Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladle Casting - how many cavities can you pour?

Boolit Master
    All my ladle casting is done with a Rowell #2.............more than enough lead for the largest moulds. I prefer no larger than a five cavity. The mould will fit diameter, wise, inside the top of the pot. This way, excess poured alloy makes it back into the pot. IME, one can never pour too much alloy. Keeps the mould and sprew plate up to proper casting temperature. When the mould is operating correctly.............a glove hand is all that necessary to cut the sprew.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I cannot speak to consistency, I cast handgun plinking and most of my issues are gunk on mold related.
    Never bothered measuring enough to generate a real bell curve plot, but spot checked average is +/- 1gr, any more than that and I have gunk on the mold faces.

I just use a kitchen soup ladle, 50 cents from the thrift store, just picked up a second one a few weeks ago.
    Scorched the plastic handle on my original last year, it was left frozen in a pot of lead.
    I must have cranked the heat up high next session and it got scorched while melting the pot.
    Oh well, 10 cents a year, no complaints, and it still works, but I don’t trust the handle.
    It holds less than 2lbs full, I need a little of a second pour to fill my 2lb muffin tin molds.

Holds plenty of lead to fill a lee 6cav 230gr 452 mold, large sprue, and have lead left in the ladle.

I pour over my pot and just let excess run back into the pot if I feel I need to heat the mold/sprue plate some more when starting or after taking a break.

So I would vote for a larger ladle, I sure wouldn’t want to use a smaller one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With my ladle, which is pretty small, I can do 3 cavities, so I have to use two ladles full for each 6-cavity mold. It doesn't seem to slow me down much. I use my left hand for my ladle, so the nice bottom-pour rotometals ladles don't work for me, I don't need to be clumsy when using molten lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12