Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
Depending on where in eastern Nebraska you are I suppose, but there are some matches just across the South Dakota and Kansas borders where you could use that rifle. Plus the Alliance Rifle Club host's 3 big matches a year, plus monthly matches usually starting in April at their Hoffland range 10 miles east of Alliance. There also have been rumors of some matches getting fired up and going on a range down around Grand Island, but I haven't seen anything official as of yet.
I live outside of Omaha, so I'm as far from both south and north borders as I can be. My son's girlfriend is from Alliance and he's up there all the time but it's a 6 1/2 hours drive. Grand Island would n't be bad though so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
That rifle should be OK to compete in the Cast Bullet Assn. matches in Sioux City. I used a Swedish 1867 rolling block in one of their matches, also present was a trapdoor and a 71/84 Mauser. If your rifle has a bayonet lug , it should qualify as a military issue rifle.

I'm not sure of this year's shoot dates, with all the virus disruptions, but if you want info, I can get you in touch with someone that runs the shoot.
I can do Sioux City. When you mentioned it I pulled up their 2020 match schedules. I also see that there are some matches down in Kansas City area that might be worth consideration. Thanks much for pointing me in that direction. Even if I don't have the Borchardt ready I can always use my Shiloh Sharps, Lone Star Rolling Block, and I'm pretty sure I still have an imported Sharps as well as a Browning High Wall somewhere (I'm kind of losing track of my "inventory" )

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
I found a Borchardt military wreck in much worse condition than the one pictured. I patched the wood up as best I could, stained the patches so they matched the grungy brown of the original and let it go at that.

The bore was so clogged with rust it couldn’t let a cleaning patch through. I lined it with an 18” twist TJ liner and chambered it back to .45-70.

I found the missing sight slider and am still looking for something for the receiver sling ring. The cleaning rod was gone, and loose ones are rare and expensive. I faked up the tip from Internet pictures with a lathe, drills, tap and knurling tool, and screwed on a piece of 3/16” steel rod, threading the other end to fit the first section of a modern takedown cleaning rod handle. The rod, as it fits under the barrel, is too short to push all the way through for cleaning.

The target models that used tang sights had the rear tang milled out for a detachable extra long tang, with integral sight base, that was held in the mortise by a screw. I have a casting for the base, but didn’t have the heart to machine the receiver. Borchardts in any original condition are rare. Maybe I’ll add the base to my overpolished varmint rifle receiver when I shoot the barrel out, and remake it into a Long Range blackpowder gun. It’s the only way I’d ever be able to afford one.

Mine shoots 540 grain grease grooves and 525 gr paper patch boolits very well with black powder, but that light rifle really backs off that boolit a right smart! Brings tears of joy to my eyes!
I love the sound of that rifle, fits my sense of aesthetics to a "T".

-Ron