Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Gas check bullet in 50/70

Boolit Buddy

Gas check bullet in 50/70

I have a sorta "odd" rifle. I have a 50/70 govt .510 grove built on a Ruger #3 receiver. I'm wondering about a gas check designed bullet in the proper diameter. My thoughts are by having the gas check in place I could do away with the wad stack in the case allowing more powder capacity. Trying to eek out as much space for blackpowder in the case. Anyone doing this? Or am I way off base.

Boolit Master

Why do you think a wad stack is necessary? I've had good success with a single thin card wad or none at all with a plain base bullet. Do you have Croft Barker's .50-70 shooters Handbook? It's a great resource.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I have the book and use it frequently. Most all wisdom says to use a wad of some sort. They take up valuable cartridge space that powder could be occupying. I just figured a gas checked bullet would protect that big flat base from gas cutting and eliminate the wad. I load for my Rem Roller 50-70 but have this much more modern rifle. Just trying to wring as much out of this short fat round has to offer. I have yet to try smokeless loads and that is always a possibility down the road.

Vendor Sponsor

A 0.030" LDPE wad can't be a lot thicker than a GC. I would start with that.

I am not sure a 50-70 Govt. is very much challenged for powder capacity for most any intended job, but just in case, I chambered the roller I built to a 50-90 SS and that is about all I need to do any job. In fact, it is a real kick. In hindsight I think a 50-70 is a really good choice for most uses.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-12-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I agree Chill.. I really enjoy shooting my 50-70 roller and my newfangled Ruger #3. The #3 just seems to be begging for a little magnumitus, hot roding if you will .. Maybe smokeless is the way to go in the Ruger?

Boolit Master

As Chill Wills said, a single .030 wad is about the same as a gas check and is often helpful. But in my experience, multiple or a stack of wads adds no value to accuracy. It would be fun to try gas checks just to see what happens. I've never looked, are they available? I have made heel bullets by simply chucking standard bullets in the lathe and turning the heel. You could do the same thing to make a gas check bullet from a standard bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a #1 in 50-70. With smokeless, its quite a thumper. Matter of fact, you can get to the point where three rounds and you are done! Kind of going from mild to bring tears to your eyes levels

Boolit Grand Master

They are available. I have some for my 500S&W that should work. Just how much velocity do you want?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure what I'm expecting out of it. My standard loading is 65grains weighed Swiss FFG, drop tube 28", 1-.030 card wad, compressed enough to fully seat the Lee 450 grn govt bullet. My accuracy is fine with that in both my rolling block and the Ruger. Just saw a .511 gas checked mold on NOE's catalog and it got me thinking..what if. I've seen plenty of gas checked 50 cal bullets offered by different sellers. As far as smokeless goes. Probably follow the published loads in my 4th edition Lyman cast bullet catalog and work up slowly. 1400 fps would be great.

Hello Harleysboss,

How about a picture of that #3.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FE797A0-F317-4369-AD8D-CC24481549E4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	258541

Boolit Buddy
    #3 action with #1 wood. 28” octagon barrel. That’s a barrel mounted Skinner peep sight.

Boolit Grand Master

I dont think the wads thickness will fain you much, even a .060 or .090 wad. Black powder is bulky and takes up room so maybe 2-3 grns. Since the velocity gain per grain of BP also isnt what smokeless is the velocity gain may be less than 75 fps got this.

Normally in the BP loaded rounds a softer bullet is used to aid its swelling to seal the bore, with the gas check it may strengthen the base to were this sealing dosnt occur as well. May be a place where the softer aluminum checks are better