MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45acp

Boolit Bub

45acp

What’s everyone thought on the best 45acp bullet to cast.Dont even have a 1911 yet but I might as well get me some bullets made for when I get one!

There are a good many number of 45acp molds available. In my case I found out the hard way that the Springfield XD Mod2 has serious problems with a SWC profile. It all has to do with the ejecting round catching on the lip of the next following round. From what I have read is Springfield made a modification to the XDm slide and that remedied the problem. I also ran into this problem with my Tanfoglio Witness. It may be worth while to obtain the gun then try some precast 1st.

Boolit Grand Master

The old standby 230 grain round nose is never a bad choice. My favorite is any one of the Hensly & Gibbs #68 clones.

The Lyman 452374 or the RCBS equivalent would be my choice. RN bullets run without aggravation compared to the TC or SWC varieties. The lee TL452-230-2R does well too if money for a mould is tight.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    The old standby 230 grain round nose is never a bad choice. My favorite is any one of the Hensly & Gibbs #68 clones.
    Those two are the ones I'd chose also.
    Because those are the two that I shoot.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a very small sample size, but I have yet to see a 230 gr RN shoot great. That includes cast or the standard FMJ. They can be good for sure, but never past your usual 2-3" at 25 yards or so. They should feed good though.

If all you want is an accurate target bullet, then let me recommend the Arsenal 453-210 Grain TC – H&G 68 Bullet. Feeds like a dream too.

For a 1911 that's even a little tricked out, the 200 TC is hard to beat.

It is or was a big time favorite for competition shooters.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Depends on the task at hand for the gun. H&G 68 can cover most my needs if not all.

Personally, I prefer the 200 grain SWC style. In 230 grain, the truncated cone design feeds well and is a good choice.

Vendor Sponsor

When you do get a 1911, look in the barrel and if it has rifling running right down to the chamber mouth/headspace ledge, get the barrel throated then you can run whatever boolit you choose, seated out ever how long you want to seat it, as long as it will cycle through the magazine, and enjoy your newfound hobby!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    I have excellent results with the Lee 200 gr LSWC, sized to .451" and loaded over 5 gr of Bullseye.

I shoot a stock Auto Ordnance with GI sights.

I've run them all in my Colt Commander, had it throated so it'll handle the Lee RNFP...a notorious cast for the un-throated pistol but a cool looking and I'm sure hard hitting cast.

After all the various casts and then getting this un-throated Kimber, my all time favorite is the Lyman 452374 RN...it just runs and runs and runs.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

DougGuy makes a good point. I had him throat the barrel in my 1911 and it feeds/chambers anything.
    Unfortunately, I own a couple of 45ACP pistols that have hardened barrels, making having them throated problematic. I am getting away from the semi-wadcutter boolits for that reason. They feed fine but won't chamber consistently.
    The Lee 452-200-rf serves well for these guns and still works well in the 1911. There may be some small difference in accuracy, but I can't tell the difference without using a solid rest.
    My handheld group sizes have not changed any by using it. It is fast becoming my boolit of choice for 45ACP.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    DougGuy makes a good point. I had him throat the barrel in my 1911 and it feeds/chambers anything.
    Unfortunately, I own a couple of 45ACP pistols that have hardened barrels, making having them throated problematic.
    Throating salt bath hardened barrels no problem, it just costs more because carbide reamers are the only thing that will cut one and they are 3x and 4x the cost of a HSS reamer.

The ones I don't do, are the case hardened barrels. You can't "shave" case hard it just doesn't work that way.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    H&G 68, hands down.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    2 very solid choices there.

I honestly can't decide which I like better in a 1911, the classic H&G 68, or the Mihec 200gr RNHP.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    I cast with three Lee molds, 452-200 swc, 452-200 rf, and the 452-230TC. my Sig 1911 stainless target has been throated by Doug and all three feed great. I’m not good enough to tell the difference on the target so don’t really have a favorite. I tend to load the 230 and rf at hard ball velocities, and the swc at 750-800.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Throating salt bath hardened barrels no problem, it just costs more because carbide reamers are the only thing that will cut one and they are 3x and 4x the cost of a HSS reamer.

The ones I don't do, are the case hardened barrels. You can't "shave" case hard it just doesn't work that way.
    Which category do the Springfield XDm barrels fall into?

After my impulse purchase of a Star PD in 45 auto, I acquired a one cavity Lyman 452406 SWC 200 gr. Cast with range scrap sweetened with a little tin, it does not lead the barrel with target velocity loads, and is boringly accurate.

BTW: if and when you ever need boolits to experiment with, you can always work a trade with people on this forum. Every time I have posted about wanting to try a new boolit, members have sent me a box for free. I have also contributed when I can.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

The Lee clone of the HG 68 runs great in a 1911! I've been using up some old DuPont 700-X and then I will move on to WST.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast