RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee APP press

Boolit Master

New mod for the APP

Hi all,
    I also posted this on the other APP thread, but thought you might like it as well. The short version is I made a soda bottle adapter to use instead of the pretty bottle they sent with the kit.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	258612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	258613 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	258614

It seems to me that mounting a bin under the press will be simpler and higher capacity.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by etherwalker View Post
    It seems to me that mounting a bin under the press will be simpler and higher capacity.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
    Both would be true. I am loading in my house now and really like that the primer waste is contained as much as possible . Actually I felt that way when I was loading in my shop to.

Boolit Master
    At the Lee web-sight in the new product section has some adapters to mount 1 pound powder containers on the powder measure , It would bug me not being able to see my powder level in the measure , but it's tempting to not have to pour powder back and forth from container to measure.
    Last edited by onelight; 03-15-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I have been able to use mine some more. It does great decapping but I can't get my primer pocket swager to work on 556 cases. I will get the bullet sizer set up p this week. That's the real reason I bought it anyway. Overall I like it.
    I struggled with swaging a few hundred 5.56 cases. I followed instructions and used the decapping/expansion/flaring die. The problem centered around case alignment. I decided to put a little flare on the case mouth with a Lee mouth flaring die - which helped a great deal. I didn't encounter this problem when swaging 7.62 brass.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I like the current bottle for sizing my cast bullets. I do not think i really want to have more hanging under my press. That could end up being to much weight for the press. I size my 405 grain to .459 and that ends up being plenty of weight really quickly.

Boolit Master

A mod of the mod!

Hi all,
    I posted this previously about the soda bottle adapter I printed 3D to use soda bottles instead of the pretty jar Lee includes with the APP. Well, I tweaked it to now have Soda threads on both ends so you can put the cap back on the adapter and store your primer bottle until it fills up. It's available on Thingiverse here.
    Ed

Name:	Coupler1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	259567 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coupler2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	259568 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	259569

Very useful! While you are in the posting mood, share it with the guys at TheHighRoad.org......there's a few 3D printer owners there. Thanks for the post!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Very useful! While you are in the posting mood, share it with the guys at TheHighRoad.org......there's a few 3D printer owners there. Thanks for the post!
    Hi GW,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Posted here!
    Ed

I spent some time thinking about the APP press. I figured I ought to get one now when the price is not so much.
    I ordered it yesterday. If things go well it should be here by Wednesday or thereabouts.
    When I get it set up and use it a bit I'll let you know how I like it.
    Leo

Mine is out for delivery now, very excited.

I really like mine and have improved it considerably with 3D printed bullet and case feeders from thingverse

I had the 245gr Noe blackout boolit and it would fall over during the feeding process. I printed a tall plate that had a long hollow shaft instead of the tiny ring the originals had. 100% feeding with no issues.

I am experimenting with a funnel I printed that fits on the end of the clear tube that makes it easy to drop shells with my left hand while operating the press with my right hand speeds things up considerably.

Could someone post pictures of your case feed mount for a dumb jarhead? I need to see more pictures than the sparse Lee instruction pamphlet.

Also, how adjustable is the App swager? I assume one can only adjust the top part?

https://leeprecision.com/primer-pocket-swager/

Name:	91582_swagingsetup.jpg 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	260125

Mine has been delayed a bit. I checked the first email I got from Mid South and read it a bit closer. The Covid 19 has them behind abit. The social distancing thing and all that. They said it may take up to 14 days to ship. On the (th I got an email saying it was shipped.
    Now it maybe here by Wednesday.
    I'm getting a bit anxious. I have been casting some bullets to try.
    I have some 357 and 44 mag cases I can run through to see how it decaps and sizes.
    I might even try it on the 223 with the collet neck sizer.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Also, how adjustable is the App swager? I assume one can only adjust the top part?

https://leeprecision.com/primer-pocket-swager/

Name:	91582_swagingsetup.jpg 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	260125
    You assume right. I adjusted it wrong at first and there was no way it would work....so follow directions. This is a case of "less is more." If you can't lower the press arm with about 25# force to its normal stops the inside rod is adjusted too deep. It still is harder to use than a Dillon or RCBS bench swager (each properly adjusted) But then they don't have a feeder, so overall it's still worthwhile. Know that all swagers have difficulties with very hard (old) brass spring-back. So sometimes in those cases you have to swage again. Fairly recent LC or other military brass should work best.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-11-2020 at 06:14 PM.

On my Dillon I swage case once turn it 180 * and swage again. I think this helps the pocket be more concentric.
    Leo

You assume right. I adjusted it wrong at first and there was no way it would work....so follow directions. This is a case of "less is more." If you can't lower the press arm with about 25# force to its normal stops the inside rod is adjusted too deep. It still is harder to use than a Dillon or RCBS bench swager (each properly adjusted) But then they don't have a feeder, so overall it's still worthwhile. Know that all swagers have difficulties with very hard (old) brass spring-back. So sometimes in those cases you have to swage again. Fairly recent LC or other military brass should work best.
    Tell me this, on other swagers (Hornady), my experience is that there is a noticeable hard push, then a pronounced rebound. This is much less noticeable on the App, what is your experience with the same?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Tell me this, on other swagers (Hornady), my experience is that there is a noticeable hard push, then a pronounced rebound. This is much less noticeable on the App, what is your experience with the same?
    Haven't seen a Hornady, but on the RCBS press mounted swager.....lots of leverage meant barely noticeable slip in, the stop, then very noticeable pull to get the darn button out of the primer pocket....hated that part.

Haven't used a Dillon, but the RCBS bench swager is similar and is nearly no effort at all......but it has no casefeeder!....and no swager has any guarantee that the metal didn't spring back some to make seating a primer a PIA. So with the RCBS Bench swager when I used the Trim Mate to to uniform pocket depth.....IF it didn't just slide in the uniformer, I had the military reamer just behind to ream it just a tad so I could then uniform it and thus guarantee my progressive wouldn't have a hickup.

Video of that (much slower) operation below: (steps illustrated: swage, then uniform pocket depth for my progressive, then deburr the flash hole.)

BTW the one that didn't work in the video still had a spent primer in it ......took me long enough to look....doh........
    Last edited by GWS; 04-11-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Haven't seen a Hornady, but on the RCBS press mounted swager.....lots of leverage meant barely noticeable slip in, the stop, then very noticeable pull to get the darn button out of the primer pocket....hated that part.

Haven't used a Dillon, but the RCBS bench swager is similar and is nearly no effort at all......but it has no casefeeder!....and no swager has any guarantee that the metal didn't spring back some to make seating a primer a PIA. So with the RCBS Bench swager when I used the Trim Mate to to uniform pocket depth.....IF it didn't just slide in the uniformer, I had the military reamer just behind to ream it just a tad so I could then uniform it and thus guarantee my progressive wouldn't have a hickup.

Video of that (much slower) operation below: (steps illustrated: swage, then uniform pocket depth for my progressive, then deburr the flash hole.)

BTW the one that didn't work in the video still had a spent primer in it ......took me long enough to look....doh........
    Yeah...that video makes the Lee App look like a motorized Dillon 1050

The Lee App is gonna give a lot of us more free time, methinks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast