Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Bullet seating issue

Boolit Buddy

Bullet seating issue

I am sure that there’s a simple solution and or modification I can do to prevent this. But using my Lee seating does I seem to get this ring from the seating stem in the finish. How are people getting around this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3A2E002-1409-4C9A-8D36-9730BB8AC60B.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	258403

Boolit Master
    I have the same problem, I was thinking about sanding a radius on the edge that touches but I didn't get to it yet so cant say how it works

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    I have the same problem, I was thinking about sanding a radius on the edge that touches but I didn't get to it yet so cant say how it works
    Sanding a radius worked for me on a rcbs stem reduced the mark it left on the bullet a great deal.

You can use a hot glue gun to make a seating stem temporarily conform to the shape of the bullet. If you want to make it permanent, you can use epoxy.

The way I do it is on my drillpress, so the stem is aligned properly with the bullet. I coat a bullet with wax, put a small dab of hot glue inside the seating stem, and with the seating stem in the chuck of the drillpress (not running, of course), I lower the chuck until it rests solidly on the bullet and let the glue cool. The wax acts as a release agent, and when the glue is cured, you have the perfect shape of THAT BULLET. If you load several different bullet shapes, you can have extra seating stems, one for each shape, or load in batches and conform the seating stem for each batch.

The nice thing about using the hot glue is you can remove it easily.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    The hot glue or epoxy is the best way. However, I was too lazy and shoved a wad of paper towel allowing enough for compaction. It’s worked for over 15 years and 250K - 300K rounds without issue. Plus the same die and wad works with three different bullet styles without changing it out. I’m just a hack!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master

I have polished the seating stem a couple times, reshaped the stem cavity once or twice, but since the "ring" is only cosmetic, I live with it. On my cast bullets, mostly soft in today's thinking (10-12 BHN) the ring does not appear on all shape bullets and most times I have to look for it. On some bullets a "fitted" stem helps consistency in seating depth...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

The hot glue solution works well for me too.

On some styles of bullet noses a more fitted seating plug my help the bullet go straighter into the case.
    I'm with the hot glue crowd on this.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    You can do the hot glue gun thing or send a bullet to Lee and they will make a seating stem to fit.

Boolit Grand Master

Custom fit the nose with a small ball of epoxy putty , the putty doesn't drip or run into places you don't want it to get into .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    The hot glue or epoxy is the best way. However, I was too lazy and shoved a wad of paper towel allowing enough for compaction. It’s worked for over 15 years and 250K - 300K rounds without issue. Plus the same die and wad works with three different bullet styles without changing it out. I’m just a hack!
    After 250k boolits, it isn't a hack. It is a workable solution. If it only lasted 100 rounds, it would be a hack.
    I hadn't heard of that technique before. Interesting.

I just ignore the ring. It doesn't bother my accuracy so It isn't a real problem. I don't care what they look like as long as they function perfectly.

Boolit Master
    If it only happens on your flat tip bullets, I'd try a bolt. KIS.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome! Thank you for all of the tips everyone. Going to try out the hot glue truck and the paper towel trick. The ring doesn’t “bother” me, but I see pictures of everyone else’s loads and I feel mine aren’t adequate haha

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    You can do the hot glue gun thing or send a bullet to Lee and they will make a seating stem to fit.
    I know! I’m using Lee dies and both of these bullets are Lee molds too. Why wouldn’t they make a stem for them

Quote Originally Posted by makeurownfun View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for all of the tips everyone. Going to try out the hot glue truck and the paper towel trick. The ring doesn’t “bother” me, but I see pictures of everyone else’s loads and I feel mine aren’t adequate haha

I know! I’m using Lee dies and both of these bullets are Lee molds too. Why wouldn’t they make a stem for them
    I have that same ring on most of my RN boolits also due to the Lee seating punch. I very seldom post pictures of my loaded rounds since I don't want the negative feedback about how they look. I only care about how they perform.
    I was at the benchrest range at my local club when a man came by and asked what I was shooting, so I handed him a loaded round. He took a look and said "I wouldn't load a cartridge that dirty into MY rifle."
    The cartridge wasn't dirty. It just wasn't polished to a gleaming shine like his were.
    Later we compared targets. My groups were 50% smaller than his were at the same distance. He didn't have anything to say then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have that same ring on most of my RN boolits also due to the Lee seating punch. I very seldom post pictures of my loaded rounds since I don't want the negative feedback about how they look. I only care about how they perform.
    I was at the benchrest range at my local club when a man came by and asked what I was shooting, so I handed him a loaded round. He took a look and said "I wouldn't load a cartridge that dirty into MY rifle."
    The cartridge wasn't dirty. It just wasn't polished to a gleaming shine like his were.
    Later we compared targets. My groups were 50% smaller than his were at the same distance. He didn't have anything to say then.
    That is a good story , you gotta love a happy ending .

Boolit Buddy
    Release agent on bullet. JB Weld on seating stem. Let it dry. Had to do that with my Hornady 30 cal 30 Carbine stem because those Hornady Short Jacket bullets are super soft. Hornady didn’t have a solution when I called them... Sigh....

Boolit Man
    I have flipped the seating stem for flat nosed boolits using Lee dies.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. The seating stem marks the bullets? The seating stem either has a rough indent/cavity or doesn't fit the bullet being used. So, either polish out the cavity or modify the shape. Several methods to do this are posted above...
    My Anchor is holding fast!