Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Guns!!! Yeah, Right....

Boolit Master

No More Guns!!! Yeah, Right....

During the past year I've been selling off a few firearms to help support other hobbies and some travel. I vowed, at 67 years old, I'd stop buying firearms. Most of the guns I sold I never fired!
    Out of all the guns I sold, I only regret selling one of them.....A Ruger Blackhawk, 3-Screw, Unconverted, 4.5" barrel in 41 Magnum......Here in Massachusetts a handgun must have been in the state before 1998 for it to be grandfathered, otherwise it can not be transferred in from another state and sold to a Massachusetts resident. (I hate living here but grandkids has my wife firmly anchored...)

So months ago I start looking for another BH/3screw/41Mag.......Like finding a unicorn here in MA!

Wednesday I sold a very nice Remington 11-87 to a fellow and did the FFL transfer at a gun shop that was some distance from my house, but equal distance for both of us to drive. This gun shop had two 3-screw, unconverted Ruger BHs. But both in 38/357 (although one had the extra 9mm cylinder!) ....But I wanted a 41 Magnum...

We left that shop and went two miles to another shop in the area...Just to look around. Sure enough, way in the back of the gun case was a 4.5" Ruger BH, 3-screw.....I couldn't see the caliber, but the bore was easily seen to not be 38 cal. I had him pull it out and nearly pissed myself!!! It was Identical to the one I let get away. He wanted $700....I had an envelope with $600 in it from the sale of the shotgun a few minutes before....I threw the envelope on the counter and said it was all the $$ I had on me. He accepted my offer! And I'm a VERY happy camper!

But it doesn't end here.....

A few weeks ago, on another forum I frequent, a fellow was selling a Lyman Sharps Model 1878 in 30-30 caliber. These are actually Sharps 1877 rifles, but are called 1878 to celebrate the 140th anniversary of Lyman Gun Sight Company. They limited production to 140 rifles. The price was VERY fair and included brass, bullets, dies.....It was listed for a couple weeks. I couldn't believe it didn't sell. On Saturday morning, while drinking coffee and reading that forum, I saw he relisted it. I thought he had finally sold it. I emailed him and send funds immediately.
    A few days later it showed up......I'm totally in love! Now I have a 1859, 1863, 1874, 1875 and 1877 Sharps rifles in the rack! Can't wait to take it deer hunting!

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

Gadfry, that Blackhawk looks like new!
    Great snag!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    That is one beautiful rifle! Congrats!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Sweet!!!! Very nice!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Love both of them.

Boolit Master
    Two great finds in a week, thanks for sharing the pics, they both are super good looking.

USMC 77, USRA 79

butt.... butt...... your 67 years old.... better send them off to me!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Enjoy your toys

Very very nice

I'm 67 and I'm not selling any toys. Slowed down buying this year. Have not bought one since last Nov.

I don't like to sell unless it is going to a friend in need, or it and me are just plain incompatable for whatever reason.

Like the Brazilian side by side .410 shotgun that was so poorly regulated you could not hit the broad side of a big buck at 15 yards.
    When I sold it I did full disclosure, sold it for exactly what I had into it, and threw in a box of shells. Awesome looking gun, hand checkered great wood, nice high rib. But it simply would not shoot where I told it to.

nice find on both

Boolit Master

I don't know at what age you get to old to buy another gun but at 72 I'm still liking and buying items that I like. You scored a home runs with these 2 purchases in my book. I love old model Blackhawks of any caliber but the big boomers and arthritis cause me some pain when playing so mine don't get shot much anymore. Enjoy them while you can.

wcp

Boolit Master
    I seen that sharps and thought about buying it. You good a good deal on a nice gun.

I'm likin' you did some double-dipping there, Roy - VERY nice grabs ! .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Both good looking guns and i dont think you ever get too old for buying guns. Have to look forward to something.

Boolit Master
    I really like the Ruger three screw. I have one with a six inch barrel. Your holster is about as good they come. The man who made that is a real craftsman..
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I took that Lyman 1878 to the range yesterday........Once again I hate Lyman tang sights. No windage adjustment, no elevation clicks or other markings. Very hard to adjust accurately. Had a hard time even getting on paper.

Pulled that sight off and installed a far superior Marbles.....Windage adjustment, click stop elevation.....With a Lee Shaver "Hadley" adjustable iris eye cupMore Bettah!

Going back today for more testing......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200315_091858671-vi.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	258622
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    RANGE REPORT....Not too good! The lead bullets that came with the rifle do not fit the bore properly and keyhole at lower velocity. With enough powder they expand enough to be marginally accurate.....3-5" at 50 yds

Jacketed bullets shoot great! An inch +/- at 50 yds and hitting 12" X 12" steel plate at 200 yds consistently......

I ordered some gas check bullets to experiment with and will cast some oversize bullets to try.....

It has potential!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Same age group - I've done the same thing - sell off some that I no longer shoot . . . but then . . . something catches your eye! Enjoy 'em and have fun with 'em . . . . don't go twenty yeas down the road and look back and say . . "I wish I had . . . " - life is too short for that! Nice looking Bh! Love that 30-30 - I would have wanted to bring that home as well! Enjoy and have fun!

Very nice!

rbertalotto, You might want to get a lottery ticket the way your luck is running. That three screw Ruger looks about as nice as they get. I have a unconverted .41 mag Ruger that I got new in '68. Most accurate pistol I've ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast