommendation for. They are mold numbers 454, 354 and 305.

Any advice?

Also, I see numerous articles about making custom top punches using JB Weld and some type of release agent. Easily done, but to those of you who have done that, can you recommend a base/blank top punch on which to build? Maybe the answer to all of this is simply buy a few wide open punches and make up a few custom ones.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Rangerone; 03-14-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Benefactor Member, National Rifle Association

Moderator Emeritus

I "hear" your anguish as you're getting the "bestest" of moulds, with more than a wee challenge to size, lube, and GC them.
    There is a wonderful thread on this great site from 30 December 2009 which has some info which, I hope, may be of help to you. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...co-Lube-Sizers

Redding Corp has a page on their web-site catalogue which may have the numbers you need, to go that route. It is https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...co-top-punches.

Lastly, I have had great luck with a lady in Pennsylvania -- 'phone is (724) 269-7020 -- at Accurate Arms & Ammo -- https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/main.sc -- in providing pretty much anything Redding/SAECO in record time as well as record (low ) prices.
    Good luck, and BEST!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 03-14-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Hello George,

Thank you for your references, but I was not clear in my original posting, so I have amended it. I am looking for recommendations for a Lyman/RCBS top punch that is compatible with my SAECO molds so that I can use the adapter from NOE to size the bullets base first in order to seat the gas checks.

The thread reference you posted was making top punches to fit my SAECO lube sizer, but I have a drawer full of those, and none of them will work on the adapter from NOE, so I will have to either buy a bunch of Lyman/RCBS top punches or make my own.

Boolit Master

A former member here makes blank top punches that you fill the cavity with some formable material, I use hot glue material. It can be removed to make different nose patterns. I have several different diameters.

Look at the link:
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...-punches.3329/

I can't find the ordering information but maybe someone else knows where it is.
    John
    W.TN

How are the top punches held in the NOE adapter? I assume they slide in a hole then held with set screw.
    Is the threaded portion of the SAECO top punches too big to slide into the adapter? if so you could turn down the threaded portion of the top punch to fit the adapter or you get a second adapter and open it up enough so the SAECO top punch would slide into then hold with the set screw.
    Possibly thread the second adapter to match the SAECO top punch.
    Any of these ideas can be done if you can't find a substitution chart or a source of top punches that fit SAECO molds that fit the Lyman/RCBS lube and size machines.
    Getting some of those blank top punches and adding material to fit your bullets seems the easy way.
    Leo

How are the top punches held in the NOE adapter? I assume they slide in a hole then held with set screw.
    Is the threaded portion of the SAECO top punches too big to slide into the adapter? if so you could turn down the threaded portion of the top punch to fit the adapter or you get a second adapter and open it up enough so the SAECO top punch would slide into then hold with the set screw.
    Possibly thread the second adapter to match the SAECO top punch.
    Any of these ideas can be done if you can't find a substitution chart or a source of top punches that fit SAECO molds that fit the Lyman/RCBS lube and size machines.
    Getting some of those blank top punches and adding material to fit your bullets seems the easy way.
    Leo

Maybe I'm not understanding your question, but perhaps this chart would help: http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/rcbs.html
    I'm using 2 Saeco molds (357 & 45 Colt) both SWC and use a Lyman 4500 with the standard top punches. I'm not in my reloading shed but can check if needed for the numbers.

Boolit Bub
    Hello Leo… You are correct, they are held in the adapter with a small set screw. My current top punches will not slide into the hole, the outside diameter is too big, no intention of destroying them and making them unusable in my SAECO lube sizer. I think I will just choose some large ID punches and make my own. Supposedly someone makes the appropriate blanks in order to do this.

Hello RKJ… I have three SAECO molds, model number 454, 354 and 305. I am hoping that someone here has one of these same molds and uses an RCBS or Lyman lubrisizer and had found the appropriate Lyman or RCBS top punch. The adapter I received with the NOE bullet sizer equipment only works with Lyman or RCBS.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    A former member here makes blank top punches that you fill the cavity with some formable material, I use hot glue material. It can be removed to make different nose patterns. I have several different diameters.

Look at the link:

I'm a member of A&S, Keith is out of pocket there at present.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    I'm a member of A&S, Keith is out of pocket there at present.
    I just emailed him.

Great. I have several of his blank top punches, well made.

Rangerone, I just looked at my dies and the 45 is a Saeco 458 and I'm using a RCBS 190 top punch for it. The other is a 393 and I'm using a Lyman 429 with it. I doubt that helps you but...The bullets are both SWC and I don't have any issues with them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

Look at the link:

Keith provided the link I couldn't find"=:
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...ths-korner.30/
    John
    W.TN