WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 358311 question

Lyman 358311 question

All my manuals list the Lyman 358311 (either 158 gr or 160gr) for use in .357 magnum. I have some other 158 gr cast bullets (not Lyman 358311) that I want to load up some stout loads with. I’d like to know either the seating depth or bullet height of the 358311 so I can compare the ones I have to the 358311 C.O.L. in the manuals.

A lot of people say “just seat them at the crimp groove”, but I’m afraid that might possibly cause an overpressure if my bullets have a difference in seating depth, especially if my cases are on the low end of acceptable.

Boolit Master
    If memory serves me correctly I had to seat over the first band with my 358311 at 1.590

Boolit Master

Abandon the maximum load as your starting load.
    Be safe, and start low and work up. Stop when you get an accurate load or before you reach the maximum listed load.
    You can't go wrong if you do it this way.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Thanks guys. I’d still like to know the Lyman bullet dimensions for reference. I’m uncomfortable with max loads even when I do a work up. The bullets I have and IMR4227 and H110 do well, but I’ve never pushed them beyond a mid range load. I’ve been told that .357 magnum can actually be pushed well beyond max without showing significant pressure signs.

My bullets are a blunt nose design, and measuring cartridge overall length is pretty much useless as most manuals give either a round nose or semi-wadcutter C.O.L. Knowing the seating depth would allow me to ensure I don’t seat them deeper than the reference loads.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358311.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	258266

My Lyman 358311 mold drops a boolit with OAL .734 at 159 gr. with 3-2-95 alloy. I have always loaded my 358311 to the crimp grove in both 38 Spl and .357 brass. My COAL in .357 brass is 1.663" which works just fine in my Ruger Security Six and Blackhawk. The 1.663" OAL is too long for my brothers GP 100 and my Marlin 1895. While I've experimented with different loads I pretty much stick to Skeeter Skelton's mid-range .357 Mag load for 158 gr. boolits of Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr. at @ 1000 fps with excellent accuracy. Very good advice given above.....START LOW AND WORK UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358311.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	258266

My Lyman 358311 mold drops a boolit with OAL .734 at 159 gr. with 3-2-95 alloy. I have always loaded my 358311 to the crimp grove in both 38 Spl and .357 brass. My COAL in .357 brass is 1.663" which works just fine in my Ruger Security Six and Blackhawk. The 1.663" OAL is too long for my brothers GP 100 and my Marlin 1895. While I've experimented with different loads I pretty much stick to Skeeter Skelton's mid-range .357 Mag load for 158 gr. boolits of Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr. at @ 1000 fps with excellent accuracy. Very good advice given above.....START LOW AND WORK UP!
    Thanks Ed. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Mr_Flintstone, If your cases are "at the low end of acceptable," by which I think you mean OAL, you may want to try a taper crimp die and maybe anneal them before you eventually throw them in your recycling bin. I do this with my .357mags. with -311 and other designs and with several different CB designs in my .44mag. and have seen no change in accuracy as a consequence. Just some food for thought....

Thanks Maven. I have two boxes of Winchester once fired (I know because I fired them myself) factory ammo cases that varied in length from 1.270' to 1.280' in length after resizing. They seem to be very good cases other than length. I trimmed them all to the lower end (1.270") so they would be uniform when I loaded. I probably will taper crimp them. I ordered one from Midway, but I haven't used it yet. This may be the first time.