Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions about casting 9mm and .223?

Boolit Master

When I started loading lead boolits in the 9mm it had me pulling out my hair.

1. Many 9mm pistols have oversized bores. Some as large as 0.358
    2. The short tapered case is VERY sensitive to seating depth. A slight change can cause huge pressure spikes.
    3. The short tapered case limits seating depth and can swage down some boolits.
    4. A Lee carbide FCD isn't the answer to ANYTHING in 9mm.
    5. The vast majority of 9mm chambers aren't cut to SAAMI spec. They have no leade or throat. This can cause huge problems with seating depth, more so with properly sized boolits. They can also cut through any coating you use on the boolits due to a 90° angle on the rifling.

To get around these problems.

1. Slug your bore.
    2. Send your barrel to DougGuy to have it "fixed".
    3. Throw the Lee Carbide FCD in the trash.
    4. Load as long as your chamber will allow.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Steve - getting cast boolits to perform in 9mm can be frustrating but I'd just say jump in and give it a go. I'm in the process of trying to get the Lyman #356402 120gr TC to shoot well in my Glock 23 with a 9mm Lone Wolf barrel. I also have a PSA AR9 and would like to load cast boolits for it also...maybe we can compare notes as we go along. There's lots of info on this forum and you can learn alot from it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

2. The short tapered case is VERY sensitive to seating depth. A slight change can cause huge pressure spikes.
    5. The vast majority of 9mm chambers aren't cut to SAAMI spec. They have no leade or throat. This can cause huge problems with seating depth, more so with properly sized boolits. They can also cut through any coating you use on the boolits due to a 90° angle on the rifling.

1. Slug your bore.
    Excepting the remarks about the Lee FCD, I agree with you completely.

Boolit Master
    The .223 answer for me is factory second fmj bullets. I get 55gr for $.05, don’t remember what 62gr cost. Send me a PM if you can’t find a source online, I don’t have the info at hand.

Boolit Buddy

1. Slug your bore.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

I am planning on slugging everything that I want to cast for.

You all have convinced me that casting .223 is not going to fly. So.... I guess, in order to save money on ammo, I will need a rifle that I can cast for. I am thinking .300 Blackout "Honey, I bought it to save us money".....

With the suggestions so far, I am going to buy some factory ammo to get me rolling with my 9mm and .223. I am going to buy some commercially produced cast bullets and work through the process of loading 9mm cast before casting my own.

Seriously, I see the .300 Blackout as being cheaper to shoot than .223 as long as I can keep my lead costs under control. Currently I can get lead fishing weights for $0.25 a pound and Lyman #2 (or equivalent) for $2.00-$2.50 a pound.

Any additional advice regarding 9mm would be welcome.

It sounds like I have an education coming learning to cast and load 9mm. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

F

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    The .223 answer for me is factory second fmj bullets. I get 55gr for $.05, don’t remember what 62gr cost. Send me a PM if you can’t find a source online, I don’t have the info at hand.
    I have found 55gr pulls for $0.067 so far. I would prefer 62gr bullets. If you have a good source for 62gr for under $0.06 I would be thrilled.

Thanks Everyone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions.

I am planning on slugging everything that I want to cast for.

You all have convinced me that casting .223 is not going to fly. So.... I guess, in order to save money on ammo, I will need a rifle that I can cast for. I am thinking .300 Blackout "Honey, I bought it to save us money".....

With the suggestions so far, I am going to buy some factory ammo to get me rolling with my 9mm and .223. I am going to buy some commercially produced cast bullets and work through the process of loading 9mm cast before casting my own.

Seriously, I see the .300 Blackout as being cheaper to shoot than .223 as long as I can keep my lead costs under control. Currently I can get lead fishing weights for $0.25 a pound and Lyman #2 (or equivalent) for $2.00-$2.50 a pound.

Any additional advice regarding 9mm would be welcome.

It sounds like I have an education coming learning to cast and load 9mm. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

F
    I just built a 300 Blackout pistol. It's a real hoot to shoot. Pretty inexpensive entertainment.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    How much lead can you get at $.25? I’d buy it all... When I first started casting I bought 50 lbs lots, now I don’t get interested unless it’s 100 lbs or more. Preferably 200 lbs or more.

300 Blackout is much more versatile and cast friendly than .223.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    How much lead can you get at $.25? I’d buy it all... When I first started casting I bought 50 lbs lots, now I don’t get interested unless it’s 100 lbs or more. Preferably 200 lbs or more.

300 Blackout is much more versatile and cast friendly than .223.
    I am going to take everything I can get at .25 a lb.

I wish that I had been more familiar with .300 Blackout when I bought my first AR. Or my second one......

Boolit Master

If I could get lead for $0.25 a lb I'd be stacking it deep.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    If I could get lead for $0.25 a lb I'd be stacking it deep.
    I can only carry around 3000# in my truck so, unless I want to make multiple trips I will be limited

Boolit Bub
    I am about 3 years into my 9mm casting quest. I shoot beretta 92s. Mine all slug at .359
    I have a hard time getting a boolit that big into a 9mm case without sizing it down. I am giving up........I will be getting an aftermarket barrel to put in my competition gun so I can use regular equipment.
    I started off this way.........many hours of reading and trying things........I have gave up for months at a time. I am going to give it another go......I am down to my last 1000 j words. I am confident if I get a barrel that slugs at .355 or .356......I can make that work all day. I guess we will see. It’s easy to make some 9mm that look good......but when they hit the paper sideways........not good. When they lead your barrel......not good.

Boolit Bub
    I see my join date was sept 2017, I lurked here for a couple years first. So it’s been longer. I sell tires, I can get all the free lead I want. It’s in my best interests to make this work.

Boolit Master
    Since you are in the business...why won't the local tire shops let me buy wheel weights from them?

Is it some sort of contract thing? Govt regs?

Boolit Master
    I had the same trouble in 41 mag. Leaded up due to copper fouling. I had to clean that barrel 4 times to get All the copper and powder residue out. Nowdays, I may load a magazine with factory hollowpoints but, I don't shoot them (only in an emergency). I cast and shoot 9mm in three different pistols. It isn't the lead, it's the jacketed. My lead is just wheelweight. Works for me very well.

Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Mold
    You fit right in with my problems. Bad back causes the 45 to become an aggravation to carry. I promised myself I would never reload 9mm or 223 because they are just too small and too much aggravation. But with age and back problems I tried the 9mm. Really amazed as it pretty much is a 38 with regard to casting and reloading. Not too many problems. The 223, however.... The good news is that I decided to try the Lee 55gr. 6 cavity mold and if you follow the instructions it does a wonderful job. First try it started casting good bullets on the third fill and quickly ran through a little over 300 good quality rounds. Of course I still have to put a gas check on them while sizing, but think I will be able to manage that. Priming was a real pain. Again, it is doable and I got through it. Guess the most amazing part was the cast boolits…. currently working up a load. I'll let you know if I find something that shoots well. Please post if you find something as well.
    This Old age is not what it was cracked up to be years ago. However the experience sometimes really does come in handy.
    I only load practice rounds for the 9mm. As a carry weapon it goes against the grain as I was always told to never get into a gunfight without a caliber that did not start with a 4. Old Marine and never though I would consider carrying a 9mm but guess it is better than nothing. (Darn back)
    You can get much further with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

Boolit Master
    Well one thing about it 9mm and 223 are about the cheapest factory ammo to buy.
    My free lead supply is about gone and I will use what I have left and or buy , for guns that I prefer my bullets in.
    Or that factory loads are pricey for ( about every thing but 9mm and 223 )

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jwlegal View Post
    .... The good news is that I decided to try the Lee 55gr. 6 cavity mold and if you follow the instructions it does a wonderful job. First try it started casting good bullets on the third fill and quickly ran through a little over 300 good quality rounds. Of course I still have to put a gas check on them while sizing, but think I will be able to manage that. Priming was a real pain. Again, it is doable and I got through it. Guess the most amazing part was the cast boolits…. currently working up a load. I'll let you know if I find something that shoots well.
    Yes, I would be interested in how your loads work.

I did not have much success in accuracy with cast .223 in my AR15.
    Shooting "normal" FPS ( around 2700 fps) was a disaster for me. The bullets hit all over the place.
    The best accuracy that I got was when I lowered the charge below 2000 fps. Below that the action would not cycle.

Good luck to you and please post your good or bad results.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jwlegal View Post
    You fit right in with my problems. Bad back causes the 45 to become an aggravation to carry. I promised myself I would never reload 9mm or 223 because they are just too small and too much aggravation. But with age and back problems I tried the 9mm. Really amazed as it pretty much is a 38 with regard to casting and reloading. Not too many problems. The 223, however.... The good news is that I decided to try the Lee 55gr. 6 cavity mold and if you follow the instructions it does a wonderful job. First try it started casting good bullets on the third fill and quickly ran through a little over 300 good quality rounds. Of course I still have to put a gas check on them while sizing, but think I will be able to manage that. Priming was a real pain. Again, it is doable and I got through it. Guess the most amazing part was the cast boolits…. currently working up a load. I'll let you know if I find something that shoots well. Please post if you find something as well.
    This Old age is not what it was cracked up to be years ago. However the experience sometimes really does come in handy.
    I only load practice rounds for the 9mm. As a carry weapon it goes against the grain as I was always told to never get into a gunfight without a caliber that did not start with a 4. Old Marine and never though I would consider carrying a 9mm but guess it is better than nothing. (Darn back)
    We are on the same page

I was the guy at the range with my 1911's telling everyone that the 9 Mickey Mouse was so inferior to .45 that I would never carry one.

My plan is also to load practice ammo and carry factory ammo.

I am going to hold off on .223 until I master 9mm.

My first instruction on safe gun hanging, shooting, gun maintenance and reloading came from a Marine Corps small arms instructor and member of the USMC Shooting Team. Unfortunately, he had quit casting bullets before I came along so I missed part of my education. Now, 45 years later, I found you all to give me some guidance.

Thank you Everyone for all of your suggestions.

Boolit Master
    The 9mm has come a LONG way in terms of terminal ballistics. That's why many law enforcement agencies are going to it instead of the .40 or .45. Do not consider yourself under gunned at all with a 9mm when using good defense ammo.

Here are some pretty inclusive tests of different ammo in different pistols.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...c-tests/#45ACP

Unless I am shooting a LOT of 9mm it just does not make sense financially to cast for it. I figured it would take more 1000 rounds to pay for a Lee mold (2 cavity). Yes, I have to buy my lead, usually from Rotometal. So, I continue to buy bullets, usually plated or whatever is on sale.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast