WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: problems with lyman .429 hp

Boolit Man

problems with lyman .429 hp

I have been casting for 25 years and have always been able to eventually get a mold to drop good boolits
    but I have never cast a lyman hollow point mold. Mine have always been LEE or RCBS. I am using clip on ww at 775 degrees and preheated the mold and cannot get good fill at the base or near the point. most have a lot of wrinkles also. help me with the process .

Boolit Master

Dip the Pin into the mold before inserting it in the Pin cavity.
    That's what works for me. I count to 10 before opening the mold after filling.
    Cast fast using only the HP mold.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned you must keep the HP stem hot. I use this to keep the HP stem hot during casting, especially if casting in a cool/cold location.

Attachment 257675

Also, I cast at 715 - 725 degrees (by thermometer), cast at a quick tempo and inspect the bullets later or while the sprue is hardening.....usually later. The idea is to keep the mould hot with a quick tempo and not let it cool much between castings.

Also with COWWs for use in HPs, especially larger ones of 250 + gr I add 2% tin to the COWW then mix it 50/50 or 30/70 with pure lead. Otherwise straight COWW is too brittle and usually too hard to expand much or reliably at hand gun velocity. Also, whether with a bottom pour or dipper, the alloy must be gotten into the cavity as quick as possible with a really good sprue poured.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I always heat my pin up on my devastator mold. I cracked the wood handle on a couple of them because I got it to hot. If I’m casting next to my Coleman stove I’ll run it across the flame for a few seconds. I’ll also pour a few test boolits and won’t remove the boolit or pin for a while to help heat up the mold and pin. I also keep my lee 4-20 really hot. Around 8 with a full load of alloy. I also let it sit in the pot till it oxides on the top and I have to skim off the crust. She’s hot enough and then some for HPs. I make sure to rest my mold on top of my pot for a good 20 minutes or more so it heats up as well. I spray mold release in my pin as well or color it up with a pencil to help release.

I’ve learned that really hot alloy is the key for me when casting HPs.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-29-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Banned
    My 429421BW
    always ran nicely for me.
    I coat the pon with a #2 pencil then set the end of the mold (with pin inside) on a hotplate until it reaches 400°

When I have mold problems, the first thing I do is scrub the mold out again with dawn and a denture brush.
    then preheat the mold to 720°, pressure cast the first couple boolits then cast regularly.

IF I don't get good fill out I throw another 1/2 to 1 oz of tin in the pot.

Boolit Man
    thanks for all the advice. I will clean the mold again and run it hotter next week then holler back.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Really hot is the key imo.

Boolit Man
    tried again after I scrubbed the mold with dawn and let it dry, then put about 4% tin into my clip-on w.w. mix and got the temp to 800 , and got the mold hot with a hand held propane torch and started casting. they filled out better but the nose part around the hollow point still didn't fill properly and I had to cull all the bollits . I tried pressure casting and they did better but still voids near the nose . will try again and let yall know soon.

Boolit Grand Master

See Post #3 ....You have to heat the hollow pointer and keep it hot , as shown in photo .
    Follow the tips Larry gives about alloy...he knows what he's talking about .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"