WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning venison with an instant pot?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Canning venison with an instant pot?

I believe it was recommend to me here a while back. Will an instant pot get hot enough to can venison properly?

Moderator Emeritus

Pressure cooker is the only way per the Ball canning manual, also in "Putting food by". It isn't a function of temperature only as I understand it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The insta Pot is under pressure. I too would be interested to know "If it will can".

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    watching,my wife loves her ninja foodie and id like to can some

Boolit Master

the wife says NO, it wont keep the pressure and temp constant enough to be safe for storage.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Most of the older canners were heavier in construction than today's. The old canners had gauges on them with dials to read precise pressures.(if you did it right) Most newer ones come with weights for what is believed to be the correct pressure. Canning food which could be dangerous should only be done with a pressure cooker with a dial guage on it. (Just MHO) Here's a website that may help.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/u...s_canners.html
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

My momma says no, but I put up about 10 pints to try it anyway. Ate a jar the other day that was over 1 year old and still sealed tight. Tasted fine and I am still here. However I dont think there is any standard for temp or pressure on the insta type pots, so your mileage may vary.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    The short answer is no. it is not meant for canning. As a matter of fact it explicitly states to not use for canning in the instructions.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I read the instant pot max gets up to 15 psi and meant for canning

Boolit Master
    IIRC canning venison in pint jars requires 11psi for 75 minutes. I always just do 15psi to increase my margin of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Most of the older canners were heavier in construction than today's. The old canners had gauges on them with dials to read precise pressures.(if you did it right) Most newer ones come with weights for what is believed to be the correct pressure. Canning food which could be dangerous should only be done with a pressure cooker with a dial guage on it. (Just MHO) Here's a website that may help.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/u...s_canners.html
    I think that’s the other way around. A weighted canner won’t change but the pressure gauge on a dial canner needs to be checked to make sure it’s still calibrated. FWIW I replaced the petcock on my older All-American with a juggler and the dial gauge reads exactly what the juggler says when it starts venting.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Well I have one and the instructions says not to use for canning. If you want to use it use it your choice
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    my wife looked up the ninja foodie,the pressure is plenty high at 26.3 on high pressure and you can set the time but it don't get hot enough for low acid canning

Boolit Master

The Instant Pot is not meant for canning. It is not safe to can with an Instant Pot.

Moderator Emeritus

I've had old timer's tell me their grandma canned meat in the oven.

I'll stick with the tool (pressure canner) that's made for the job
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

And those old timers had a lot of people die of "natural causes" aka botulism...

Banned

don't know about an instapot but my power pressure cooker came with instructions on how to can meat with it. I don't use it though. I like the old one that I can actually see the pressure on the gauge.

I was at the Salvation Army yesterday and saw used pot that I’m guessing was close to a 23 quart pressure cooker pot for 39 bucks. It did not have a gauge on it but had the racks and the top weight. I thought that was pretty expensive for a used pot. I’m gonna see if the neighbor has one I can borrow to try out. Most of the stuff I can is out of my garden and gets eaten within a month or two anyways so I really hate to spend $150 on a pot and figure eventually I’ll run into one at a thrift store for a decent price. They had one that had to been less than a 4 1/2 quart there for 5.99 and of course it’s going to be too small. It look like it would fit the really small jelly jars in. It almost look like the same one I could buy new at Walmart online for 30 bucks or less. I also ran into another one for the same price but it Was missing the weight on top so it was worthless. I guessing issuing an old school pressure cooker without an actual gauge to read it is a no no as well?

Boolit Master
    We have both the kind with the weighted jiggler, and the one with the gauge. Cardinal rule is get to 10#or slightly higher, 60 minutes for pints, 90 for quarts. Turn off and let cool till pressure dies off. When you take it out, will still be boiling in jar, and will do so for another 30 minutes or so. Around here you can buy used pressure canners for $20 or so, see them on a regular basis, will can 10 pints or 7 quarts at a time. Some times if we are canning a lot of meat, we will use both the big canners, and cycle thru each one twice. We can most of ours in pints, because that will make a meal for me and the wife.

You can buy a new gauge at the hardware store for about $20. I have 2 spares sitting on the shelf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast