WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought an old Rossi 92 ... Have a few questions

Bought an old Rossi 92 ... Have a few questions

It's an Amadeo Rossi Made in Brazil, imported by Interarms and chambered in 44 Magnum. I don't know when it was made. Maybe the 1980's? That is my first question, how do you date one of these babies? Is it a "Puma"? There is no Puma anywhere on it. I dont even know what this Puma business is all about.

The seller tells me his brother was the original owner and it was fired very little. It's in real good condition and the action is still nice and tight. You can tell it has not been broken in yet. I love the way it looks with the darker wood and light handling marks. Old school cool.

The only thing I don't like are the sights. I'll need to find something better. If The gun shoots well enough I will change out the sights and see about slicking up the action a bit. I have read else were that the older Rossi 92's have a bigger sight dovetails. Does anyone make sights that will fit? I sold all my tang sights to my brother missionary5155! LOL Oi don't think I want a tang sight on this one anyway. Maybe something more like these:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ampaign=Itwine

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ampaign=Itwine

There is some kinda funky grey traction material on the steel butt plate. I'll remove that.

Anyway here are a few pics I took last night. They are not great as it was late and I was in a hurry. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 4given; 03-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Boolit Bub
    Nice lever action , check in over at the Rossi forum. Great wealth of info.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/index.php

Mark

Boolit Master
    I had an older rossi 92 in 357 -- the front sight was part of the barrel band on that one - missing when I got it - I made one from a hunk of 1/2inch flat - made the blade wider than standard then just cut a decent size square notch in the back sight and filed it flat across the top - that thing shot nice - sold it to a mate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rossi 92.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	258447

Boolit Buddy
    That’s the nicest lumber I’ve ever seen on a Rossi

If that's old it a looker congratulations.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have one of that same era, but in .44-40. Rear sight dovetail is 10mm instead of US 3/8"

They are sturdy guns which shoot well. If you don't want to drill and tap receiver for a Lyman peep, there are Euro replacement sights which fit the 10mm dovetail which you can find on EvilBay.

Firearms International of Washington DC first imported Rossi firearms into the US in the 1960’s. At first the Rossi Model 65 SRC was imported only in those calibers being produced for the South American market , .38 Special and .44-40. From 1968-74 FI’s successor, Garcia Corporation took over importation and that was when the first .357 and .44 Magnums appeared.

In 1975 Interarms of Alexandria, VA took over the US import rights to the Rossi product line. Rossi-made 92s produced for Interarms were the first ones to be marked with the Puma trademark, a homage to the Spanish El Tigre. Rossi also made Winchester 92 clones for Navy Arms, EMF, and LSI. The rifles imported by Navy Arms were as well fitted and finished as original Winchesters and featured American walnut stocks. Guns imported by EMF, LSI and Interarms were more utilitarian, but were rugged and serviceable.

Early Garcia Corp. and FI guns had some rough machining and feeding problems, while later 1980s imports made for Navy Arms, EMF, and Interarms, were better executed, and functioned reliably, if remaining “a bit rough until they had been run in a bit.”

During the mid to late 90’s, EMF imported Armi San Marco Italian made 92's. From about 2000 to 2006 the EMF imported Rossi 92's without the top bolt safety, but rifles from 2006-2009 have it, which seems to establish when that feature became standard on the US imports.

In 2009 Taurus acquired Rossi and took over the distribution under the Braztech name. EMF and LSI lost distribution rights after the Taurus buyout. LSI markets the Italian Armi-Sport/Chiappa 92 and still calls it the Puma Model.

Prior to January 1, 2009 Amadeo Rossi made the Puma under contract with LSI after Interarms closed in the mid 1990's. About this same time Navy Arms had also started again importing Rossi 92's. Not long after, several former Interarms employees formed Legacy Sports International (LSI) and began importing the Rossi 92 as the Puma.

BrazTech is the partnership of Rossi and Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. Headquartered in Miami, Florida, BrazTech became exclusive importer for Rossi firearms in 2009, at which time the LSI contract to supply the Puma was terminated.

Since January, 2009, all "Puma" –marked 92s made for LSI (which now owns the former Interarms trademark) have been manufactured by Armi-Sport / Chiappa, of Italy. Armi-Sport rifles and carbines made for LSI are marked "manufactured by Chiappa Firearms for LSI". They often (but not always) have a prefix of "T" for their serial numbers. If a "Puma" 1892 does not have these features, it was probably a model manufactured by Rossi prior to January 1, 2009.

The Armi-Sport/Chiappa Puma are more expensive than the Rossi, but are well turned out.

Rossi still makes its 92 clone, either Braztech marked, and/or marked "Made in Brazil". The Taurus/Braztech you buy today is made in the same factory as prior '92's imported from Brazil by LSI and Interarms, except pre-2006 models didn’t have the pigtail safety on the bolt. Around 2000, Rossi re-tooled with CNC machinery to ease manufacture, improve fit and finish and they are said to be well turned out.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-11-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Great information by All. the Guy who can fix you up with the correct sights are Steve at Steve's Guns , He probably knows more about the Rossi's than Rossi. Steve has a video about slicking up the action that is Very Good. https://stevesgunz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    That’s the nicest lumber I’ve ever seen on a Rossi
    Thanks! It is pretty nice
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have one of that same era, but in .44-40. Rear sight dovetail is 10mm instead of US 3/8"

They are sturdy guns which shoot well. If you don't want to drill and tap receiver for a Lyman peep, there are Euro replacement sights which fit the 10mm dovetail which you can find on EvilBay.

Firearms International of Washington DC first imported Rossi firearms into the US in the 1960’s. At first the Rossi Model 65 SRC was imported only in those calibers being produced for the South American market , .38 Special and .44-40. From 1968-74 FI’s successor, Garcia Corporation took over importation and that was when the first .357 and .44 Magnums appeared.

In 1975 Interarms of Alexandria, VA took over the US import rights to the Rossi product line. Rossi-made 92s produced for Interarms were the first ones to be marked with the Puma trademark, a homage to the Spanish El Tigre. Rossi also made Winchester 92 clones for Navy Arms, EMF, and LSI. The rifles imported by Navy Arms were as well fitted and finished as original Winchesters and featured American walnut stocks. Guns imported by EMF, LSI and Interarms were more utilitarian, but were rugged and serviceable.

Early Garcia Corp. and FI guns had some rough machining and feeding problems, while later 1980s imports made for Navy Arms, EMF, and Interarms, were better executed, and functioned reliably, if remaining “a bit rough until they had been run in a bit.”

During the mid to late 90’s, EMF imported Armi San Marco Italian made 92's. From about 2000 to 2006 the EMF imported Rossi 92's without the top bolt safety, but rifles from 2006-2009 have it, which seems to establish when that feature became standard on the US imports.

In 2009 Taurus acquired Rossi and took over the distribution under the Braztech name. EMF and LSI lost distribution rights after the Taurus buyout. LSI markets the Italian Armi-Sport/Chiappa 92 and still calls it the Puma Model.

Prior to January 1, 2009 Amadeo Rossi made the Puma under contract with LSI after Interarms closed in the mid 1990's. About this same time Navy Arms had also started again importing Rossi 92's. Not long after, several former Interarms employees formed Legacy Sports International (LSI) and began importing the Rossi 92 as the Puma.

BrazTech is the partnership of Rossi and Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. Headquartered in Miami, Florida, BrazTech became exclusive importer for Rossi firearms in 2009, at which time the LSI contract to supply the Puma was terminated.

Since January, 2009, all "Puma" –marked 92s made for LSI (which now owns the former Interarms trademark) have been manufactured by Armi-Sport / Chiappa, of Italy. Armi-Sport rifles and carbines made for LSI are marked "manufactured by Chiappa Firearms for LSI". They often (but not always) have a prefix of "T" for their serial numbers. If a "Puma" 1892 does not have these features, it was probably a model manufactured by Rossi prior to January 1, 2009.

The Armi-Sport/Chiappa Puma are more expensive than the Rossi, but are well turned out.

Rossi still makes its 92 clone, either Braztech marked, and/or marked "Made in Brazil". The Taurus/Braztech you buy today is made in the same factory as prior '92's imported from Brazil by LSI and Interarms, except pre-2006 models didn’t have the pigtail safety on the bolt. Around 2000, Rossi re-tooled with CNC machinery to ease manufacture, improve fit and finish and they are said to be well turned out.

Wow! Great info! I'll check ebay thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by .45colt View Post
    Great information by All. the Guy who can fix you up with the correct sights are Steve at Steve's Guns , He probably knows more about the Rossi's than Rossi. Steve has a video about slicking up the action that is Very Good. https://stevesgunz.com/
    I'm sure you are right. Looks like they are not shipping any orders right now.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I had an older rossi 92 in 357 -- the front sight was part of the barrel band on that one - missing when I got it - I made one from a hunk of 1/2inch flat - made the blade wider than standard then just cut a decent size square notch in the back sight and filed it flat across the top - that thing shot nice - sold it to a mate.

Name:	rossi 92.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	258447
    How did you attach the front sight to the barrel band??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    How did you attach the front sight to the barrel band??
    Its a one piece affair - these are not the best arrangement but I wanted to keep to what the rifle had originally - the whole thing is just cut out of a solid piece of steel - then shaped (lots of filing and polishing - but took less time than you would think) - so there is no dovetail, no ramp, no block on the barrel to hold the blade, its just carved out of a chunk of 1/2 inch flat. The barrel band has to be fit neat so that it will not move at all when the centre screw is tightened down.

Drill the two holes neat and correct position for the magazine tube and barrel, then drill the screw hole through, the rest is elbow grease!

Boolit Buddy
    4givin wrote "I'm sure you are right. Looks like they are not shipping any orders right now. " give Him a call ,all He can say is No. Steve is the "92" man..

I put a Skinner Peep Sight (barrel mount) on my R92 and I love it. Just my 2 cents

http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html

I put a vintage wheel elevation Dockendorff rear dovetail sight on my last Rossi. It had the pinned blade in the barrel band front sight and they mated well. Numrich has them. Best for me would be a good receiver sight but d&t would be required. That’s a very nice gun. With luck, it will function fine as is- but I’ve had a few and they all needed help to run. Accuracy was excellent in each case, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I put a vintage wheel elevation Dockendorff rear dovetail sight on my last Rossi. It had the pinned blade in the barrel band front sight and they mated well. Numrich has them. Best for me would be a good receiver sight but d&t would be required. That’s a very nice gun. With luck, it will function fine as is- but I’ve had a few and they all needed help to run. Accuracy was excellent in each case, though.

You can attach a receiver sight without drilling and tapping, I've been doing it for years. I used the rubber adhesive that came with Poly Choke ribs for a lot of sights, even did a front sight ramp on a 30-06. I have a 92 Winchester I attached a Williams receiver sight to over 20 years ago, it's still solid.

There must be some brand of rubber adhesive around that would work as good, I've read of using epoxy or JB Weld, never tried it though.

I have a 92 in 357. Only issue I had was that the front sight was too low and it shot high with the 357 loads. Took a needle file and filed down the rear sight and it worked then said to heck with it and D&T it for a Williams receiver sight. Been a good rifle and has given me lots of enjoyment. My Brother in Law had an early one in 45 Colt and it spit in my face when I shot it. Heard later they needed a stouter load to seal the chamber using a straight case. Mine had not caused any issues with 38 specials. For lighter loads I now just load them in the 357 cases as I prefer not shooting short cases in the chambers. Probably does not matter but it don't hurt to it that way.

DEP

I decided on a Skinner peep sight. It will be in tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

Boolit Grand Master

Good choice. We have Skinners on several lever rifles.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Hello 4given,

I purchased my Rossi new a long time ago, and it is a Puma.
    I always wished it wasn't, as the medallion looks kind of cheap.

AntiqueSledMan.

Name:	Puma.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	258818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi-2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	258823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	258824
    Last edited by AntiqueSledMan; 03-19-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast