Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Goodbye, Ribeye!

Goodbye, Ribeye!

The last time I was in Sam's Club, they had some gorgeous, well-marbled boneless chuck roasts. If you want a 3-inch thick steak that will stand up to a choice ribeye for half the price, try one of these. I coat them with garlic powder and fresh-ground black pepper, then work them over with a Jaccard meat tenderizer or one of the clones that are out now. Stick them back in the fridge for a few hours, then let them come to room temp. Throw them on a super hot charcoal grill until they are black and crisp on the outside, then rest them about 30-45 minutes in a 190 degree oven. You will be amazed.

Boolit Master

Now, that sounds like GOOD EATIN' !!

Boolit Buddy
    I found a chuck roast was better eating than the high price cuts, but it has to be around 3 inch as you said.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Well marbled chuck is top of the line on my roast list and it's a good steak for less .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

If you look at a full chuck roll you will see the rib cavity on one end. That end will give you some of the best steaks on the planet, other end the steak will be shoe leather unless kept very rare. On a roast that rib cavity will be a indented curve along the edge. Or just buy the whole chuck roll, cut steaks, roasts, stew meat, chili meat and fill the freezer! What I used to do before buying 1/4 of beef.

I like chuck roasts. Mine come out exactly like a cheap brisket which is my favorite cut

Boolit Master
    Anyone try sous vide at 128F or so for a few hours then toss it on a hot grill?
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    If you look at a full chuck roll you will see the rib cavity on one end. That end will give you some of the best steaks on the planet, other end the steak will be shoe leather unless kept very rare. On a roast that rib cavity will be a indented curve along the edge. Or just buy the whole chuck roll, cut steaks, roasts, stew meat, chili meat and fill the freezer! What I used to do before buying 1/4 of beef.
    The local butcher calls that the Chuckeye.
    He'll cut Chuckeye steaks on request and while the price is cheaper than Ribeye, he still charges about double the price per lb for Chuck roast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I really want to try a Chuck eye now. Pork, venison, and lamb shoulders are some of my favorite cuts. They just seem to have more flavor than the traditional back steaks.

Boolit Master
    Snowwolfe, not sous vide but I smoked some I sliced from a big roast to 125( about an hour at 180)then seared about 30 seconds on a HOT grill. Yumm!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus

If you buy a chuck roll(ask the butcher for one) you can get some really big chuck roasts! Lower left grate is 4 chuck roasts, weighed in just under 40 pounds. And oyu can trim fat to your liking. For smoking I don't trim at all, let it render down through the meat

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vqk5U7Q.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds good.
    How heavy was the roast????
    I want to try a small one.

Moderator Emeritus

Me? Those were approx 10 pound roasts cut 3" thick to stand up to smoking... smoked chuck taken to 195 to 205 internal shreds like puled pork. Some of the best sandwich meat on the planet!

Banned

Been a long time since ive had a beef steak of any kind. My steak is shot in the field gutted and the back straps peeled out and thrown on the grill. Been that way for about 10 years. Once you learn how to do it you loose the craving for beef steak. But then to me the only cut off a deer that will stand up to grilling is the back straps and you have to be fortunate enough to have access to enough of them. Some day I will have to go back to beef steak. But that's still a few years down the line.