RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varget powder?

Varget powder?

Why is it super available... And then GONE for a while? I stocked up last time I saw it, but I'm running a bit low...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    There are cartridges that are shot in competition that do their best with Varget. Single digit SD and extreme spread. When it's available folks buy all they can find and hoard. I got a bottle that says NEW on the label. You get one chance to be a winner or a chicken dinner (contributor). No whining allowed. Like scrounging for lead.

I have three lbs rat holed while I use up a lot of different older powders. Some MUCH older. Varget is a great powder.

Boolit Master

Varget comes from Australia.

All the powders coming from Australia are in short supply right now.

This from another website.

By late 2018 and 2019 demand was picking up again, especially for big case magnum powders. Unfortunately during this same period Hodgdon began experiencing supply problems from Australia. These problems are logistical and not related to production. Australia and steamship lines have new regulations concerning how much powder can be shipped on one vessel, how much powder can be in a container terminal at one time, and the hazard classification of the powder itself. Shipments were delayed and a few were even returned to the producer during 2019 due to these issues

Government is the problem.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    our 4 local places are almost always out of varget,have to catch them on truck day or order from midsouth,they always have it

Boolit Master
    Varget and H1000 are always feast or famine.

Have any of you use IMR 4064 in its place, I do and happy with it. There was a old post on this the use of Varget and use IMR 4064 in it place .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    It produces very accurate loads. It is also not temperature sensitive which is a real advantage in my area (I can be shooting in -20 to 95 degree temperatures). I was down to one jug during the last shortage but have rectified that.

For blasting ammunition in the AR's I am going to convert to AR-Comp as it seems easier to get. Bought a jug but have not tired it yet. Will save the Varget for the .308 and bolt action .223's
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

At the the Grand Forks gun show on Saturday A older gentleman was selling off what looked like left overs from the Obama frenzy. Primers were $25 a brick and He had about 40 pounders of powder at $20. The Varget didn't last long!

Boolit Master
    There is the joker here in Virginia that has 1 pound jugs of Varget listed on a local website for selling firearms. The Post Reads something like this “1 pound of Varget $50 if you don’t like it don’t buy it don’t call me and try and bargain it down! I don’t care what powder Valley or anybody else sells it for!” Nice guy I hope he chokes on it
    Last edited by poppy42; 03-08-2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Have any of you use IMR 4064 in its place, I do and happy with it. There was a old post on this the use of Varget and use IMR 4064 in it place .
    I keep a pound of 4064 on hand and it works good,i just like varget better when you can get it and its not temp sensitive

Boolit Buddy
    There have been a few Varget shortages.. Lots of reasons.. Try Shooters World "precision" variety. Nearly identical in performance to Varget. Powder Valley runs specials. $169.00 per 8 lb keg. Try it. uncle mike

Boolit Buddy
    Shooters World Precision , yes.

For what I use it for 223 heavy weights and 308 I find Reloader 15 works just as well
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    I keep a pound of 4064 on hand and it works good,i just like varget better when you can get it and its not temp sensitive
    Ok I did not know it was temp sensitive. It always works for when I do use when ever I do . but maybe not like someone else dose . It is good to know. Thank you

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    For what I use it for 223 heavy weights and 308 I find Reloader 15 works just as well
    I'll second that. I found a good load with 22-250 and 6.5 creedmore also with RL15.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Ok I did not know it was temp sensitive. It always works for when I do use when ever I do . but maybe not like someone else dose . It is good to know. Thank you
    All powders are temperature sensitive. It's just that some are more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    All powders are temperature sensitive. It's just that some are more than others.
    Ok thank you for clear this up better for me to understand .

Boolit Bub
    I used a lot of Varget when I was shooting NRA high power. It comes and goes. Best thing to do is buy several 8 lb. jugs when it becomes available. I used accurate 2230 in my 223 rifles too and it disappeared back in the day. Switched to Hodgdon Benchmark which was always around. IMR 4064 always seems to be available. Long little logs of powder that usually need to be weighed for accurate charges though. I like it. I stick with the old powders and haven’t experimented with all of the new flavors out there. Same for pistol powders.

Boolit Master
    Consider H4895, though it's a Hodgdon Extreme powder, like Varget , and may also be in short supply at the moment. I use Varget but have found H4895, overall, to be more useful and provide somewhat better accuracy in some instances when compared with Varget. You may give up a little velocity, but H4895 is worth trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast