Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    The 1911, like so many other guns, have many clones to the original.
    I have had (still have) several 1911 'clones'. I do not have any original Colt 1911.
    Like all cloned guns, you 'might' get one that doesn't run right.
    I had a Thompson that didnt run right, changed out the slide stop and all was fine.
    A friend had a Remington that wouldnt run.
    I have a Norinco, ballistor-molina, and a pawn-shop generic, and they all run fine.
    If you tight on money, then get a cheap one, if it don't run right, trade/sell it off to get your money back out of it, and try again.
    IF you GOT the money, then get the $1,000 example and be all done with shopping.
    I had a Rock Island that wouldn't run. I got my money out of it, and moved on.
    Bottom line is that clones can be a 'hit or miss' proposition.
    Do not be scared, but only be aware.
    Very true there.
    Life is too short to mess with guns that don't work. Sell them and move on.

Boolit Master

Or if you can fix them and know how do so , I have had to replace and fit parts on some firearms , but if it is not worth your time or money then you are best to sell and get what works , the norinco 1911 was a good one had 2 till they were stolen , had a springfield and a colt series 70 , and a few others , still one of my favorite handguns

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwsbull View Post
    Also don’t overlook Remington R1. I bought an R1S off for under $600.00 less than a year ago and have loved it. It is my go to for carry and fun shooting auto. Since the 1911 and the revolvers have joined the stable my plastical guns are getting a lot of leisure time.
    I would really have to think twice about a Remington R1. They have never had a sterling reputation to begin with, and Remington recently announced the end of all pistol production. Rumor has it that the R1s were rebadged Para USA guns (which never had a sterling reputation either). Remington has put Para USA (and DPMS and Bushmaster) to bed for good. That means there won't be any repair parts, and probably no warranty service either.

Unless I was totally unconcerned about factory support, I think I would pass on the Remington. There are plenty of other brands out there to choose from.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Bought a Springfield armory one that had, had some serious work done to it. Knowlen barrel,ambi safeties, trigger job and it was cut for these small guide rods that fit where the rails are. Used to shoot stell plate matches with it. My other 45 is a 1943 Ithaca that was given to me from a WWII vet for a Saur 38H in 32 acp. I also got a big cigar box full of all sorts of 45 ammo. From WWII on up.
    Their Range Officer is a pretty good 45. Supposedly very accurate.
    Mite on the expensive side but if you buy one I don't think you will be disappointed. Start using shock buffs in it, prevents the slide from hammering the slide. Have a bunch and they are not expensive. Have fun. Frank

Boolit Lady
    At each price level there is a 1911 that might be considered to be a best buy. RIA is a good solid 1911 with a great warranty service if needed. After that I'd suggest Springfield, followed by Dan Wesson. My experience indicates that DW may be the best production 1911. If you want a really nice, reliable, extremely accurate built to be somewhat unique, then look into Alchemy Custom Weaponry. Rob does things that no one does and it works great. I have no connection to any of these other than owning or having owned most of them at one time or another.
    Best wishes.
    Feminine protection by Smith & Wesson

Boolit Master
    Have two, an RIA milspec and an SA milspec. The SA is the superior firearm. Agreed, get the sights you want first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In 1911s, I have a Rock Island GI, a Springfield RO, a Dan Wesson Guardian and a Ruger Commander. The Ruger is my favorite. Never any issues with it and is the most accurate of the group.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been shooting 1911's for almost 40 years now. I have owned almost all of the affordable models and a few of the upper ones.
    I will agree with the previous posters that the Ruger is the best gun for the money.
    My Ruger and my Gold Cup 70 series are 2 guns that I will never part with. I like the Kimbers too but hate their cheap looking finish.

Boolit Master
    Unless its a straight plinker go with adjustable sights, you can adjust to match your loads and they are easier to see. Seeing the sights is an issue as you age unless you were born lucky as far as eyesight is concerned. Have had a number of 1911's over the years and only one now is a SA Range Officer in 45 ACP. Good trigger, excellent sights and not fussy as far as feeding SWC is concerned. Bought it about 7-8 years ago IIRC for about $700-750 new, and would buy another if I were to replace it. Has held up for probably 10-12K rounds and shows no sign of stopping. Buy the best you can afford, there is no savings in buying low end and trying to add upgrades, costs more in the long run and the result may or may not be better than having bought a higher end gun to start with. If you can afford it I would recommend the Range Officer.

When I purchased my 1911 I chose the RIA Ultra FS. I chose it for the adjustable rear sight. The price was right and I love how it shoots. I did send the barrel to DougGuy to get it throated and crowned. It eats anything I feed it. It was worth sending the extra at the beginning to get the adjustable sight.

Documentation, please as I cannot find where they have stopped production of pistols. They appear to have stopped production of the double stack 1911 that was a Para clone. Should they be getting out of the pistol business I would like to confirm as I have several friends that have bought and and are planning to buy an R1 based on my experience with them and them using my firearm.

Boolit Master
    I have a few 1911s including a REAL 1911 of WWI vintage for comparing. Bang for the buck, anything from Armscor in the Philippines seems like a good deal. I have an ATI "GI" in commander length that has been a favorite and cheapest 1911 clone. Good friend has an STI Spartan which is essentially the same gun QCd by STI. I just think they are the best bang for the buck out there. The ATI I got was $350 new at a gun show a year or so ago.

The ATI is no match gun but it's plenty well made and accurate enough to make for a really fun shooter. At least it doesn't have to live in a safe! And it doesn't rattle!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_7432.jpg  

Banned
    I like the Beaver tail added and trig on those ATIs ...Saw another good review on them

Boolit Master

I bought another 1911, to serve as a target pistol. I wanted it to work, and even be good enough for Bullseye work. I bought a Springfield Range Officer, and took it to a gunsmith to have a trigger job and the barrel bushing tightened. It shoots really well. I got the idea here:
    https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3913-...nge-officer-45

The Taurus and Turkish pistols have some complaints, amongst them being the groove diameter on the Taurus barrels run really big, and the custom smiths refuse to work on the Turkish guns because some dimensions are off.

Boolit Master

I've got a Kimber Custom Classic, which was their plain vanilla full size 20 years ago. Works fine when I treat it right. Also have 3 Para Ordinance that I got in my double stack phase. These were all from when Para was still in Canada and making good stuff. I finally scratched the itch that I had and got a Dan Wesson just last week. I may get to shoot it if it stops raining.

I have one other .45, a Glock 21. I like it but it has no soul.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I bought another 1911, to serve as a target pistol. I wanted it to work, and even be good enough for Bullseye work. I bought a Springfield Range Officer, and took it to a gunsmith to have a trigger job and the barrel bushing tightened. It shoots really well. I got the idea here:
    https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3913-...nge-officer-45

I've been eyeballing the Springfield Range Officer too , thinking of the upgrades I would want to do on a lesser model. Might as well spend that money to start with on the goodies. Good sights(adjustable), beaver tail spur, Flat spring housing, etc.

But now im looking at that low priced$ ATI 1911 Firepower Extreme model ,, Yikes !
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ducts_id/75560

Last edited by GSP7; 03-15-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Which 1911?

I would suggest going with the RO. I bought the SA milspec and did extensive accurizing work on it, but wish I had adjustable sights. Also, the gun was so accurate out of the box that some of my work may have been superfluous. Still was a great learning process and gun remains a tack driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groo here
    1911 specs are like "carved in stone".
    Almost anyone can make one,or parts for one and almost any smith can work on one.
    The best can make one that will eat almost anything and stack holes on top of each other.
    The big question is what do you want it for, how tight do you need the groups, and how good do you shoot???
    I suggest a good quality frame and slide.[750 to 1000 range] that you can make small changes to as you learn.
    If you out shoot that one [most won't] then you have a good base to get a high end one or have one made....

I presently don’t have a 1911 myself. I’ve traded just about everything for S&W revolvers. I’ve owned dozens of them. I don’t believe in second rate guns. Doesn’t have to be a $2500 job but I want a good gun. I don’t have anything good to say about several low end 1911s that others swear by. The Remingtons I’ve had to fool with looked like the inside of slide & frame were milled out by a beaver on menth. I had one new one a guy took apart to clean before first firing and he couldn’t get it back together. After it made my fingers bleed I had to polish out muzzle of slide to get barrel bushing back in.

Boolit Master
    ed brown

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast