MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Searching the odd parts drawer

Banned

Searching the odd parts drawer

I got to thinking today, that I have recently seen a Mauser front site in my parts odds and ends. I think it is a new Brownells tall blank. Then it occurred that I have a '96 Swede that will probably need that sight when spring and the shooting season arrives. Looking in all the obvious places I never found the front sight.

But I found a fitted rubber recoil pad for a Swiss K-31, which I have, so that will get installed soon. Then surprise, I found a very nice, really nice Carcano receiver and bolt, when and where that came from I have no idea. I know I have two Carcano rifles that have no stocks, now I have a receiver that needs a barrel. I am winter, cabin fever dreaming again, maybe a 6mm Remington barrel, maybe a 6.5x55 Swede barrel, maybe a 7.5 Swiss barrel. Or....

The action is plenty strong, though the split bridge is kind of a pain to work with. And no after market fancy triggers are available. But, still it's something to ponder.

Some years ago I had a Carcano rebarreled to 308 and chambered for 7.62x39.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I got to thinking today, that I have recently seen a Mauser front site in my parts odds and ends. I think it is a new Brownells tall blank. Then it occurred that I have a '96 Swede that will probably need that sight when spring and the shooting season arrives. Looking in all the obvious places I never found the front sight.

But I found a fitted rubber recoil pad for a Swiss K-31, which I have, so that will get installed soon. Then surprise, I found a very nice, really nice Carcano receiver and bolt, when and where that came from I have no idea. I know I have two Carcano rifles that have no stocks, now I have a receiver that needs a barrel. I am winter, cabin fever dreaming again, maybe a 6mm Remington barrel, maybe a 6.5x55 Swede barrel, maybe a 7.5 Swiss barrel. Or....

The action is plenty strong, though the split bridge is kind of a pain to work with. And no after market fancy triggers are available. But, still it's something to ponder.

Some years ago I had a Carcano rebarreled to 308 and chambered for 7.62x39.

Ken
    How about 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, or 35 Remington. I've got one myself, and have looked at it for years trying to think of something to rebarrel it to.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Pressman
    6.5X57 or 6.5X257 is where ya wanna be with that Carcano.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned
    Lots of great ideas here, now that the local spring gunshow season is finished do to COVID-19 fears it looks like spending $$$ will be more available.

I have found that some Carcano's will drop into a Mauser 98 stock. It's a little big but that can be fixed as long as the action length is correct. Getting closer.

Boolit Master
    Pressman,

Thanks for the heads up. I checked in my closet and found a mint condition M24 Mauser action from who knows where in an old box of many parts. I would like to have it barreled up to 7x57MM.

Adam

Boolit Master

I found a Phillips screw driver and a barlow knife and a folding metric allen set. I like your junk drawers better.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE