Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Lubing powder coated boolets????

Boolit Grand Master

Lubing powder coated boolets????

Anyone lube them????
    I use lube with carnuba, and like how it left a coating in the barrel.
    Any problem with doing it????

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 30AS insists on it !

Very accurate and a nice finish
    in the barrel.

I accidentally left Lanolin sizing lube on a batch and it worked fine.

Boolit Master

I lube to fill the lube grooves as my experience has been that you can push the CBs a lot harder and still maintain good accuracy in rifles. My theory is that slump or deformation occurs to the CB if the lube grooves are empty.

Additionally the protection against rust that the lube film provides is of value to me. Some of my rifles go many months between cleanings although they are shot often and in quite large number of rounds. No rust and no fowling shot needed.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I mist my PC bullets with a 12 to 1 ratio of 99% alcohol to lanolin mix before sizing.

Boolit Master
    I don’t lube w lube on Pc but I do spray my bullets w Hornady one shot pretty heavy and I don’t remove it. I did this for sizing then noticed it actually made my barrel look pretty nice compared to no Hornady one shot

Boolit Master
    I have wondered about this also. Is there a lube more compatible with PC. I have even thought about vasaline in cold weather.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I have rolled them in JPW just to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked, and worked well, I must admit. My old 30/30 barrel was really clean!! Shot good, but I didn't do a side by side test. can't hurt I guess.
    Just my opinion.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I was getting some leading in my bore, which shot plain based coated bullets about 2050fps, I added some lube to the grooves and the leading ceased.
    So if there is a problem, sure.

Banned

not me. I don't miss the mess and filth from lubed bullets. Never had leading without it. Ive shot 556 stuff up to 2700 fps with no leading.

Boolit Bub
    I lube after powder coat then just put some mica powder in to keep the sticky feeling away. never see any build up but the bores are always nice and shiny and clean up very easy. Seems to make resizing after shooting a lot easier on the necks. Back when I tumble lubed the mica was a real good addition. Really kept things a lot cleaner especially my fingers and dies.

Boolit Master
    ones with big lube groves that will obturate flat I fill with lube to prevent it. small lube groves I sometimes smear LLA on wax paper thinly then roll the coated bullets on it to get a bit on the bearing surface, not needed but they seat smoother if they felt grippy when seating and gives great looking bore

I had an interesting experience the other day.

Had some old 9mm boolits I had cast up and coated with LLA years ago. The dummy in me thought hey I'll just soak these in some acetone to clean the lube off.....nope. Not wanting to remelt them all, I just decided to see what would happen if I PC'd them as they were.

I tried a few at first. After shaking them in the bucket to get them coated, I noticed that the powder was very nicely stuck to them more so than usual. Figured as much because they were kinda sticky to begin with.....

While baking them, I could smell that old familiar LLA smell. I do miss that about using the stuff.

What really surprised me though, is that when doing a smash test there was zero difference between them and some fresh casted(non-LLA coated) boolits that I had PC'd.

I have not shot many yet, but I am really curious to see how they do in the long haul. I am not sure if the LLA combined with the PC and in the process burned off? But it did make me wonder if it might not be the ticket to reaching even higher velocity with cast boolits.
    "Education is not the learning of facts, it is the training of the mind to think" - Albert Einstein

Think about it...

I heat treated some BLL coated and found the wax flowed but the LLA gave a spiderweb effect. They still shot fine. Bama coated his with cable pulling (old yeller) and then PCd, says it worked quite well. Old yeller is basically called soap but seems to be more wax. alox is calcium soap. So, off to try some JFW/BLL coated then PCd. I did One Shot some for sizing before PC and that worked but One Shot isn't cheap. I suspect anything 'damp' or sticky would contaminate the PC powder.
    Whatever!

Very lightly coated with BLL, Smoke's black stuck good, just 'dipped' but came out with pinholes after cooking. Really like Dots candy spaced real close. Coated area stuck good, no scrape off or cracking.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I have to ask.....if you need to lube them anyway why not just forget the powder coating altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    I have to ask.....if you need to lube them anyway why not just forget the powder coating altogether?
    What fun is there in that?

Been PCing for a long time. My conclusion is PC stays on the boolit down the barrel, just gets abraded (kinda like sanding wood) and prevents leading. Cold barrel (first shot) POI are not off POA like with some lubes. No lube goobers or lack of volume of lube. Barrel still gets dirty from PC & powder 'dust' and BLL or other overcoat seems to prevent any dirty buildup. Not convinced myself lubed PC is any faster, just works and isn't much trouble. BLL doesn't stay on PB boolits when pushed HV - I get leading. When I was pushing LG boolits in 308 to jacketed fps I didn't notice any loss of accuracy due to LG collapse but I do use a relatively hard alloy.
    Whatever!

I have a bunch of lubed boolits that I would like to PC, so maybe I will try it.

Boolit Buddy
    Popper, are you saying you are pc OVER conventional lubes? Or are you using conventional lubes OVER PC?
    Last edited by igolfat8; 03-25-2020 at 09:13 PM.