Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Actions in 44 special

Banned

Single Actions in 44 special

I got a itch for a short barrel, packing, 44 special SA

Ruger has that flat top medium frame bisley offering, Ruger #5236

Then got to thinking , Does anyone have a 1873 Colt clone in 44 special.

After trying to navigate Cimarron's difficult web site I found 3 in 44 special.-- Model P, -Thunder, -and Bisley-( not sure who makes these... Pietta?)

I dont think Uberti offers a 44 special on the Uberti website

Do you guys know of any others in 44 special

I have an Uberti "Frisco" in .45 colt. It is an dandy traditional single action and I would not hesitate to get one in .44 special if offered. One member here has posted some impressive targets and critter pics shot with an Uberti .44 special.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a Cimarron 5.5" Ubertti in 44 Special; great gun, I got it for a great price slightly used complete with box, papers and Cimarron "Huckleberry" bumper sticker.
    Taylor and Co. have every style you could possibly want, as well.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have a Uberti Cimarron 1873 SAA in .44Spl with the old model frame.
    Excellent revolver, well fitted and accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    How short?

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti Flat-Top Target Model, 7-1/2” barrel, originally in .44-40, that I fitted a .44 Special cylinder to. Amazingly accurate, and I haven't used the original cylinder in years. You might see if they offer that model in .44 Special now, with a shorter barrel. The adjustable sights are less obtrusive than the usual run of revolver sights, and even with the long barrel, the gun feels nice and “alive.”

Boolit Grand Master

You can't go wrong with the Ruger. My Lipsey flattop packs just fine in a Simply Rugged pancake holster and is accurate to boot.

Attachment 258367
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I have a Uberti Flat-Top Target Model, 7-1/2” barrel, originally in .44-40, that I fitted a .44 Special cylinder to. Amazingly accurate, and I haven't used the original cylinder in years. You might see if they offer that model in .44 Special now, with a shorter barrel. The adjustable sights are less obtrusive than the usual run of revolver sights, and even with the long barrel, the gun feels nice and “alive.”
    All I could find in Target models is 22cal, and a callahan target in .44 mag

Boolit Master

My Ruger stainless flattop loves unique and 240 grain cast.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Single Actions in 44 special

Just saw this post after posting this pic on another thread. Sorry for the dupe.

Cimarron 44 Specials with Elephant Ivory

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Moderator Emeritus

I have 5 sa Rugers and the 44 flattop is the most accurate.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    I got a itch for a short barrel, packing, 44 special SA

Ruger has that flat top medium frame bisley offering, Ruger #5236

Then got to thinking , Does anyone have a 1873 Colt clone in 44 special.

After trying to navigate Cimarron's difficult web site I found 3 in 44 special.-- Model P, -Thunder, -and Bisley-( not sure who makes these... Pietta?)

I dont think Uberti offers a 44 special on the Uberti website

Do you guys know of any others in 44 special
    Here's you a deal- NIB Cimarron Model P 4 3/4" .44 Special

They turn up from time to time on Gunbroker and Dixie Gun Works typically has a good selection of .44 Special's.

I have an older Uberti that was someone's 44-40 CAS revolver. I fitted a .44 Special cylinder to it and it has been my workhorse, accounting a few deer and a hog. Despite being a little loose from all the competition shooting and heavy-ish hunting loads, it's still quite accurate and will run a 258 gr. SWC near 1,000 fps without breaking a sweat.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    I’ve got one of these:

http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearm...awk-flattop-44

Love it!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these. https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101346138

I have had it for more than a decade and has lived most of its life as a safe queen. I will make it a goal to shoot it soon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    I have one of these. https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101346138

I have had it for more than a decade and has lived most of its life as a safe queen. I will make it a goal to shoot it soon.
    Hey , that's a shooter ! what cha hiding in the safe for ?

Boolit Mold
    My wife shoots a pair of Lipseys Sheriffs models 3 3/4" stainless Vaquero's 44 Spec. in SASS, very nice handling guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Cimarron single action in .44 Special that shoots extremely well. However, the sights are first generation Colt's (that is to say, nearly impossible to use) and the revolver does not shoot to the sights. It is a beautiful revolver with an almost too light clean breaking trigger. It's a shame it doesn't have better sights.

I have two of the Ruger Flattops - one is a SS with 4 3/4" barrel and one is a blued 5.5" barrel. Both of them shoot extremely well, have a great set of sights and are totally practical. Of course, being Ruger, they each needed a trigger job when purchased. I had that taken care of and can hardly find anything to say, but "Top Drawer". They are about as good as it gets! I can recommend to any who wants a really GOOD single action. My most used load is the Skeeter load (7.5 grs. of Unique behind a Mihec correct copy of the H&G #503 cast bullet (250 gr. Keith).

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Took a photo this morning of my last two 44 Specials. The Ruger started out life as a .357 mag but was converted to .44 Special by Cosby Custom Gunsmithing. I am its second owner. Both the original owner and I probably "paid too much" in light of the fact that Ruger did their own shortly thereafter. I have always suspected that the original owner knew it was coming and traded in his pistol before Ruger's news became common knowledge. Regardless, it is a good shooter and I am pleased to have it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44 specials.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	258519

Boolit Master
    As much as I like the looks of a traditional style single action , adjustable sights make life much simpler so Ruger Flat top Bisley was my 44 special choice and it is an easy gun to for me to hit with.

Boolit Master
    My Ruger BH 4 1/2" in 44 Special is my favorite revolver. After a lot of testing off a rest, I settled down to 6.8 grains Unique under a .430" Speer 240 grain swaged SWC, or a laser cast Oregon Trail .431" 240 grain with 6.5 grains of Unique. Both loads run about 900 fps in the Ruger. Appears to me the most accurate for my Ruger. The load is good enough for the wilds of Arkansas - no Griz down here. Just like the other poster, first thing I did when I got it was put in a trigger spring kit and new grips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger SA June 28a.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	258535
    Last edited by JoeJames; 03-13-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast