MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationADvertise hereWidenersRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Evangelism?

  1. #1
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050

    Evangelism?

    Should every Christian be an evangelist? Does God ask every Christian to be an evangelist? Does God require every Christian to be an evangelist?

    If God is in complete control of all things, is evangelism even necessary?

    How do verses like Ephesians 1:4-5 effect evangelistic efforts? Or do they effect them at all? Should they effect them in any way whatsoever?

    Is it necessary to use words to be an evangelist? Is evangelism primarily a verbal exercise?

    Or is evangelism just a way to annoy your family, friends, neighbours, co-workers, etc.,...?

    What do you think?

    exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  2. #2
    Boolit Master


    Ickisrulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shawnee, OK
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Should every Christian be an evangelist? Does God ask every Christian to be an evangelist? Does God require every Christian to be an evangelist?

    If God is in complete control of all things, is evangelism even necessary?

    How do verses like Ephesians 1:4-5 effect evangelistic efforts? Or do they effect them at all? Should they effect them in any way whatsoever?

    Is it necessary to use words to be an evangelist? Is evangelism primarily a verbal exercise?

    Or is evangelism just a way to annoy your family, friends, neighbours, co-workers, etc.,...?

    What do you think?

    exile
    There are four (or five) leadership offices given to Church: apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (this last pair could be one or two different offices). These offices were given to "perfect saints, work the ministry and edify the body." So no, strictly speaking, not everyone in the Church is an Evangelist.

    Are all Christians meant to share the Gospel in one way or another? Yes they are. Just one example: "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15.

    Much of evangelism is done by providing an example by the way we live. Again we can turn to Peter for an example of this instruction: "Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives" 1 Peter 3:1.

    Ephesians 1:4-5 does not talk about predestination the way Calvinists understand it (i.e., God chooses who will be saved and who will be lost). It is talking about how God chose the mechanism of our salvation, our relationship to him and our blameless standing because of Jesus Christ before the world was even created. The spread of the Gospel is very necessary so that "whosoever will" can be saved.

    While God has the ability to "control everything," he does not control everything. When it comes to man, God expects man to do his part. We ask God to provide "our daily bread" realizing he will not provide it if we just sit around and refuse to do the work to get it. God and man are in a cooperative relationship in everything and this includes the spread of the Gospel. God does the spiritual things in the Church while man does the legwork.
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 03-09-2020 at 03:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master

    Hickory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Great Black Swamp of Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    4,392
    Should every Christian be an evangelist?
    Answer: No.

    You will receive your calling from God if you have your spiritual hearing aid in your ears.
    If you don't hear Gods voice, you're either not connected with God on a one on one basis or you only think you know Him.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

    I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    Thank you for your answers. I had not considered (lately) the idea of evangelist being a church leadership position.

    exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  5. #5
    Boolit Grand Master

    Wayne Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Posts
    11,597
    Consider that Christ said "You will be witnesses of me". There are no exceptions to this. We need to consider what kind of witnesses we are being - Anslem stated "Testify to Christ, if necessary use words". These are allied concepts, if my witness does not support my words the words are useless.

    These are the responsibility of every Christian, not just the Church leaders. So no, not everyone has the office of Evangelist, but we are all called to be involved in the body and to testify to Christ in all of our ways. For example, would you be ashamed to have a Christian bumper sticker because of the way you drive? Consider your testimony.
    Wayne the Shrink

    There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    "In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him." 1 John 4:9 (E.S.V.)
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  7. #7
    Boolit Master


    Ickisrulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shawnee, OK
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    For example, would you be ashamed to have a Christian bumper sticker because of the way you drive? Consider your testimony.
    I don't think it is a good idea for a Christian to have bumper stickers, T-shirts or any other identifiers when out in public where we only offer a snap shot of our character. The reason for this is that none of us are perfect and we (or our family members) have bad days or do things that are just irritating to other people (e.g., drive too slow, drive too fast, get in peoples' way in the aisles, have our kids talk back, etc.). Why take a chance to offend? Has anyone ever been brought to Christ though a bumper sticker?

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    2,223
    I'm not a "liberal" so don't put stickers on my bumpers. Don't really believe they have any positive influences on anything.

    I KNOW the various "Occupy", Resist", Antifa", Greeney Weinies, "red hat bats", etc. love free speech as long as the rest of us shut up and don't disturb them. Mentally unbalanced people who go into a literal screaming rage when the see a MAGA hat also tend to mess with stickered vehicles they don't like.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    dtknowles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I'm not a "liberal" so don't put stickers on my bumpers. Don't really believe they have any positive influences on anything.

    I KNOW the various "Occupy", Resist", Antifa", Greeney Weinies, "red hat bats", etc. love free speech as long as the rest of us shut up and don't disturb them. Mentally unbalanced people who go into a literal screaming rage when the see a MAGA hat also tend to mess with stickered vehicles they don't like.
    Most of the bumper stickers around here are Trump or Pro-Life. What does "liberal" have to do with bumper stickers.

    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

    The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

    The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

  10. #10
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Green Valley
    Posts
    50
    Ev- angel... Greek for good angel.
    Apologia... Greek... a ready answer why I believe.
    First I evangelize, then I apologize.
    Should take about 30 seconds.
    I am the only Bible most people ever see.
    The Book tells me to tell the world. I believe Him.
    I promise not to persuade, or sell,
    no features and benefits,
    only to tell you why I am still alive.
    If you ask. Book says you have to ask.
    People make this so complicated, it isn't.
    Keith boolit, H110, hits the 100 yard gong.
    Not difficult, but a steep learning curve.
    Helps to have someone explain it.
    Castboolit evangelism.
    Thanks for the forum.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12-13 (E.S.V.)
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    I am the only Bible most people ever see. The Book tells me to tell the world. I believe Him.
    I promise not to persuade, or sell, no features and benefits, only to tell you why I am still alive. If you ask. Book says you have to ask.
    People make this so complicated, it isn't.Keith boolit, H110, hits the 100 yard gong. Not difficult, but a steep learning curve.
    Helps to have someone explain it.
    Well and truly said.

    If I may add:

    Angel - Greek for a messenger

    Gospel - Greek for good news

    Making an evangelist a good messenger of the good news of Jesus, meaning his blood bought and paid for salvation for all people who will accept Him as Lord.
    Last edited by 1hole; 03-14-2020 at 02:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    "For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world-our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one that believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" 1 John 5:4-5 (E.S.V.)
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  14. #14
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Denial
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Or is evangelism just a way to annoy your family, friends, neighbours, co-workers, etc.,...?
    DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

    Hear the atheist out: you've got your life blueprint based on your religion, and it's working for you. You're happy/successful/satisfied with your lot, and that's fine.

    Now there's a chance that someone might look upon your happy existence, compare it to their own, and say "Bob's got something that's working for them. Maybe I should check that out", and that is also fine. That kind of quiet, organic success is how such things should spread.

    Then enter the evangelist who has no consideration for how happy/successful/satisfied someone else may be with their chosen life blueprint - it's not THEIR blueprint, so it must be wrong - knocking on my door proclaiming they have the answer regardless of whether or not I've even felt there's a question that needs asking. That's the kind of busy-body invasiveness that tars your whole camp with a very gooey brush, and it hurts your brand considerably.

    If the Perfect Being wants my attention, he's gotta start sending less flawed emissaries.
    WWJMBD?

    "I'M MELLLLLLLLLLTING!" - Elphaba

  15. #15
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    .... If the Perfect Being wants my attention, he's gotta start sending less flawed emissaries.
    First, the reason Jesus came to save us is because mankind is fatally flawed, all of us. Only flawed people can have real empathy for other flawed people and that's the point of using flawed people for evangelism. (Well, that and there are no others to send!) Don't reject the perfect message because of your perceived weaknesses of the messengers!

    Second, we wouldn't bother anyone IF Christianity was a human philosophy but it isn't, so we're honor bound to warn everyone we can of the lethal spiritual danger ahead. We sure don't have a requirement to make you listen but we do have a duty to warn you; if we don't even try, God says your blood will be on our hands. But, if we do warn you and you reject the message, your blood will be on your own hands and you will have no excuse before going to hell by your own choice. (John 3:17-18)

    As Jimmy Duranti often said, "Them's the conditions that prevail!"

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    dtknowles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Posts
    3,237
    Move yourself
    You always live your life
    Never thinking of the future
    Prove yourself
    You are the move you make
    Take your chances win or loser
    See yourself
    You are the steps you take
    You and you and that's the only way
    Shake, shake yourself
    You're every move you make
    So the story goes
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

    The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

    The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,050
    God did send a perfect emissary, He sent His Son to die on the cross for my sins, and for yours.

    And whoever said I'm happy, successful or satisfied? The Lord Jesus was well acquainted with sorrows as are those who call upon his name.

    Finally, you may not be able to relate to my faith, but I can certainly relate to your atheism, after all, I was an atheist for much of my life.

    exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

    "The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

  18. #18
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Green Valley
    Posts
    50
    Nagging is poor evangelism. As you say, Bigslug, annoying.
    Selling features and benefits isn't evangelism at all.
    Pride is a sin- God forbid that I should boast.
    You have to ask before I can answer.
    When you got married, had a baby, didn't you have to tell everybody?
    When I was baptized, I had to tell everybody. Sharing the joy.
    Should everyone get married, have children, be baptized?
    Probably not. Works for me. YMMV

  19. #19
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    There are four (or five) leadership offices given to Church: apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (this last pair could be one or two different offices). These offices were given to "perfect saints, work the ministry and edify the body." So no, strictly speaking, not everyone in the Church is an Evangelist.

    Are all Christians meant to share the Gospel in one way or another? Yes they are. Just one example: "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15.

    Much of evangelism is done by providing an example by the way we live. Again we can turn to Peter for an example of this instruction: "Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives" 1 Peter 3:1.

    Ephesians 1:4-5 does not talk about predestination the way Calvinists understand it (i.e., God chooses who will be saved and who will be lost). It is talking about how God chose the mechanism of our salvation, our relationship to him and our blameless standing because of Jesus Christ before the world was even created. The spread of the Gospel is very necessary so that "whosoever will" can be saved.

    While God has the ability to "control everything," he does not control everything. When it comes to man, God expects man to do his part. We ask God to provide "our daily bread" realizing he will not provide it if we just sit around and refuse to do the work to get it. God and man are in a cooperative relationship in everything and this includes the spread of the Gospel. God does the spiritual things in the Church while man does the legwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Thank you for your answers. I had not considered (lately) the idea of evangelist being a church leadership position.

    exile

    +1 Thank you all for the discussion. Particularly Ickisrulz, thank you for a very well put and thoughtful response.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,460
    Please be aware that many do not care what your faith tells you to do and you are not welcome.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    First, the reason Jesus came to save us is because mankind is fatally flawed, all of us. Only flawed people can have real empathy for other flawed people and that's the point of using flawed people for evangelism. (Well, that and there are no others to send!) Don't reject the perfect message because of your perceived weaknesses of the messengers!

    Second, we wouldn't bother anyone IF Christianity was a human philosophy but it isn't, so we're honor bound to warn everyone we can of the lethal spiritual danger ahead. We sure don't have a requirement to make you listen but we do have a duty to warn you; if we don't even try, God says your blood will be on our hands. But, if we do warn you and you reject the message, your blood will be on your own hands and you will have no excuse before going to hell by your own choice. (John 3:17-18)

    As Jimmy Duranti often said, "Them's the conditions that prevail!"
    EDG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check