WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My Mutt

Banned

My Mutt

I made mention of this gun in another post under Gunsmithing. I bought it in 1988, traded it for something I just had to have a year later. I found it at a gunshow 5 years later and bought it back. It's main appeal at the time was the caliber, 357/44 B&D.
    As I was on staff at one of the big gunsmithing supply houses it was used to try out some new products and other ideas. The result is a fine shooter that looks like a mutt today. The last 19 years it has been in its box, unfired.
    The barrel is a replacement in stainless steel. Then I tried out a new product that was supposed to blacken stainless. It didn't work as advertised and had such a noxious odor that it nearly did me in. Another new product idea was a spray on finish that didn't work well either. I need to work on getting it refinished.
    In addition I decided to see if I could fit a Bisley hammer and trigger. With small hands they feel better though I don't care for the Bisley grip.
    Turns out the parts were a drop in only requiring lengthening the notch for the hammer and trigger slot. Easy done with a mill file.
    There's a Powerspring kit, the sear is stoned in a Power trigger jig for a 2 pound break and 0 creep. An over travel screw really helps pulling the muzzle down as the trigger breaks. I also fitted an oversize base pin.

The scope and base were on the gun when I got it. This gun became my personal standard and I have three more setup just like it, and looking for another one. Each in a different caliber. .357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 41 Whitetail. I need a 41 Magnum and .22 rimfire to complete the set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8817.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	258685

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8818.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	258686

Very nice, but I'm like you, I've never warmed up to the Bisley Grip. I've got all the Blackhawks you mention, with the exception of the .41 Whitetail and the 357/44 B&D. I also have the .32 H&R Single Six, Super Single Six, .30 Carbine Blackhawk, aka: the ear buster, the .45 Colt/.45 acp, the .44 Special and one Blackhawk converted to .357/9mm/9x23 Winchester. And none of mine are set up with scopes, since those darned things seem to quiver all over when I'm trying to aim them.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I had mine built by Bain & Davis in the 90's. It started life as 357/9mm 4 5/8 IN Convertible. They reamed the 9mm cylinder out to 357/44 Bain & Davis and custom made the 12 IN barrel.

Boolit Master
    Is the .357 B&D the one that uses the urethane collars around the case neck? Maybe that's another one. How is it for set-back against the breech face and tying up cylinder rotation? I had read somewhere that some revolvers would bind up readily and others had little trouble. Curious about that. It's a non-issue in auto pistols, but revolvers are much gentler on the ammo. Anyway, this binding thing has kept me from investing in revolvers with bottle-neck chamberings.

BTW, what's a 41 Whitetail? This is another I'd not heard of.

Banned
    Boatswainsmate, that is one nice looking setup. Thanks for posting a pic.

The B&D is really good at case setback and locking the cylinder making it difficult to get the full performance it is capable of. It works best in single shots like a Contender or the former H&R rifles.

41 Whitetail is something I found in a "filler" article in a gun mag many years ago and just had to have one. It's a 45 Colt necked to 41. It looks sort of like a big 44-40 only with a lot more OOMPH. Because the neck down is smaller than the B&D there is little issue with case set back. I have no idea what the full potential is. I have equaled Dan Wesson 414 Super Mag velocities with no pressure signs.