Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Barber shave

Barber shave

Well I just got home from having a barber shave. Was a great feeling and, enjoyable experience. Was wondering how many here and, how often dose anyone go for a wet shave. I straight razor shave myself when I shave but verymuch enjoy a barber shave experience.

Boolit Master

I go for a wet shave every Sunday before church in my bathroom.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Close as I can get is the straight razor on the back of the neck and towards the ears and then the hot towel. Relaxing to say the least

Boolit Master
    only had a barber shave me twice in my life,both were good experiences but I was a little nervous,hot towel,warm shaving cream and a 75 year old man popping a straight razor on a razor strap

Boolit Master
    My barber past away years ago but for two dollars he would give me the best shave ever I miss him. Now I double edge shave but not quite the same.

Boolit Bub
    I have had two. My first was for my 30th birthday and the next was exactly one year afterwards. However, at $25 for a shave and another $25 for a haircut, I fell out of the habit real quick.

Boolit Master
    My father used a straight razor when he shaved. I saw a movie in which something was hidden in a book, I don't remember what it was but I did think, what a neat idea. I took my fathers razor and cut out the center of an old book. The next day you could have heard my father across town his yell was so loud.He accused my older sister of shaving her legs with it. Like the little coward I was, I never opened my mouth. Dad never found out it was me. I was about eleven at the time. As I am typing this I can see my fathers razor and shaving brush in a glass case hanging on the wall.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Usually, I use a safety razor. I love that thing. It's fast and I don't rip myself to shreds with it.

But I use a straight razor on occasion just as something special. Takes a bit long but dang. That's a great way to shave.

The newer disposable razors just don't shave very well. Not nearly as well as a great piece of steel.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

I use a safety razor as well...it took me almost 6 months of testing to find the right brand of blades that suited my face. The "sharpest" isn't necessarily the best blade for everyone....anyway...I use Silver tipped badger brush to apply shaving soap from a puck. I switched to this method about 6 years ago....best switch I ever made.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

One barber shave when I was younger, but the razor burn was painful. Tried to shave myself once with a straight razor, and scared myself so badly that I never tried it again.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    Only twice. Like scattershot, razor burn was painful. Started out with safety razor, but tough whiskers/tender skin on neck drew too much blood, so electric razor for the last 50 years

Boolit Master

I like the straight razor and safety razor. I have to admit however, I like the shavette with Turkish Derby blades.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I miss those barber shaves. Nothing like being pampered for a few minutes to make a person feel great.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    One of the things I'd like to try the problem is barbers are in short supply around here and the few that are not even sure if they learned how to use a straight razor in barber school. Come to think of it wonder if any cases of barbers going Sweemey Todd on their client's

I usually just buzz my whiskers once a week the same as my hair but the 2 or 3 times a year I shave is with a safety razor and Derby blades.
    There is a barber in town that straight razor shaves and you can even have a glass of burbon while your waiting. I guess he does the whole face message complete hot towel thing. I have saw videos on youtube and it looks awesome

Not that I have shaved in years, but when I did, it was with a straight. A buddy's dad was an old school barber and I would get a good shave from him throughout high school. I'd also stop in for a cut and shave on the way home from college every chance I got. He's long since retired. I asked my 80+ year old barber when I was overseas for a shave one time and it just wasn't the same. I'm not aware of anyone still doing them that doesn't cost 3 fortunes. In Texas, you have to have a barber's license and I think an extra certificate to do them. I just don't think that many folks do or can do a wet shave anymore since we are regulated to death.

To those who got razor burn, that barber either didn't know what he was doing or hadn't sharpened that razor in a while. Done right, there is no reason to feel anything but smooth and awesome after a proper barber shave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	258443

Boolit Grand Master
    mab0852 got it right. My last trip to a barber shop was in 2002. Wouldn't have gone then but I was working in Artesia, NM and far from home. I switch between a straight and a double edge and have to admit, when it's sharp, the straight is the best.

Boolit Master
    I had an older Italian barber who had his own shop. Every once in awhile I treated my self to a shave. Sold the shop and opened a one man place a couple blocks away. He didn't like the location but couldn't stand to stay home so went back to being a barber. Had been cutting my hair for years and I always went to him. Finally he closed his doors but not before asking if he could come to my house to cut my hair. heck yeah. We exchanged phone numbers and when needed he show up and cut my hair and my dads. Al was a good man and one day my mom was reading the paper and said Al passed away. One of the saddest days. Called his wife and expressed my condolences and told her about Al coming to my house and that he would be sorely missed. Never had another haircut the way he did it. They stopped doing straight razor shaves in NY after AID's showed up and no one does it here in Louisiana for the same reason. Today use a electric shaver is good enough. Frank

Boolit Master

The razor burn is most likely too much pressure or trying get close with a dull razor. On occassion, a freshly stone sharpened razor that hasn't been strop mellowed can be abit aggressive to.