WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where is the love for 243?

Boolit Master
    One good thing about the .243 falling out of favor is that there are a lot of really nice ones out there for pretty cheap right now.

Boolit Master

I owned a .257 Roberts for several years and then started shooting 6.5mm cartridges (currently I own rifles in 6.5 Jap, 260 Rem, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x55) and never saw the need to add a 6mm cartridge to the mix. (I cast for or reload for 26 standard or wildcat rifle and 12 different pistol cartridges already and none in 6mm)

That said, I'm seeing NRA Highpower and PRS shooters using 6mm Creedmoor rifles more in matches lately so perhaps more folks are picking up the 6mm chambered rifles for a reason. For me? Lack of mold selections in 6mm keeps me from adding the caliber to the list of rifles I own.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards got my first donated 243 kind of, my son brought his over and wants me to build him some test loads for it . At least I have one to play with now.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m trying to pawn off a lee Enfield to buy a another 243 upper before the election.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sold my Lee Enfield the other day. I just used the proceeds a few minutes ago to order a rear charging 20” bear creek Arsenal 243 upper for $318. Woo Hooo!!! That will put me at 4...wait...3 and a half 243’s. I’ll try it out on my current 243 lower and see how it shoots before it’s gets it’s own lower. I’m sure I’ll buy another Areo M5 lower for it eventually.

Bunch of 243's here,and one nice old R700V in 6mm. Years ago as I was just starting to transition away from JB's had never cast for anything smaller than the 30's. I have been casting since the mid 1970's so had plenty of experience,just nothing "small". Snagged a RCBS 95g mould. Even with it not fully broken in,and dropping a precious few,even visually acceptable specimens.....

Found the jam length in the minty 6mm,did basic case prep,found a starting load of 4759 and it shoots bugholes. Hasn't been dramatically different in the 243's. Working with a TC Prohunter now in 243. Have been loading and shooting almost every day. It's a whole heckuva lot lighter than a bolt action varmint rig.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my 243. Killed my first deer with it 50 years ago, and I still have the rifle - a Rem 660. Never tried cast in it, though. I know guys who routinely kill elk with it, but I'm not too keen on that idea. But it shows how good penetration is with the right bullet. Too big for varmints? Nonsense. Who eats ground squirrels anyway? All in all, a very versatile caliber.

Boolit Master
    My wife's Mossberg 243 absolutely loves the CB's from an old Lyman Loverin style mold. The powder is Unique and the MV is 1850 fps. She is a better shot than I am, of course, and MOA or smaller groups are normal for her. I wish I could get my 6mm Rem to like CB's as much.

Boolit Master
    We have a couple or 3 Savage 99's in 243. My wife has killed many antelope with her 99 Featherweight and the 95 gr Partition. It is a under MOA with 95 Partition, under 3/4 MOA with the Sierra 100 gr. I carry 99E as a truck rifle and 'not elk season' saddle gun. We have a 99C we use on the range with 55gr Noslers. I have cast for 243 with an 84 grain Loverin style from Lyman with good accuracy. OK for practice or coyotes and smaller under 200. The lack of recoil is pleasant, with a flat trajectory with jacketed useful for very long ranges. The 243 is one of easiest to find of the factory loadings, up there with the 30-30, 30-06, 308 and 270.

Boolit Master

Sorry I have No love for the .243Win, tried it using a Rem600.
    It didn't kill any better then a .250-3000 with 100gr Sierra's and wasn't as accurate as my old Savage 99-A.
    My ancient .257Rob'ts uses 115-120gr bullets shoots farther and kills better.
    Traded the REM 600 in on a New Ruger M77 in .250-3000.
    Most Accurate .25cal I own.

And no I've never tried cast in anything smaller the 7X57.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    no love for the 243 either

6.5x55 is way more better

Boolit Mold
    The 243win doesn't need accolades, those who own one, know the virtues of the venerable 243win!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    One good thing about the .243 falling out of favor is that there are a lot of really nice ones out there for pretty cheap right now.
    Well said!

A few years ago I bought my first lefty, a stainless Savage in 243. As I recall it was $289 and barely used.

As a Savage rifle tinkerer, I swapped out the 243 barrel after shooting it a while (it shoots well) and fitted my 6mm BR barrel on it. It would not feed well from the fixed magazine with the shorty round so I single fed it. Then I swapped it to .22-250 and it feeds and shoots great.

That .243 stainless barrel is not going anywhere, trust me.

I also have a stainless sportier 260 Rem barrel, a Varmint weight .220 Swift, a .22/243 AI 40 degree ...... all in line to try.

Warning, do not become a Savage bolt gun nut!

It is a mental disease!

LOL!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123