Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 gauge loads

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I’ve got one of those vile things hanging in my loading room . I’d rather deal with the recoil than that uncomfortable thing .
    To each his own. I've got the super mag +, the thickest one they have. Under a jacket, I forget it's even there.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had some luck with 00 , 000 , 0000 (.380) and 00000 (.395) having killed deer with them all in 2 7/8” 10’s . I used to put the 00 and 000 in the SP-10 shotcup , but after getting the 0000 and 00000 to work without the petals and a mylar wrap I’ve gone to petalless for the others . I also still add buffer with the mylar wrap loads . Well I use buffer in all my buck loads but at first I didn’t when I’d remove the petals . I should go on and get some of the BPI already chopped has seal wads or whatever you call them , but trimming the others seems to work well enough . And I’ve got 25 of each size 0-00000 loaded so I doubt I use them up anytime soon unless I get a new to me Parker 10 and wanna test it .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    In the 2 7/8” hulls I’m getting eight of the 0000 (.380) and six of the 00000 (.395) .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    To each his own. I've got the super mag +, the thickest one they have. Under a jacket, I forget it's even there.
    That the same one I have . I didn’t wear it under a coat . But I don’t care for it changing the LOP .

Boolit Grand Master

Can you provide some more details on the .395" buck? I'm using Remington hulls myself, which seem fairly thick compared to Federal. I feel like two .395" balls, plus wrap would cause chambering issues. .380" has a little wiggle room, but not much.

Have you tried without mylar wraps? I'm using them in 12 gauge, as the hulls I'm using shred during firing if I don't. In a higher quality hull it seems they hold up just fine without the wrap, and I've not conclusively found that they pattern better or worse.

Boolit Grand Master

That the same one I have . I didn’t wear it under a coat . But I don’t care for it changing the LOP .
    I use mine even with a T shirt, it just has more tendency to snag. The LOP is definitely a problem for me with scopes, but has not with sights. The recoil pad is annoying compared to not using it, but I prefer it to getting slammed all day. I only use it for the bench, where speed is no concern.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I forgot i had a nef single shot 10 gauge before i bought my first browning. Cool little gun. It came with an extended choke at the time and i didnt know why because no one made chokes for it.

Boolit Master
    Can you provide some more details on the .395" buck? I'm using Remington hulls myself, which seem fairly thick compared to Federal. I feel like two .395" balls, plus wrap would cause chambering issues. .380" has a little wiggle room, but not much.

Have you tried without mylar wraps? I'm using them in 12 gauge, as the hulls I'm using shred during firing if I don't. In a higher quality hull it seems they hold up just fine without the wrap, and I've not conclusively found that they pattern better or worse.
    .395 balls do not stack you can’t get two in a layer but it works out I can get six in there with the petals removed . I like the mylar wrap and hopefully it cuts down a little on lead smears inside the barrel . I pretty much only use Remington hulls , buy a couple hundred new each year .

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting. I don't have a .395" mold at the moment, but I found I can fit 6 .457" ballls in there, which makes about 2 ounces. I could maybe get 7 with a roll crimp.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I don't have a .395" mold at the moment, but I found I can fit 6 .457" ballls in there, which makes about 2 ounces. I could maybe get 7 with a roll crimp.
    You’re using a longer hull than I am and I assume you’re using the thinner BPI gas seal wad versus the thicker base of the SP-10 wad that I use . I try and keep the payload between 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 ounces .

Boolit Grand Master

You’re using a longer hull than I am and I assume you’re using the thinner BPI gas seal wad versus the thicker base of the SP-10 wad that I use . I try and keep the payload between 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 ounces .
    I was comparing with the X10X and nitro card. Nothing wrong with a lighter load. My gun cycles 1 1/2 ounce no problem, 1 1/4 was too light. Maybe in the future I'll try the .395", but since I have the .457", I may as well try that.

Boolit Master
    I was comparing with the X10X and nitro card. Nothing wrong with a lighter load. My gun cycles 1 1/2 ounce no problem, 1 1/4 was too light. Maybe in the future I'll try the .395", but since I have the .457", I may as well try that.
    You’re missing the point . You’re using a 3 1/2” Hull and the thinner gas seal wad . I’m using a 2 7/8” Hull and the thicker base of the SP-10 . I put all the pellets I can in the hull using what I’ve got and it’s just as well since most all of my 10’s are damascus or twist barrels .

Boolit Grand Master

You’re missing the point . You’re using a 3 1/2” Hull and the thinner gas seal wad . I’m using a 2 7/8” Hull and the thicker base of the SP-10 . I put all the pellets I can in the hull using what I’ve got and it’s just as well since most all of my 10’s are damascus or twist barrels .
    Absolutely. And you are getting some real firepower from those "weak" old guns. I too like to use wads with cut off petals for some things.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been playing more with buckshot and slugs. In the 10 gauge, I tried a few things. One was a buck and ball load of six 000 buck, and a .784" ball. Unfortunately this load tears the hull up bad when firing. I think if I added a Mylar wrap around the shot, it may cure this. For large buckshot, I tried some .460" balls. While I can get 6 in, 5 fits a lot better, and brings the payload to about 1 5/8 ounce. My load was Rem hull, Rem primer, 40gr Bluedot, x10x, Nitrocard, mylar wrap, 5 pellets .460" buckshot, buffered, fold crimped. This got me only 8,700 psi. I think I'll try 41 grains, and pattern it in my full choke barrel.
    I tried slugs, the .784" balls again, this time with 46 grains Bluedot. I shot without a choke this time, and accuracy was not effected in the slightest. both 5 shot groups went right at 4.25" at 50 yards, and to the same point of aim. I'll likely just keep using the choke. Velocity was 1310 fps, with effectively a 20" barrel. With choke brings it to 23", and may be a touch faster.
    Some had asked about recoil of this gun. Before doing any 10 gauge, I was shooting my 12 gauge ultra slug hunter. I was shooting the Accurate 73-770S slug. The load was a Federal new top gun hull, Fed 209a, 30gr bluedot, x12x and 3 nitro cards, fold crimped. Accuracy was very good, 4" CTC at 100 yards. Velocity was likely around 1100 fps, I did not test. Recoil of this was significantly more than the Mag10 with mentioned slug load. Night and day. The USH isn't light either, at around 9 pounds currently. The only thing the mag10 has is more muzzle blast with its shorter barrel and huge powder charge.

Speaking of the USH, I tried one load I've thought about for a while, it's a flop, so I will not post data. It was a .715" ball patched with pillow ticking, exactly as I would use in a muzzleloader, patch lubed with crisco. I rammed this combo down the bore, and found it a nice snug fit, but not too tight. I pushed the ball and patch in the hull during loading, and cut off flush with the hull, just like cutting a patch at the muzzle. I was pleased with the following group at 50 yards for a first attempt. The bad, I only pulled half a shell out of the gun after shooting. I could find no patches on the ground, and had a good idea why. BEHIND the 50 yard target I found the patches and hulls. What I created was a knife-free cut shell. I can't believe these shot as good as they did. I don't know any way to fix this, so I'm scrapping the idea. I may try the same ball with a mylar wrap for a patch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutaccuracy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	258781

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutshell.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	258782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12