Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 5.7x28

Boolit Buddy

5.7x28

has anyone loaded for the 5.7x28 I been looking at a ruger 57 is there any problems with loading this cal I read that the 5.7x28 and the 22 tcm should not be hand load to high of pressure?

Boolit Man
    I think one issue is the lacquered cases. The coating eventually comes off the cases with cleaning and reloading and changes the timing of the cycling of the action. I’m certainly not an expert though.

Boolit Master

I own the dies, an FN and a bunch of brass as well as a bunch of factory loaded stuff. I have not felt the need to load it yet, I suspect the coating will become an issue and I am not sure how well the brass will work without the coating.

Boolit Master
    When you clean casings you DO NOT tumble them, this will take the finish off. Use a strong solution of simple green and water. I let them sit in a sink for an hour or so occasionally stirring them around. Rinse and let dry.

I know nothing about the ruger 57 outside of some youtube videos. The FN can fire out of battery and the necks have to be set back when sizing or they will not fully chamber. Combined with a high chamber pressure and a plastic framed gun this can lead to some interesting situations if you're not aware of this. There is a reason dillon doesn't make a shell plate for it. This is a small case and is pretty unforgiving to small changes in charges or seating depths. Ramshot true blue is a decent powder to get your feet wet with the 5.7. Attention to detail is a must with this one. It's a fun one to play with but I wouldn't recommend it to a novice reloader.

A good place to start reading is here.

https://www.fivesevenforum.com/

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman’s latest manual has load data. Don’t deviate and you will be fine. Stick to loads that will cycle.

I load for PS90 suppressed SBR. It’s super fantastic. I don’t do subs though.... It’s outside of published load data.

Detroit ammo or something like that sells a 1050 shell plate.

Use cases 1-2 times max is what I have been told. Once fired cases are pretty cheap. Or buy some ammo and load just those. I load progressive with powder check die. I would not load progressive without it but that is just me.

Someone makes a 550 shell plate. RCBS presses have shell plates. Hornady does not.

Boolit Master
    I reload the .22 TCM regularly. Nothing special for reloading either. It is great fun to shoot. Super impressive when you set off a round, it tends to draw a crowd at the range. The .22 TCM cases are regular brass cases, no weird stuff on them. One could convert .223 cases to .22 TCM but it is a of of work though. Fortunately, you can buy cases easily enough. Anyway since the cases are derived from the .223 cases, the little rounds can be loaded to some high pressures. it is a magnum and not wimpy in that sense.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-09-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master