RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An embarrassment of riches

Boolit Grand Master

An embarrassment of riches

So there I was, doing a bit of spring cleaning, (mainly because I didn't feel like working on my new house) when I found a mold I had absolutely no memory of buying. It was a Lyman DC 311316, with handles no less.

I thought to myself, "I'm glad I didn't get the one I saw in swapping and selling the other day."

Then I picked up the mold that it was resting on. Uh oh, another 311316.

Obviously they are multiplying by themselves....

I almost think I know where I got one of them, but I am not 100% sure, more like 20%. And I still have no earthly idea where the second one came from.

Oh well, I have plenty of .30 and .31 caliber rifles to use them in. At least I used to.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

It's been happening to me too lately... spot a can of WD40 , self says your almost out , get home and find one half empty can and 6 brand new cans....where the heck did all them full cans come from I swear I don't remember buying them ! They reproduce ...yeah , that's the ticket !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

[QUOTE=Mk42gunner;Obviously they are multiplying by themselves....[/QUOTE]

That happens to me.

I quit leaving any cigarettes in the shop, and never turn off the lights.
    It seems to help.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I could never find my Arrow stapler. So I would buy a new one, only to immediately discover the one it was intended to replace. It got to where I wouldn't open the blister packaging on the new stapler, because I knew I would be returning it.

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to get a sizing die for 223 so I can start to try and load up some cast. Luckily I went out and checked the sizing dies and found a 0.225 Lyman sizing die I had picked up years ago cheap and forgot about it. Now if I can only come across a nice 41 Mag revolver so I can use the die set I bought years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Right after I retired I started a major cleanup. Closets, garage, my shop, ect. I started finding buckets of lead and brass that I didn't remember getting. I just kept finding them. Not a bad thing but I was scratching my head!

Boolit Grand Master
    I started gathering up staplers for my Fall Schuetzen event... I found 3 heavy duty and 3 standard duty staple guns and a bunch of boxes of staples. I put them in a box and lost it right after the match but found another one or two additional standard duty staple guns. I’ve since found the box so I think I now can actually lay my hands on 3 heavy and 4-5 standard staple guns and a 15 year supply of staples. After that somebody else can run those matches!

I found about 100 or so 311316 bullets in a little International Coffees can, but can’t seem to locate my 311316 DC mould. Did one of yours have a return address from Central Va? I don’t remember going through MO lately, but these days there’s more and more I’m not remembering!

Maybe we should organize something like the “Island of Misfit Toys” where we could send these mystery items so they could be adopted into loving homes.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Went to clean the battery terminals on my tractor. Couldn't find the brush tool I normally use. Quick trip to the auto parts place and bought the last three they had. One brush in the tool box on the tractor, one in the tool box in the garage and the third went in another box by the car port. Bright yellow easy to see. But bought two more recently to clean the rust out of the old black iron oxide Armstrong wrenches that are over 25 years old. Forgot I even had them. Frank

Boolit Master

I can go on record to say that I have ordered dies that I forgot that I owned.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I sometimes buy dies at a local gun show. When I got my Krag I bought a Redding 3 die set. And keep tabs on a sheet of paper scotch taped to the storage cabinet. Turns out now I already had two RCBS 2 die sets in 30-40 and two RCBS 35 Remington 2 die sets. And don't even have a 35 rem. And forget about shell holders. Frank

Boolit Master
    You all old guys need to get your act together and organize and label all of your reloading stuff and tools in your shops so you know what you have. I think I was going to do that myself about 5 years ago, but never got around to it. Or was that 10 years ago? And I wonder why I have those two sets of 32-40 reloading dies up there on that shelf?

perhaps one of your 311316 molds drops bullets bigger than the other, if so not bad to have both sizes.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    Sure is nice to have company, now I don't feel so alone.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

I recently cleaned my shop and tried to get the apples with the apples, or at least the apples into the fruit department.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4492.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	258572
    There's 11 chalking guns in that picture, and I have 3 more out in the big shop, and I did toss a couple that were beyond saving.

Talking about spring cleaning, I went out to have a look at my main shop bench to see if it needed "spring cleaning".

Name:	IMG_4493.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	258573
    After careful consideration, I determined that it was unnecessary as the organization was obvious. Everything was in it's place: WD-40, chainsaw, 2-cycle oil, break clean, jumper pack, can of foam, leaf blower, generator, and various tools on the bench that you can't see in the picture.
    After all "spring cleaning" is only called for when you can't get to the shelves because of all the stuff on the floor in front of the shelves. Sluff factor.

My reloading room is far more organized for safety concerns. Plus duplicating reloading die sets is pricey. I only have 4 duplicate sets, that I know of.

Boolit Master
    Quick - open your gun safe to see if the rifles are also multiplying......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by glaciers View Post
    I recently cleaned my shop and tried to get the apples with the apples, or at least the apples into the fruit department.

Name:	IMG_4492.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	258572
    There's 11 chalking guns in that picture, and I have 3 more out in the big shop, and I did toss a couple that were beyond saving.

Talking about spring cleaning, I went out to have a look at my main shop bench to see if it needed "spring cleaning".

Name:	IMG_4493.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	258573
    After careful consideration, I determined that it was unnecessary as the organization was obvious. Everything was in it's place: WD-40, chainsaw, 2-cycle oil, break clean, jumper pack, can of foam, leaf blower, generator, and various tools on the bench that you can't see in the picture.
    After all "spring cleaning" is only called for when you can't get to the shelves because of all the stuff on the floor in front of the shelves. Sluff factor.

My reloading room is far more organized for safety concerns. Plus duplicating reloading die sets is pricey. I only have 4 duplicate sets, that I know of.
    I don't know what the deal is on caulk guns? I have several, not quite as many as you, but several. Maybe they are like 9mm brass and multiply!!!

My Wife and I decided to hunker down for a few weeks and see what this virus thing is going to do. I'm probably going to do some cleaning up around here. The garage, my shop, ect.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ... it's called Early Dementia -your doctor has Rx prescriptions such illnesses
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    ... it's called Early Dementia -your doctor has Rx prescriptions such illnesses
    Yes, I know. I have seven on the shelf in my medicine cabinet.

I just found a random duplicate Lee 365-95-1R mold...nice casting mold though, it's such a short and (comparatively) fat bullet that it is the easiest casting bullet I've tried yet. At least I'm set up to make plinking rounds for my FEG and also able to size these down for plinking rounds for my revolver.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Love that mold - makes a nice GC plinking round with RD out of a 30-30.

A couple of years ago, I started weeding out my 50 + year collection of molds - as I sorted, I had quite a few that I never use anymore - I keep a listing of the molds and when I sell one, I just make a note of it next to the mold number. It SEEMED to be working well - but then I began to notice that I would be looking - a bad thing to do - and every once in a while I run across a mold/design that looks interesting and like it might be fun to try - then i the a look on my mold inventory and discover that I HAD ONE AND sold it or I STILL have one - my mind hasn't completely turned to mush though - I still remember where i live!

Maes me think of that old saying - "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in th bush" - only kit should be - "a mold in the hand is worth the 2 sitting on the shelf in the reloading room!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast