Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varget powder?

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    Consider H4895, though it's a Hodgdon Extreme powder, like Varget , and may also be in short supply at the moment. I use Varget but have found H4895, overall, to be more useful and provide somewhat better accuracy in some instances when compared with Varget. You may give up a little velocity, but H4895 is worth trying.
    I've got some H4895... I was going to try it in the 1895, but never got around to it. Maybe that's the next adventure.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    There are several of the Hogdon 'Extreme' powders that work well for many applications, at least for me. IMR4198, IMR4895, and H4895, although Varget is my go to powder for jacketed bullets in my .223 and .308 (I tend to shoot heavier bullets in both).

When using cast bullets in the .308 I would easily pick H4895 or IMR4895. IMR4198 has also been good but in a narrower velocity range, at least for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    Consider H4895, though it's a Hodgdon Extreme powder, like Varget , and may also be in short supply at the moment. I use Varget but have found H4895, overall, to be more useful and provide somewhat better accuracy in some instances when compared with Varget. You may give up a little velocity, but H4895 is worth trying.
    H4895 can also be downloaded by up to 40% of a maximum load. Great if you have a youngster or a beginner that wants to shoot a rifle that would normally be painful to shoot or make them shy away from shooting. Info here:

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...ifle-loads.pdf

I still use Varget, but I've found loads just as accurate using H4895 or Reloader 15.

Boolit Master

I think I've heard the words "temp sensitive" more times in the past 3 years than in my previous 40 years of reloading. Varget is an excellent powder. Many loads produce low ES and yes it is fairly temp insensitive. I have plenty of Varget on hand but life goes on just fine without it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I think I've heard the words "temp sensitive" more times in the past 3 years than in my previous 40 years of reloading. Varget is an excellent powder. Many loads produce low ES and yes it is fairly temp insensitive. I have plenty of Varget on hand but life goes on just fine without it.
    It's a real thing.

Some powders are reverse temperature sensitive. WST is a great example. The hotter the temperature the slower it is.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Temp sensitive is only important in a few areas

1. You load to max velocity/pressure. If temps go up too much you will be over max.

2. You need precise velocity session to session. Such as some precision shooting where you need to be able to hit targets at long range without sighters.

3. Different temps means different velocity which means different vibrations in the barrel. Some cases it will be enough to make groups larger. Probably only important if you are after those less than 1/2MOA groups.

If you load to moderate pressures and can take some sighter shots then temperature variation is not an issue. Probably not even for hunting since sub-MOA performance is probably not necessary.

Boolit Mold
    If you can get it, IMR 8208xbr is another great choice for .308 or heavy .223. It also meters EXTREMELY well through powder drops.

Boolit Master
    For jacketed, I prefer AA 2520, for cast it's Reloader 15, in 308 Winchester.

Winelover

Ditto for trying ReL 15. It is Varget's 1st cousin and my LGS usually has it in stock. If you find a load that works as well, send the joker who wants $50 a lb for Varget a message thanking him for letting you find an alternative powder.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I second RL15 as a backup for Varget. Produces some really accurate loads, but, is more sensitive to temperature. My .308 loves it.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    All the bench rest shooters on my range swear by it...I never have tried it
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12