RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: FYI Over Crimping coated Boolits

Banned

FYI Over Crimping coated Boolits

Over Crimping coated Boolits

This is what happens when you OVER CRIMP coated boolits.

LEE FACTORY DRIMP DIE

These were loaded (in empty cases), seated and crimped with progressively less crimp.

I got down to where all the scraping was gone but had these "grooves" in the coating

After a discussion on another forum, I found out the "grooves were caused by the inside of the Impact Bullet Puller.

I stuffed the nose of the boolit puller with a paper towel and the "groves" went away

Last edited by Conditor22; 03-08-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Interesting...I took a piece of foam and put it in the bottom of my impact puller.

What kind of crimp did you use...roll crimp, FCD...etc?

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    That looks like a H&G #68BB or clone, but It doesn't look like they were sized?

Boolit Buddy
    Another reason I like the Lee 200 RNFP for use in the ACP, a crimp groove. As for as dies, no factory crimp die here, I use an RCBS seater die with the roll crimp feature. And yes I seat and crimp in one operation...GASP, been working fine forever. Keep it simple.

I like that color, kinda like German Chocolate.

Boolit Master

Only think is a 45 seater die will/should always have a TAPER CRIMP not a roll as the cartritage head spaces off the case mouth.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

How did the boolits with the broken PC shoot? Did they lead?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Only think is a 45 seater die will/should always have a TAPER CRIMP not a roll as the cartritage head spaces off the case mouth.

CW
    CW is absolutely correct. if you are crimping the 45 acp cartridge then you no longer headspacing off the mouth of the case as the 45 acp was intended, you are headspacing off your extractor. This bullet would be fine for a long Colt, but it certainly wouldn't be my choice for an autoloader. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Boolit Master
    The crimping process performed on the 45 ACP cartridge, a cartridge that is designed to be head spaced off the cases mouth. Some small thickness on the side of the case at mouth is required to be left standing above the side of the bullet in order to create a step that will butt against a ledge in the chamber of the firearms barrel, this stops the foreword sliding motion of the cartridge when it is hit by the firing pin. This requires a taper crimp die.

It my understanding that a micrometer measurement taken across the case mouth is required to determine whether too little or too much has been applied.

I would like to think SAAMI chamber specifications are tight enough so that any company’s taper crimp die would allow proper head space control.

I doubt the thickness of a heavy powder paint coating is taken into account within the dies design.
    That something the reloader will need to compensate for with the degree crimp applied.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 03-14-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Banned
    boolits were all sized .452, used a seating die -w- no crip and a lee factory crimp die for the 45 acp not roll crimp. [unless I got a 45 colt factory crimp instead?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I doubt the thickness of a heavy powder paint coating is taken into account within the dies design.
    That something the reloader will need to compensate for with the degree crimp applied.
    Powder coated bullets are sized, so the added thickness is accounted for, although some still persist in oversizing and shooting bullets several thousands over barrel groove diameter as was a common practice when lube was used.

Boolit Buddy
    CW, if for some reason I were wanting to taper crimp, I would do it in 2 separate steps as seating and taper crimping in one step will lead to nothing but shaved lead if you are actually crimping the case into the bullet a couple of thousands. If you are only removing the bell from the case a person may get by seating and crimping in one step.

DH, I set the crimp to .467-.468 so it is for sure headspacing as designed, on the case mouth. The .002-.003 crimp cannot affect headspace.

Even seating and roll crimping in one operation as I explained above, using a bullet with or without a crimp groove works just fine as very little of the bullet alloy is disturbed as only the case mouth is turned in as the seating function is almost complete.

Using a taper crimp die after seating a bullet reduces the diameter of the bullet over a longer distance of the driving band to get the desired crimp diameter. The bullet will be swaged down the length of the taper.

As I see it, there is no benefit to the taper crimp except to the folks making and selling dies and those looking to add a step to the process.

To each his own.

My apologies to the OP for derailing the thread.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 03-15-2020 at 03:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    stick a foam earplug in the bottom of your bullet puller.