MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee reloading dies got a little fancier...

Banner Sponsor

I had one 375 Win Lee sizer die that was rough as all get out on the inside. I mailed it to Lee with a short note and they sent me a new one in just a few days.
    I've been useing a Lee Classic Cast press for swageing bullets and found out that the press handle was hollow when it bent. It just happened to be the same size as a Dillon 550 handle, so I found one on Ebay to replace it.
    Back in the 80s, the Lee hand prime tool was made of pot metal and the head would break off occasionally. It was a great tool except for that. They were only $15, so you would just buy a new one...

I find them not as pleasant to operate.
    They eat my fingers, and are harder to get into and out of my turret press due to not being able to use a wrench to tighten and loosen. (Got big hands and fingers, i just dont have much movement before they get pinched between dies.)
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    i like these lock rings from Lee....

Attachment 258283

i been thinking about ordering these guys, such purty colors... positive lock and position... just not sure they will work with my my classic turret press system... there is prolly an adapter or something needed... they just came out in the new lee catalog for 2020..

marko
    Your press needs to have the Breechlock system for those. If you take the black steel adapter out and it has interrupted threads, you are good. I suppose you can still use them without the breechlock system by threading them in.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I just got a new Lee trim die and noticed the new design of the lock ring as well. I use a number of Lee die sets and they work well - mainly in pistol calibers and once I have them mounted on a 4 hole turret plate for my Lee 4 hole turret press - they stay in place. For dies I use in my single stage press though - and this includes the Lees - I prefer to change the lock rings out for the Hornady split lock rings that tighten up with a set screw. Once the die is adjusted correctly it is just a matter of putting it in the press each time and the setting is the same - the Lee O-ring lock rings don't allow for that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I just got a new Lee trim die and noticed the new design of the lock ring as well. I use a number of Lee die sets and they work well - mainly in pistol calibers and once I have them mounted on a 4 hole turret plate for my Lee 4 hole turret press - they stay in place. For dies I use in my single stage press though - and this includes the Lees - I prefer to change the lock rings out for the Hornady split lock rings that tighten up with a set screw. Once the die is adjusted correctly it is just a matter of putting it in the press each time and the setting is the same - the Lee O-ring lock rings don't allow for that.
    I use the new Lee Ultimate lock rings, the split clamp design and the free die wrench sold me. The gold plating really classes up my old rockchucker.

https://leeprecision.com/ultimate-lo...gs-3-pack.html

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I forgot how many guys tighten their lock rings too tight, tighter than necessary. I started using Lee died with the flats and locking O-rings in approx. 1971. Since then I have purchased 11 die sets from Lee, and a half dozen from other manufacturers. I have never, nope never had to tighten any lock ring down more than finger tight, I have never, no never had a Lee lock ring, O-ring style loosen up and change die settings, in single stage presses and turret presses. I have had die sets (purchased used which I will never do again) arrive with distorted body threads, stripped corners on lock rings, gouged lock rings and die bodies from channel locks and/or vise grips, and stripped allen socket set screws. Obviously some reloader "needed" to use a 18" crescent plus a 36" cheater bar to get his rings "tight enough to not move"...

Seriously, I have gone to school for nuts and bolts. I worked for a large city dept of water and power (auto/heavy equipment mechanic, electrician) and one of our vendors had classes on threads, most types, bolts, nuts, metric and SAE, all materials and how they are produced and how they should be used. Torque measuring and effects of bolt/nut finishes, materials on torque, and different "locking methods". The O-ring was discussed and the use "expanded" to show how many variations of the O-ring are used in nut locking methods. Just hearing/reading some reloaders, I can safely say many tighten the lock rings, waaaay too tight...

But they are their dies and lock rings and they can treat them any way they want, I'm just giving an "educated" side of the "hate Lee lock rings" discussion...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-09-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    i use the lee oring lock rings on all my dies finger tight is all you need.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I put mine in finger tight but need a wrench to get them out. The little plastic spanner will get them loose in tight quarters on turrets and progressives that is a plus. It is not a big enough deal to replace all the rings I have but a few calibers that I use the same set of dies for different length cases will get the new ones eventually.
    The little spanner wrench that works from the top of the die will work with out removing the PM pretty slick idea you are not going to over tighten with that short plastic wrench.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, this is another lock ring thread? The wrench is so you can get into tight spaces, as is on some progressive and turret presses. If you used a wrench on a single stage press, the problem isn't the lock ring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Oh, this is another lock ring thread? The wrench is so you can get into tight spaces, as is on some progressive and turret presses. If you used a wrench on a single stage press, the problem isn't the lock ring.
    You are so right, I never needed a wrench on a single stage.
    At least that is where I see the benefit but no reason they wouldn't work on any press .

Boolit Grand Master

No one has mentioned a "set screw" on the new Lee "sprocket" lock rings , I can't see any set screws in the photo's .... I should assume these new ones don't have a set screw either...
    Somebody tell me I'm wrong and that they do have a set screw...
    That O-ring set up still sorta bothers me but I've learned to live with it .
    A set screw I don't have to install would still have been nice...Lee should ask us about these things !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    No one has mentioned a "set screw" on the new Lee "sprocket" lock rings , I can't see any set screws in the photo's .... I should assume these new ones don't have a set screw either...
    A set screw I don't have to install would still have been nice...Lee should ask us about these things !
    Gary
    Lee doesn't have a set screw, but you can buy what they call the "ultimate lock rings" which have a cross bolt.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got my latest die set (50 Beo) with these new "fancy" lock rings, to be honest I don't care one way or the other but I had to spend a lot of time polishing sizing die. Out of the box it felt like case mouth was going against a washboard.

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone bought the wrench/spanner for these new lock rings?
    Is it metal or plastic?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Made of Nylon....below is from Lee's website---MSRP is $2.00.

Black nylon wrench for loosening spline drive lock-rings and lock-ring eliminator bushing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    Look here
    https://leeprecision.com/ultimate-lo...gs-3-pack.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12