RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
ADvertise hereInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Evangelism?

  1. #21
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    4,219
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Ev- angel... Greek for good angel.
    Apologia... Greek... a ready answer why I believe.
    First I evangelize, then I apologize.
    Should take about 30 seconds.
    I am the only Bible most people ever see.
    The Book tells me to tell the world. I believe Him.
    I promise not to persuade, or sell,
    no features and benefits,
    only to tell you why I am still alive.
    If you ask. Book says you have to ask.
    People make this so complicated, it isn't.
    Keith boolit, H110, hits the 100 yard gong.
    Not difficult, but a steep learning curve.
    Helps to have someone explain it.
    Castboolit evangelism.
    Thanks for the forum.
    You don't post much but you nailed this "gong" really well.

    Thanks,
    Don Verna

    NRA Endowment Member

  2. #22
    Boolit Master

    Hogtamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East central GA, Appling near Augusta
    Posts
    2,676
    There is something known as the Great Commission recorded in Matthew 28: 18-20. Might be call Jesus' famous last words before his ascension. ...."Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
    As disciples of Christ we have our marching orders. How we carry them out is left to us and the Holy Spirit.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

  3. #23
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Denial
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    First, the reason Jesus came to save us is because mankind is fatally flawed, all of us. Only flawed people can have real empathy for other flawed people and that's the point of using flawed people for evangelism. (Well, that and there are no others to send!) Don't reject the perfect message because of your perceived weaknesses of the messengers!

    Second, we wouldn't bother anyone IF Christianity was a human philosophy but it isn't, so we're honor bound to warn everyone we can of the lethal spiritual danger ahead. We sure don't have a requirement to make you listen but we do have a duty to warn you; if we don't even try, God says your blood will be on our hands. But, if we do warn you and you reject the message, your blood will be on your own hands and you will have no excuse before going to hell by your own choice. (John 3:17-18)

    As Jimmy Duranti often said, "Them's the conditions that prevail!"
    I reject the message because it isn't perfect, and I reject the messengers because they can't comprehend that. How can a fatally-flawed creature be made by a perfect creator? If your god is all knowing, all seeing, and all powerful, then there is ZERO point to this preliminary existence you claim is a necessary trial for the perfect second realm of heaven; the divine fingers could be snapped, and the perfect post-rapture realm could simply BE, already filled with the grovelling suck-ups the insecure god needed to make to stroke his own ego (can't think of any other reason why he'd bother).

    Nope, we've got a Darwinian world of suffering and struggle. If there is a god that created that, it is NOT a god of the goods you're selling, and that god is probably more than a bit of a feminine hygiene product that I - by his very design - do not have any time for - so take those pamphlets and get off my lawn!

    Them's the conditions that prevail.
    WWJMBD?

    "I'M MELLLLLLLLLLTING!" - Elphaba

  4. #24
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel, ha, ha,...

    exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  5. #25
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,533
    Evangelism was indeed derived from the Great Commission, but more than that, it derives from the necessity of getting all to know the lord. Some, like Slug, are so deeply steeped in nihlistic cynicism that they are incapable of receiving the light. They just don't want it. God gave them the free will to accept or reject it, of course, but He ALSO outlined the consequences of rejection, and they aren't pretty. Everyone has to believe as they will, and perhaps the hardest part is accepting the things we cannot truly understand. But really, that's not nearly the hurdle we often imagine it to be. We know and have seen His power many times. Is it such a great leap to have faith in the rest of what He's told us? I'm just a dumb country boy, but when someone proves themselves time and time again, even if other more cyincal types criticize them, I'll stay faithful with the proven ones, and let the declaimers go their own way. It just makes sense to this pretty rational ol' country boy. YMMV of course, but mine won't.

  6. #26
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Green Valley
    Posts
    50
    Bigslug, you're angry.
    I get Jehovahs Witnesses littering my lawn,
    fewer have come since I witnessed my faith to them.
    I invite them in, we all need water in this desert.
    I invite them to my church, they won't come.

    Blackwater, thank you for that, I'll kill this thread with 2 Cor 5:20 ESV

    Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

    "Might become"
    help me Lord amen.

    God wrote us this love letter, this owners manual for our souls. Read it.
    America was founded on it.

  7. #27
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Bigslug, you're angry.
    I get Jehovahs Witnesses littering my lawn,
    fewer have come since I witnessed my faith to them.
    I invite them in, we all need water in this desert.
    I invite them to my church, they won't come.

    Blackwater, thank you for that, I'll kill this thread with 2 Cor 5:20 ESV

    Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

    "Might become"
    help me Lord amen.

    God wrote us this love letter, this owners manual for our souls. Read it.
    America was founded on it.
    You might kill the thread but then again, you might save someone's life too.

    exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  8. #28
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    2,220
    God loves Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons (and non-believers) too, so Christians have an obligation to show His love to them. Showing love does NOT mean we have to pretend their errors may be worth hearing; showing a Godly love means we should give them straight responses without denigrating them as evil people. I firmly believe most of us do that.

  9. #29
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Denial
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Bigslug, you're angry.
    And why not? And add frustrated while we're at it. Remember we're answering the OP here.

    It's one thing to be the salesman for a brand new car that might contain some defects, or to conceal or talk down the flaws of a used one.

    In the case of evangelism. . .Number one, I haven't even stepped onto the lot, or stopped to look at the "for sale" sign in the window, so basically an evangelist is a commercial for a product I have no need for (on the order of maxi pads to a male audience), that's interrupting my TV show. Number two, any objective viewer will see that the car in question is a rusted out Model T, that's been crashed into by a semi, and is also on fire. This thing is obviously flawed to the point that it's dangerous to even PUSH, let alone get in and drive, yet the salesman is telling me to "Look at this brand new Ferrari!"

    So yeah, it's a grim frustration to me that so many in the world can't tell a burning Model T from a new Ferrari. Maybe they've been staring at "The Light" from the fire for so long that it's fried their retinas. All I can do is point out the facts and let them continue wasting their time how they want to. But people who feel it's their DUTY to get me to climb into that flaming wreck with them for a road trip that's supposed to last to the end of my days? Stand by to be resisted with teeth and fingernails. We'll BOTH be happier if we never meet.
    WWJMBD?

    "I'M MELLLLLLLLLLTING!" - Elphaba

  10. #30
    Boolit Master
    dtknowles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Posts
    3,236
    and enough characters to post this post.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

    The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

    The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

  11. #31
    Boolit Master
    dtknowles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Posts
    3,236
    Evangelists, worse than a robo call. We should have a do not knock list like the do not call list.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

    The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

    The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

  12. #32
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    ... Stand by to be resisted with teeth and fingernails. We'll BOTH be happier if we never meet.
    You have something of a rage problem. You speak loudly but, sadly, I doubt that many Christians ever speak to you about anything.

  13. #33
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Denial
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    You have something of a rage problem. You speak loudly but, sadly, I doubt that many Christians ever speak to you about anything.
    Fair enough. I was social-distancing WAY before it was cool. Evangelist Christians are but one higher justifying tier of of my general human-avoidance strategy. I've long been thinking about having a T-shirt made up that says "I don't know you. I'd probably like to keep it that way."
    WWJMBD?

    "I'M MELLLLLLLLLLTING!" - Elphaba

  14. #34
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Fair enough. I was social-distancing WAY before it was cool.
    Sooo - it isn't Christians, as such, that bother you but people in general?

    I've long been thinking about having a T-shirt made up that says "I don't know you. I'd probably like to keep it that way."
    Cool shirt idea.

    People vary. Some folk are pricks, some folk are intellectual lumps; both are meaningless to me but I can still be civil even to them. But some are the nicest and most interesting folk I know, they are well worth knowing. Of course other folk have similar experiences and values as me so I hope to fall into everyone's third category ... and, if I'm successful or not, living that way keeps ME happy too!

    It took a long time for me to learn there is more than one reason we're told to love our "enemies"; I've noticed that it often drives them nuts! It also releases pointless strifes in my own heart ... and does me no harm at all. Perhaps you might try it.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Should every Christian be an evangelist?
    Answer: No.

    You will receive your calling from God if you have your spiritual hearing aid in your ears.
    If you don't hear Gods voice, you're either not connected with God on a one on one basis or you only think you know Him.
    Well Said

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    And why not? And add frustrated while we're at it. Remember we're answering the OP here.

    It's one thing to be the salesman for a brand new car that might contain some defects, or to conceal or talk down the flaws of a used one.

    In the case of evangelism. . .Number one, I haven't even stepped onto the lot, or stopped to look at the "for sale" sign in the window, so basically an evangelist is a commercial for a product I have no need for (on the order of maxi pads to a male audience), that's interrupting my TV show. Number two, any objective viewer will see that the car in question is a rusted out Model T, that's been crashed into by a semi, and is also on fire. This thing is obviously flawed to the point that it's dangerous to even PUSH, let alone get in and drive, yet the salesman is telling me to "Look at this brand new Ferrari!"

    So yeah, it's a grim frustration to me that so many in the world can't tell a burning Model T from a new Ferrari. Maybe they've been staring at "The Light" from the fire for so long that it's fried their retinas. All I can do is point out the facts and let them continue wasting their time how they want to. But people who feel it's their DUTY to get me to climb into that flaming wreck with them for a road trip that's supposed to last to the end of my days? Stand by to be resisted with teeth and fingernails. We'll BOTH be happier if we never meet.
    So you are calling the bible a dangerous burning model T and lumping it in with some evagelist annoying you at your door? I think you are projecting. Christians actually have the lowest crime rate and the lowest crime rate neighborhoods, societies countries etc. The further you go back the more our nations were Christian and the crimes of today were nonexistent. Liberals & Atheists (same thing) are the Dangerous burning trash fire of crime disease, torture & mental illness today. Many older folks who are God haters don't consider themselves "Liberal" but they are, they agree more with liberals on fundamental issues & pull a lot of the same evil, criminal, demented or lude & immoral actions which actually victimize people All while pretending to be victimized. the only difference is one might look more clean cut. I'm really Glad My generation Destroyed The atheist & Feminist cultural Marxist movement.

  17. #37
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I reject the message because it isn't perfect, and I reject the messengers because they can't comprehend that. How can a fatally-flawed creature be made by a perfect creator? If your god is all knowing, all seeing, and all powerful, then there is ZERO point to this preliminary existence you claim is a necessary trial for the perfect second realm of heaven; the divine fingers could be snapped, and the perfect post-rapture realm could simply BE, already filled with the grovelling suck-ups the insecure god needed to make to stroke his own ego (can't think of any other reason why he'd bother).

    Nope, we've got a Darwinian world of suffering and struggle. If there is a god that created that, it is NOT a god of the goods you're selling, and that god is probably more than a bit of a feminine hygiene product that I - by his very design - do not have any time for - so take those pamphlets and get off my lawn!

    Them's the conditions that prevail.
    Slug, your thinking is very narrow and constrained. God made man to have a will of his own. It seems very logical that a true God would not want mere mechanical expressions of worship and praise, but the genuine thing that can emanate ONLY from those who have made the CHOICE to follow and worship Him. But somehow, I don't think you're really after a real understanding of God, but only what you think is "a little fun" trying to promote doubt and antagonism toward Christianity and Christians. That's YOUR choice. You will answer for it one day, just as the rest of us will be judged by our behavior. I hate to see an intelligent person take such a route, but ... as was given to you by God himself, you have that free will, and can decide those things only for your own self.

    But have you ever wondered why all the naysayings have been unable to counter, or even to mitigate the growth of faith? It's because atheism and so-called "agnosticism" are weak and illogical if you consider ALL the evidence involved. But you have to decide whether to take an honest look at these evidences, and you certainly appear to be very antagonistic against doing that, or of ever really doing that. I am sorry to see you choose as you have. It could be so different, and your life and attitude and outlook could be so very, very different, and you could be so very much happier and more satisfied. But ultimately, the choice will always be yours, and yours alone. I pray you will see the light before your life's end.

  18. #38
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,533
    Evangelists are great WHEN THEY KNOW AND UNDERSTAND AND CAN INTERPRET THE BIBLE, AND EXPLAIN ITS MEANINGS, AND INTERRELATE ALL ITS PROVISIONS INTO A UNIFIED WHOLE, SO THAT ANYONE CAN UNDERSTAND IT. But those are few and far between. A common situation encountered is when someone comes to light and is emotionally moved by it, they may, without really knowing or even having really studied the Bible, go out and basically babble and quote some scriptures (often erroneously) and turn the undecided off by their behavior.

    We need a good evangelist who can explain the Bible and its teachings so anyone can understand the principles and factors involved, and bring real edification to us, more generally. Billy Graham is perhaps the best evangelist we've ever had in the USA. He was "on fire" for the Lord, but it was a very controlled and calculated delivery of pertinent and essential info that made his sermons so penetrating to so very many people's lives and hearts. I would like to think we'd see his like again, but .... I'm not holding my breath until that happens. He was "the real deal," and in spades!

  19. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    85
    most of the best known evangelists of the last 40 years have how do you say, simply been doing it for the collection plate tally, and to hide what they were doing.

  20. #40
    Boolit Master


    Ickisrulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shawnee, OK
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Evangelists are great WHEN THEY KNOW AND UNDERSTAND AND CAN INTERPRET THE BIBLE, AND EXPLAIN ITS MEANINGS, AND INTERRELATE ALL ITS PROVISIONS INTO A UNIFIED WHOLE, SO THAT ANYONE CAN UNDERSTAND IT. But those are few and far between. A common situation encountered is when someone comes to light and is emotionally moved by it, they may, without really knowing or even having really studied the Bible, go out and basically babble and quote some scriptures (often erroneously) and turn the undecided off by their behavior.

    We need a good evangelist who can explain the Bible and its teachings so anyone can understand the principles and factors involved, and bring real edification to us, more generally. Billy Graham is perhaps the best evangelist we've ever had in the USA. He was "on fire" for the Lord, but it was a very controlled and calculated delivery of pertinent and essential info that made his sermons so penetrating to so very many people's lives and hearts. I would like to think we'd see his like again, but .... I'm not holding my breath until that happens. He was "the real deal," and in spades!
    You described a Teacher, not an Evangelist. An evangelist delivers the simple Gospel message and then new Christians are taught the details by a Pastor/Teacher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check