MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Ok, Now It Is Fixed

Ok, Now It Is Fixed

I was having trouble with my 45-70 shooting precisely, but shifting POI after so many shots. I thought I had it fixed a few days ago with a heavy duty bedding of the stock, but that wan't the problem, because 6 shots later the POI changed again.

Well, I had another problem, the action would open from time to time under recoil, and someone suggested I need the locking lugs needed filing. So I figured that could be the problem, since I knew the stock could not fit any better than it did. Sure enough, it has been 17 shots and the POI seems to be stable.

Now I have a good Ohio deer hunting rifle!

Boolit Master
    I had to "tighten" the lockup on one of my handi rifles by fitting the lugs a little bit better. It also helped in accuracy problems.

I have a question and hope it doesn't side track/hijack your thread: I know the Hunter is not listed as a take-down like the other model, but can it be taken apart at all easily, or is the pin pressed in rather tight?
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    I have a question and hope it doesn't side track/hijack your thread: I know the Hunter is not listed as a take-down like the other model, but can it be taken apart at all easily, or is the pin pressed in rather tight?
    The pin comes out easily, I use a wooden dowel and small hammer. The edges are beveled so it goes back in just as easy. You need to remove the forend stock to get at the pin, 2 screws.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a lock-up issue with an H&R Handi. Keeping the lugs free of oil & grease solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I had a lock-up issue with an H&R Handi. Keeping the lugs free of oil & grease solved the problem.
    The way mine works now, I assume is how it was supposed to work all along. The lever is somewhat stuck in the close position. Before it would open on me while walking in the woods; whereas, I would loose my cartridge. It also was dragging a bit; now, after the polishing, it simply goes into the proper spot.

Good luck with yours!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    The pin comes out easily, I use a wooden dowel and small hammer. The edges are beveled so it goes back in just as easy. You need to remove the forend stock to get at the pin, 2 screws.
    Thanks
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Good shooting, nice looking rifle, thanks for sharing!