Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45acp

Banned
    My 1911 45 ACP shooting falls into two separate eras. The first era was dominated by 230 grain bullets and the second era is almost entirely 200 gr SWC.
    From my limited experience, the H&G #68 (or some clone of that profile) is hard to beat as an all-around bullet in 45 ACP. I'm using the SAECO #69, which is the flat base 200gr SWC and I can find no fault with that bullet.

Going over 230 grains is hard on the gun, even with a heavier recoil spring. Plus it consumes more lead per round.
    Going lighter than 200 grains usually requires a lighter recoil spring if target velocities are the norm. I've never been impressed with lightweight 45 ACP bullets; the low recoil has its place in some target shooting applications but it loses most of the other attributes of the 45 ACP.

That puts us in the 200 - 230 grain range - which isn't a bad place to be for that cartridge.

My vote is for some 200 grain SWC !

Boolit Master
    I also vote for the H&G style 200 gr SWC, I have been using it for the last 35 years in a lot of 1911's and every one else I know uses it also.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry I haven’t posted since I started this thread but a lot of good responses!I ordered the lee 230 gr tc.If it doesn’t work for the gun I get I will melt me down and get a new mold,lol

Boolit Master

Kinda depends on what you want from your Pistol.
    Do you want light target loads ?
    Or Heavy Ball loads ?
    Or something in between ?

I'll start with a Hardball load;
    Lyman #452374(225gr) or Lee #452-230-TC over close to max charges of W231 or Unique.

A very soft load for paper punching, with a light spring in a 1911 would be the old Lyman #452488, a stubby WC over a Light charge of Bullseye. A 1911 needs a very good ramp&throat job to feed this Load. But Very Accurate.

A fine in between load is an H&G 68 or one of the many Clones.
    I've used the RCBS #452-201-SWC a lot the last 20+yrs, had 3 molds for awhile. 2 where marked SWC & one was marked KT. Not a penny's difference between them. RCBS told me years ago that Elmer Keith complained about using his "name" so they changed it to SWC.
    I just got a MP 200gr Brass mold to cast an #68 clone, looking forward to using it.

Over close to a max charge of W231 I get good accuracy and perfect feeding in either of My Colt 1911's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Personally, I prefer the 200 grain SWC style. In 230 grain, the truncated cone design feeds well and is a good choice.
    I have killed more paper with .45 200gr SWC than any other bullet. I used to buy them from Raineer Ballistics 2000-3000 at a time.

If I had to pick one gun and one load for maximum enjoyment it would be a mild load with the 200gr SWC and a 1911. I enjoy seeing one ragged hole on my targets

K

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Attachment 258509

From a loading and shooting standpoint, 1911's like the LBT 230gr LFN a lot. Seat it to where the ogive starts at the case mouth, and there are no problems with tight throats. This also happens to put it at perfect COAL. The feel when they feed is like they're not feeding anything - very smooth. The flat nose also hits hard and it has great penetration capability with hard alloys.4

I've since been playing with the similar NOE Ranch Dog because I wanted the same concept in a tumble lube slug.
    That is a good looking bullet I have been lusting over the last few months.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    Sorry I haven’t posted since I started this thread but a lot of good responses!I ordered the lee 230 gr tc.If it doesn’t work for the gun I get I will melt me down and get a new mold,lol
    I think you made a good choice. I’m liking that one more each time I use it, actually.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    What’s everyone thought on the best 45acp bullet to cast.Dont even have a 1911 yet but I might as well get me some bullets made for when I get one!
    I’m sorta in the same boat. My oldest son just won an auction CZ97, 45acp, so I’ve started to make him some Lee 200 gr RNFP as I’ve acquired 1500 once fired cases, cheap. So I don’t own a 45acp to try them out, just have a case guage. Now I (need) one also, may just get one for the wife, she needs one.

Boolit Master
    Now will have to build a boolit trap to catch those heavy suckers,this is a fun hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I’m sorta in the same boat. My oldest son just won an auction CZ97, 45acp, so I’ve started to make him some Lee 200 gr RNFP as I’ve acquired 1500 once fired cases, cheap. So I don’t own a 45acp to try them out, just have a case guage. Now I (need) one also, may just get one for the wife, she needs one.
    I would suggest to not get carried away loading up yet. From what I have learned so far is that CZ and Tanfoglio have very tight, short chambers. My witness would not cycle SWC profiles and with the Lee 452-200 RNFP I had to load it down to 1.120" and the Lyman 452374 the Lyman manual lists a starting length of 1.272" and I had to seat that bullet down to 1.250" to get them to seat and plunk in and out.

I'll be watching to see what you come up with!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I would suggest to not get carried away loading up yet. From what I have learned so far is that CZ and Tanfoglio have very tight, short chambers. My witness would not cycle SWC profiles and with the Lee 452-200 RNFP I had to load it down to 1.120" and the Lyman 452374 the Lyman manual lists a starting length of 1.272" and I had to seat that bullet down to 1.250" to get them to seat and plunk in and out.

I’ll wait till he gets it and does some shooting and measuring before i make a bunch. Dillon is set up for 9mm right now and have several hundred to go till I’m out of cases anyway.

Then will set up to do the 45s.

If that CZ is like my Witness it's going to be great fun to shoot. I've almost given up on my 9mm.

I am also working up a load with a Lyman 225gr RN and cannot wait to try these too.

Boolit Buddy
    I have only 1 45acp hand gun , a Sig 1911 . I cast the Lee 452-230 RN Tumble lube bullet . I either tumble lube them or powder coat . Either shoots with great accuracy and feeds well in my gun . Regards, Paul

Boolit Buddy
    I've always liked a 200 grain bullet, H&G-68 for paper targets and a lee RNFP for steel targets.

Boolit Bub
    I already have a bullet trap I bought off of eBay.Its a heavy duty sucker.Dont remember who I got it from but there is always one up for action.You should check it out.If your patient you can get one for around 130.00 I believe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

I second this.
    When I was just starting out reloading I didn’t have my gun (xd45) with me and just used a case gauge to check rounds.

When shot a round got jammed so hard into the rifling I about had to beat the slide open.
    That gun has no throat at all and it was a very weird bullet (commercial cast) RN with a step in the body.
    I had to show the bullet to other reloaders as they didn’t believe me when I tried to describe it.

I now only trust the plunk test and my pretty chamber gauge sits unused some where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also have an XD Mod2 to go along with the Witness 45acp. The XD is tight and short but the Witness is even tighter and shorter than the XD.

Boolit Master
    My wife bought me a old 4 cav 452460 with handles in the original box years before I owned a 1911. Its one of the sweetest molds I own, easy pouring and the 4 bullets fall out when you open the handles.

Boolit Master
    GONRA votes for lightman.

Boolit Master

Looks like Tom at Accurate Molds has a copy of the LBT: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230A-D.png

If you're looking for aluminum, it's going to be REALLY hard to beat the original from LBT for ability to cast great bullets fast, but it's hard to say what Veral's current production is into. Accurate CNC system lets you pretty easily customize dimensions and his delivery is FAST even if you DON'T consider that each order as a custom mold.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast