RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman Mold handle help.

Lyman Mold handle help.

Went to the sticky for Handle Pictures and they no longer exist. So if anyone can help.

I recently bought 2 used Lyman molds. one is a 358495 141gr WC 2 cavity that came with handles the other is a 452374 225gr RN single cavity thank came w/o handles.

So I tried swapping the molds on the handles and the single cavity mold does not close completely. There is a gap on the inside toward the handles. Most of the time I can get good Boolits but if I don't squeeze tight I am getting a fin on the top of the bullet. What can I do/should? Can I fix this?

Moderator Emeritus

I have taken handles with similar "problem" and marked the edge of mould on the handles with a Sharpie. I then remove the mould, open the handles as much as I can, tighten one in a vise, and... file away. (The hardness of steel Lyman uses is quite hard, imho.) Then, file similarly on the other handle. I am careful -- e.g., why I use a vise -- to try and make my filing square and not to dis-pleasing to the eye when done. I have Dremel and Fohredom tools, but on the three or four handles I've needed "modify" so mould halves will close -- I used a mill file.
    Good luck!
    geo

Thanks georgerkakn,

Once again still learning. Just found out that there are 2 sizes of Lyman handles. Small and Large. The single mold is an old small and the double ins a newer Large. Drats!!!

This is the perfect justification to buy more power tools.

Something else I've done is to drill two more holes in the handles almost 1/4" farther forward to fix that.
    I ran into that problem when putting one companies mold on the other's handles.

I can't remember what the mix was, but I only have Lyman and RCBS molds & handles.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    This is the perfect justification to buy more power tools.

Something else I've done is to drill two more holes in the handles almost 1/4" farther forward to fix that.
    I ran into that problem when putting one companies mold on the other's handles.

I can't remember what the mix was, but I only have Lyman and RCBS molds & handles.
    Another huge tanks. I have a table top drill press but no vise for it. may have to get one.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Another huge tanks. I have a table top drill press but no vise for it. may have to get one.
    FYI, Harbor Freight purveys real, real el cheapo drill press vices for eighteen dollars or so, with your ability to pretty much getting a 20% (sometimes 30%) off coupon. Home Depot sell the same vise with no gimmicks for $12.80 under the brand name YOST. (Pictured) I bought mine from Harbor Freight, and it took two returns before I got one which both opened/closed as it should -- and, when closed, the jaws wereClick image for larger version. 

Name:	YOST HomeDepot Vise.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	258543 equally shut across them. My first purchase only allowed opening maybe half-way before it really started to bind; then, to the 2nd: when jaws were shut on the left, there was almost 1/8" free space on the right. So -- I do recommend either -- provided you check out operation before you leave the store .

On another note, interestingly, to MY experience, Lyman purveyed FOUR different handles set. To wit was the first Lyman/Ideal handle which was made JUST for single cavity moulds; complemented with their second set, made for two cavity moulds. For four cavity, they came out with their infamous "nutcracker" handles, which resembled.... a nut-cracker -- with the mould fastened between the outboard hinge and the handles. And, finally, their latest rendition purportedly holds both one and two cavity moulds.

If you elect to try drilling more holes, a caveat I offer is: WEAR SAFETY GLASSES using good cutting fluid and Cobalt or similar drills designed for hard steel drilling. As I found, and you may when filing handles to fit your moulds -- the steel they use is, indeed, quite hard. More than a challenge for el cheapo drill bits.

BEST!
    geo

Thanks Geo... In my case both Home Depot and Menards are much closer to them than HF. ATM I am still debating trying to drill these or just get another set of handles. I placed a WTB in Swapping/Selling and have received a couple offers so far. Though I'm leaning to the fact it may be cheaper to buy another set than guying a vice and then the proper size Cobalt dill.

I have used Cobalt drills on some very hard Stainless Steel and they cut very nice holes.

Boolit Master

New Lyman handles come in 2 or 4 cavity handles. The 4 cavity fit all the Lyman molds.

I'm not a fan of the old style handles. I've got a couple of ammo cans full of them.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Thanks georgerkakn,

Once again still learning. Just found out that there are 2 sizes of Lyman handles. Small and Large. The single mold is an old small and the double ins a newer Large. Drats!!!
    3 sizes if you include the 4 cavity. Newer, 1980's era sc also fit on dc handles. Older sc do not and are a different drill pattern.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze