Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any inline chevy experts among us?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I have been finding car stuff on amazon lately. With the usual Jegs, or summit, some times being cheeper.i haven’t been to auto zone in a few years. All this old parts where easily found a few years ago. Not any more. Try finding parts for a slant 6 . Junk yards where full of them . Now there no where to be found. All the junk yards around here cleaned house a few years ago
    Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head, I miss those days. All the old stuff is gone. Its probably been almost 10yrs ago, a buddy of mine needed a plain jane stamped small block chevy valve cover so he tried all the local yards. Not a single one, all LS engines even then. He just wanted one to cut the top off of to make a splash dam to lash the valves on his 73' Vette.

Used to be all kinds of neat old stuff at the salvage but you have to go to a specialty yard for that stuff now and those are few & far.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head, I miss those days. All the old stuff is gone. Its probably been almost 10yrs ago, a buddy of mine needed a plain jane stamped small block chevy valve cover so he tried all the local yards. Not a single one, all LS engines even then. He just wanted one to cut the top off of to make a splash dam to lash the valves on his 73' Vette.

Used to be all kinds of neat old stuff at the salvage but you have to go to a specialty yard for that stuff now and those are few & far.
    My last visit to a salvage yard was a couple of years ago north of Seattle. I was looking forward van seat. I walked in and stood at the counter for several minutes before I could get someone to notice me. I asked about the seat and she rather curtly you explained that she had no idea what they had in the yard. If I wanted to go out and look to see if they had what I needed I could give her $7 entrance fee to go look. I declined, went home, jumped on CL and found a really nice seat for $25 delivered.

Chris,

I love your signature line. In the recent past I was scolded on one board for mentioning prayer. Then, on another board, I mentioned God and guns in a post and got banned for it.

I am loving this forum. Members speak freely about a broad range of topics including Faith and politics and it's OK. We are, mostly, adults here and should be able to have adult conversations with others that have different views.

Thanks for putting up with me

S.

"God, Family, Country"

Banned

I know back in the 60s the 6 cyl used the same one as the 283 did. I put a 283 in a nova that had a 6 and used the one off the 6cyl.

Boolit Buddy
    check to see if they take the same thermostat if they do they will probably fit

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Thanks sigep, that is the one for the 250 six I've been seeing pictures of. I asked 12Bolt Tom, he has them, and he told me they are in fact compatible so I ordered one. It's a casting, I'll need to flatten the mating surfaces, but it will work and the bolt "ears" are reinforced with an additional boss below the bolt. I'll let you know how this works out. And I'll buy a 3/8" torque wrench and try to go a little more gently into the future with this old stuff.
    Well, hows it working out for ya?

Boolit Grand Master

If the housing you ordered doesn't work try the Chrome Shop here in Phoenix, Az. They have lots of restoration parts for GM products. I bought steering shaft parts for my '87 motorhome from them.

Boolit Master
    The housing showed up this week, I painted it and flattened the gasket faces some and I should have it installed this weekend. It has a couple extra threaded ports, but I can just plug those. I put a carb kit in the old Rochester Monojet while I was waiting and that will go back on this weekend as well. The carb was a mess, it looks like the last guy who was in it only had an ax and a pry bar for tools. I soaked it in lacquer thinner overnight and then flushed about a quarter cup of dirt out the next day. We'll see how it goes.

Boolit Master
    I installed the new housing and it's matching water neck today. All looks good. The mounting plate of the housing is 1/2" thicker, (needed longer bolts),and it has a couple extra ports, and it leans out from the face of the block a little more, but there is plenty of room for all of those variations so I'm all set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12