RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoti Down!

Boolit Master

Yoti Down!

I've noticed a sharp decline in the deer population in my area & there is a lot of reasons
    & opinions floating around. Blue Tongue seems to be getting a lot of credit for this decline in population. I've also noticed a sharp decline in the rabbit,quail (almost non-existant), & turkeys. This past muzzle loader season I took out a coyote & 30 min later a 7-pt buck, it was the makings for a great day, but since then as of the first of the year I have put out a few traps & snares & the count is up to 7. I did a lot of reading in Fur Fish & Game Mag. Picked up a few pointers along with some on-line info. I didn't realize there were so many Yotes in my area here in Blackwater Va. How about your area? Jim.

Boolit Master
    Good job , try to get them all if you can .
    A picture would help identify them .

Boolit Master

I use roadkill counts as a population indicator. Never saw a dead coyote until 10 years ago or so, now you will see one on any road trip over an hour or two. Rarely see a dead deer on the roads in these parts. You see many more out east towards Raleigh.

Boolit Master

Coyotes are about everywhere these days. Trap them if you can. Too many coyotes and soon no fox, less game birds and fewer deer.

Versa that is some impressive trapping for just figuring it out on your own.

Boolit Master
    Here in Missouri we are having the same problem with the coyotes taking out all the rabbits, especially the turkey and deer. We are seeing more coyotes running out in the open fields in the middle of the day. Of course when I don't have a rifle with me. And every time the trains blow their whistle we hear Coyotes howling around us. Its getting to be a huge problem that we should shoot them first even when we are in a tree stand waiting for deer. So, can any of you give me some pointers for trapping them?

Boolit Master
    same here in south west Ga,we hear them howling every night yoti scat in the drive way everyday and sometimes foot prints on the back porch.we notice them less now that we have grass but they run the deer out of a bedding area in our side yard almost every night

Moderator Emeritus

Wolves keep the population manageable. South of me for 30 miles has averaged a deer killed a day for autos since the mid 90's. Our coyotes are rare to go much over 40 lbs and will kill fawns but not much larger. Keep doing your part to keep them down.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Rifle next to front door for the ********.
    Don Verna

Coyotes showed up in force in Ohio about 20 years ago. I haven't seen a pheasant or grouse in 15 years. The rabbits all went nocturnal. I could have shoot a yote during deer gun season but the farmer likes them because they kill ground hogs.

BB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Coyotes showed up in force in Ohio about 20 years ago. I haven't seen a pheasant or grouse in 15 years. The rabbits all went nocturnal. I could have shoot a yote during deer gun season but the farmer likes them because they kill ground hogs.

BB
    I bet you could kill ground hogs better than a coyote or trap them as well.

Boolit Master
    On my farm, we shoot them on sight, with what ever I have handy! I much prefer the ground hogs, young ones ain’t bad eating! I have shot them first when deer hunting, as I said On Sight!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    In response to the pictures, my wife has a new digital camera & has taken several photographs, I just have never taken the time to learn how to post them. Jim

Boolit Master
    Oh yea! forgot to mention that they make pretty good test media for checking bullet expansion. A shot through the shoulders , one couple through mid section, then rear qtrs. I know it's not a deer but it does increase my knowledge a bit. Jim

Boolit Master
    I have noticed the same decline in my area. I have killed nothing but predators in the last year. I did no know this many could live in one area. Mountain yots are not like flatland yots. You can not call them out and they do not come out into the open. I am happy to claim four yots down this season and five foxes. Many other smaller predators have fallen over the snowy season as well but I will keep my traps shut on that.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    DonMountain sorry for the delayed response! I have been watching a guy on youtube working snares & I have found they work best for me. He calls himself meattrapper. A few of these videos & you should be good to go. One word of caution, It's Addicting Big Time! Jim

Here in SW PA I have heard credible reports of coyotes within the city limits of Butler, where I live. People on the outskirts of town hear or see them regularly. It is one of the few critters that has a lengthy and liberal season in this commonwealth; even Sunday hunting!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Well things cooled off quite a bit after I took out those 7, & then my grand kids heard another bunch recently 2 nights in a row in two completely different places. I have pretty much given up on leg traps because they catch everything in the woods. With snares at the right location & setup I can pretty much target just yotes. This is the trick to keep me in the woods after hunting season. Yotes are open year round here in Va. Jim

Boolit Master
    Yoti???...Is that what they call them now in the city?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post

BB
    Coyotes showed up a lot longer than 20 years ago in SW Ohio. I called my first in well over 20 years ago. It was about 40 years ago a trapper pulled into our place to show my brother the coyote he had trapped the night before. They've been on the slink in the midwest for many years. Sly dogs. Used to love to call them in. Snares were very effective but not nearly as fun as bringing them in running.

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Here in SW PA I have heard credible reports of coyotes within the city limits of Butler, where I live.
    I saw a few in North Dallas before we retired.
    Two in our front yard, and we were about a mile from any sort of wooded area.

That was about the time all the stray cats & dogs disappeared.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast