Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Casting bullets in a subdivision

Banned
    left leaning neighbors.
    To bad you cant burn a pound or two of marijuana in a fire pit to cover the smelting smell.... snowflakes love that sheeit

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    It's your place I'd do what I wanted. That said when you move (and you will) never ever, ever buy in an HOA community.
    This!

Banned
    My wife and I live in a 450 sq ft apartment in a 82 unit building (5 floors) I powder coat in the apt but not cast or smelt. I rent a storage unit that has a 110v outlet. I cast there and also fire up the small propane torch to smelt a bit there also.
    One comment, Our world is so much like the communists now with all the policing by neighbors ...It is just disgusting.

Boolit Master

Avoid tentative play. Your neighbors should be of no concern. Do your hobby where are you wish, but outside or extremely well ventilated. Not in the basement. Not in the house. You have every right and your nosy neighbors are just plain wrong. Neighbors like those you do not want to appease. Give them an inch they will take a mile. Stand your ground. You are doing nothing that is illegal. You have no reason to sneak around with your guns.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Avoid tentative play. Your neighbors should be of no concern. Do your hobby where are you wish, but outside or extremely well ventilated. Not in the basement. Not in the house. You have every right and your nosy neighbors are just plain wrong. Neighbors like those you do not want to appease. Give them an inch they will take a mile. Stand your ground. You are doing nothing that is illegal. You have no reason to sneak around with your guns.
    I’ll second this. The neighborhood gossip stopped by one day to chat about a break-in that happened a couple of blocks over. I informed her in no uncertain terms that if anyone was stupid enough to do that at my house when my wife or I were home, they would be in for a really bad day. She now gives me a wide berth which is just the way I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Wow, I didn't know how good I had it. I live in a subdivision and I am surrounded by hunters, fishermen ane other various rednecks that are envious of boolit casting and reloading skills. I hate the fact that you are hounded by nosy asholes that are so want to make you into a criminal. You are NOT, but the authorities might decide to side with them and cause you problems.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

As I understand it the covenants don’t mean much, as I have bee party to breaking them in multiple subdivisions, multiple times in each. I’m a roofer and they were not getting the aproved roofs and none had to be removed or had to be replaced one owner was taken to court and it lasted five min and the judge threw it out. I would not worry if you get a complaint just inform them you will be done shortly and won’t be doing this often odds are they won’t bother you. But also don’t volunteer information about what and why your are doing it if it becomes a problem I’m sure there is a member in your local club that would be willing to do it at his place

Boolit Buddy
    I can’t imagine a HOA covenant that says you can’t cast bullets; mine has nothing even close to that. And, I have neighbors that are gun loathing liberals, so I know how that can be. We all have our own lives to live ... and, a fella has to know his limits. I chose to live mine respectfully but never with my tail between my legs. Go cast your bullets and be a good neighbor while doing it. You might be surprised.

Boolit Grand Master

The township trustees and or zoning board in a area with out HOA can and will enforce if there is a complaint. While it may not be enforced it will result in court and that time off work. Its a big hassle to deal with

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The township trustees and or zoning board in a area with out HOA can and will enforce if there is a complaint. While it may not be enforced it will result in court and that time off work. Its a big hassle to deal with
    Like a friend of mine said, the only lawyer proof swimming pool is a parking lot. Feel free to be intimidated by it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I concur

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Wow, I didn't know how good I had it. I live in a subdivision and I am surrounded by hunters, fishermen ane other various rednecks that are envious of boolit casting and reloading skills. I hate the fact that you are hounded by nosy asholes that are so want to make you into a criminal. You are NOT, but the authorities might decide to side with them and cause you problems.
    This is what my neighborhood is like. I smelt and cast, and the only one that notices is the retired prison guard across the street. He sees me in the garage, and comes over to talk about hunting. Nice bunch of people in my neighborhood.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Go ahead and smelt. If anybody complains, you can take that opportunity to mention the number of people who think they have free access to trespass all over your private property.

I think he wants to avoid them even knowing that he’s a “gun nut” more than just having to explain why he’s melting lead. He thinks he’s fooled them this long so why start down that path. I get it, not everyone is comfortable with people knowing what hobbies they have. Some people are just private. So move indoors, don’t smelt anything and keep your dirty little secret.

Boolit Master

Lol I get not wanting to explain ones self. I have a number of hobbies that I cant hide. I have had to explain to the cops four times now that I am not growing marijuana in my aquaponics. Darn tomatoes get me in trouble every time. I like talking to people though so it doesnt bother me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I make lead soup. If any one ever asks.

However if you are really dead set on casting.

Your neighbors can go pound sand.

I do not live in fear of my neighbors.
    I honestly don't give two figs what they think.

If they call the cops or fire department on you. Ask the responders if they are going to talk to or complaints. And if they do it repeatedly ask for a case number and state you want to file a harrassment claim on them.

As for kids cutting thru your yard.

A white picket fence. Or becoming the local grumpy old man you dont want to cross is always a choice.

But first and foremost DO NOT PISS OFF THE SPOUSE. She lives there as well.

You may just have to buy your ingots.

Ps you can also just smelt the ww in a lee drip-o-matic plug in pot. Add it slowly and you'll fill up a 20 pound pot faster then you think.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mrcvs, as I read this, I am reminded of the MANY times that I have seen on the big 3 news programs, a clip where they stated that someone was arrested for whatever reason and a "trove" of guns and ammunition were "found in the residence" and police "seized" them. Just how many guns are a trove and how many does it take to be illegal? How much ammo on hand is illegal to the point that police "seize" it? They would do a back flip if they saw some primers and powder. The fact that the news media runs these stories makes the lawful possession of these items illegal in a lot of ill informed people's minds. My point is, what ever you do, don't let this escalate to the point that they call the police. You could have your rights trampled by an unknowing LEO.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    When people got too curious with me I told them I was making a tiny nuclear devise. Then went into a bunch of double talk about scientific sounding stuff...just enough to make them think I MIGHT have been for real. Their eyes got big and they never asked me any more questions. hahahahah.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't see where you addressed any of my suggestions. I see no reason why you could not cast in your garage. Open the door, set a box fan up near you and cast away. If you are worried about your cars then either move them out while you are casting or cover them up. A moving blanket, a tarp, ect.

Smelting is going to make more smoke and will be more noticeable. If you can't do it in your back yard look for alternative locations. It would be extra work to move all of your stuff but you may have to. Maybe you could use your hunting club, rifle range, a friends house, ect. I like the suggestion of the mini-storage building that another poster mentioned. A little expensive yeah, but you could leave your smelting stuff there.

Boolit Master

How about an abandoned property in Philly?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast