Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationPBcastcoRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Need GCs for a new LBT .40 mould

Boolit Bub

Need GCs for a new LBT .40 mould

Received my LBT mould from Veral Smith last week. It’s a double cavity 180 grain .40 cal WFN Mould. One cavity is PB and the other is GC. The gator GCs are .368 and the shank is .378. Any help or ideas. I heard that I may be able to have a GC maker made by someone here on the forum. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!

Boolit Buddy
    I had this same concern with a Noe mold I ordered last week. The Noe mold shank is .384 and when I looked at the Gator Checks web site there numbers didn't make sense. I added a note to my order for Noe to include the right checks if the .40 cal checks weren't right. They sent a bag of checks marked .40-.41 caliber which work just fine. I called Noe about another issue and when I asked about the checks he made it sound like there really wasn't .40 and .41 cal check but instead just the .40 - .41 checks that covered the needs in both calibers. I would think that any reputable mold maker is making there shank size to fit existing gas checks so I would assume that the .40 checks will work, my questioning the check size was because I purchased a .403 198 WFN Y1 mold as my 10mm slugged out at about .4015.
    Last edited by Muddydogs; 03-10-2020 at 02:53 PM.

If you are shooting 40SW, no need for GC for proper alloy. Hot loads for 41 or 10mm might need them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    If you are shooting 40SW, no need for GC for proper alloy. Hot loads for 41 or 10mm might need them.
    Chances are a gas check bullet will shoot better with a gas check then without. He could try shooting a few GC bullets without a check and see how they shoot and if they causes any leading. Then again the OP didn't say whether he was casting for a .40 or 10mm, could be he's doing like I'm doing and casting GC bullets for heavy 10 mm loads and using the PB bullets as plinking ammo.

The .378 shank on your LBT is for the Gator G410P2 (41BSS) check.
    The one for the .368" shank is the new Gator 40BSS check for NOE's unique shank, created because there wasn't already enough confusion in the 40/41 GC arena.

It's sad that we can't ever discuss GCs without being lectured about how we don't really need them, but for those of us who can withstand the constant shaming, they are a handy and effective solution to some very real and common problems.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks I should have mentioned it was a 10mm, I was thinking in GC sizes. I did talk to the folks at gator and they’re sending me a sample of the .41. I’m shooting a 1911 10mm ( slugs at .401) but I’m gonna buy a .357 marlin 94 and have it converted to 10mm as well by grizzly so I have a “companion”, or an ar in 10mm too... I want to push them hard, reason to have a GC. Appreciate all the input, as always

ar in 10mm too _ I found a load for 180gr in my 10" BO pistol AR15 that gives 10mm performance, lots of fun.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance

Lightbulb

This is the current .40/.41 Gator gas check sizes made right now based of pin gauge measurements:

#1 .41 Lyman - the shank size is .397.
    #2 .416 Rifle - the shank size is .392.
    #3 .41 BSS - the shank size is .381.
    #4 .40 BSS is a gas check especially made for .368 shank 40 caliber NOE bullet mold.

The bullet shank diameters can vary by one or two thousandths.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Some of us believe in , like and use gas checks . I had NOE make a 9mm Luger mould with a gas check , NOE 358-124-TC GC , works great in hot 9mm Luger and 357 Magnum loads ...
    Don't fear the check ... it can solve problems .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"