Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Parts for an older Ponsness Warren Metallic 2 Press

Boolit Mold

Parts for an older Ponsness Warren Metallic 2 Press

I am looking for a primer tube shield and the small and large primer tubes. The primer tube shield in this reloader attaches to the base plate whereas the newer versions mount to the top plate. I checked with Ponsness Warren and they no longer have the primer tube shield.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PW Metallic 2 Press Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	258434

After thinking about it for a while that Primer Tube Shield might be made from a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" pipe.

Pressman might know for sure. There has got to be someone here more familiar with these machines.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Randy, that someone is not me. I have the 1, but know know nothing about it.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies Randy and Pressman. I see that Blindshooter on this site used old Lyman Priming tubes and Hornady Projector Priming tubes on this old style Metallic 2 press. The Hornady tubes are no longer made and very hard to find. I sent a PM to Blindshooter asking if the Lyman tubes are p/n's 7412052 and 7412053 as these can be sourced from a few suppliers. I will check on the tread size and see if a blast tube can be fabricated from steel pipe as you suggest.

Boolit Buddy
    Measure the ID of the recess for the blast tube,and either post here or PM me.
    I have several sizes of steel tubing that may work once we know the ID of that recess.
    One of the sizes of tubing I have has an OD of .520"

The Hornady blast tube is .625" OD x .045" thick wall, it has a steel bushing pressed into the bottom that has a .500" OD and a .312" ID for the primer tube to go thru and stop internally on.

J Wisner

Quote Originally Posted by cainsriver View Post
    Thanks for the replies Randy and Pressman. I see that Blindshooter on this site used old Lyman Priming tubes and Hornady Projector Priming tubes on this old style Metallic 2 press. The Hornady tubes are no longer made and very hard to find. I sent a PM to Blindshooter asking if the Lyman tubes are p/n's 7412052 and 7412053 as these can be sourced from a few suppliers. I will check on the tread size and see if a blast tube can be fabricated from steel pipe as you suggest.
    I can get measurements of the parts I have if that will help. I'll be in the shop some tomorrow, I'll try to remember to get the base size of the tubes and see what I did for the blast tube.
    I know I could loose an eye but I run that primer system sometimes w/o the shield. I don't bang on it and keep it clean and the seater is a good distance from the pickup. Love that old press, hope you can get yours to work.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies James and Blindshooter. The thread for the blast tube is 1/2" NC with a minor ID of 0.4084 as per the specs. The ID for the primer tube end to fit into is around 0.300" as near as I can measure with a vernier. Wall thickness for the blast tube will need to consider the minor id of the thread as well as allow for the primer tubes. The ends of the small and large primer tubes must be able to fit in the 0.300 " diameter hole.

cainsriver, do you have any of the primer parts?
    I had to fabricate a insert for the small primer feed. I use a seamless steel tube over it for a blast shield.
    The ID of the original large primer insert is .312.
    The original large primer tube(if it is actually original) is .311
    The lyman tubes measure .311
    The Hornady Projector tubes measure .308
    The ID of the original blast tube measures .363
    Added a few pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails met2primer.jpg   met2 tube insert.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Ponsness seems to have replacement parts On line.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Ponsness seems to have replacement parts On line.
    Not so much the old primer feed. I think you can get all the new stuff. The new primer seat post parts will work, at least they did on my older model.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Blindshooter for the measurements, very much appreciated! With this info I will be able to come up with something that will do the job. It appears 5/16 or 0.312 is a standard primer insert by a few manufacturers. I agree a steel blast tube is the way to go. Also my 0.300" was wrong and is actually 0.311. I took the part off the reloader and was able to get a better measurement.