Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone

Boolit Grand Master

Tracfone

Anyone use Tracfone?????
    Still looking for a cheap carrier, and saw them at walmart.

Boolit Master

I have tracfone Samsung J7 Sky Pro and (for me) one year of service, $125.00 is a just about right.
    Last edited by Hickory; 03-07-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Model clarification
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I really like mine,
    Get the phone that has Triple Minutes so when you
    get the Annual + 400 minute card you get 1200 minutes and what
    ever bonus you can rangle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-...saAla5EALw_wcB

https://www.bestreviews.guide/tracfo...&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=381543623188&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=76772379734&google_params[campaignid]=6490998898&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9028392&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0|254&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh ojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHUEQcKm4BboDpXiVEfVuXmZVFf5F7dk5an nKzMT_pMC81MVc1g5RGUaAk5wEALw_wcB

Mine is NOT a smart phone and will NOT do apps, but it will make phone calls and send texts.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

my wife had one and about 400 min stored up. when she bought a new phone and registered it the minutes disappeared. You couldn't give her a million minutes if it was on tracfone.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    If you don’t use your minutes within a certain period you lose them. I bought one for my dad when his health started declining so he could make emergency calls. Of the hundreds of minutes I paid for I doubt more than 10 were ever used. Any sort of prepaid cell phone is generally most popular with people who need a burner phone or people with bad credit than people who expect to keep the same number and same carrier for an extended period of time. Or for people who truly only want a cell phone for emergencies. If you plan on using it very much there are probably cheaper options on a contract.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have t mobile now.
    I almost never use the phone.
    Just for "In case"
    Paying $20 a month.
    Looking for something cheaper.
    Just a basic plan.
    No stupid phone for me.
    They have a basic plan for $19.95 for three months.
    Looks like just what I need.
    Only thing holding me back is dealing with people at walmart.
    Don't know about your parts, but it seem walmart will hire anything here.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use straight talk from Walmart. $45 a month for unlimited calling and internet use.

My dad has a trac phone and never hangs it up so his minutes get burnt up really fast.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Galaxy J7 Sky Pro from tracfone for $40.00 just to see if I wanted to get into a smart phone. I tend to pile up more data, text and phone minutes than I use.

Boolit Master
    Wife and I had them for years, when days/minutes got low bought another card and reloaded. Good reception where we were and had no issues with it. Use a Samsung smart phone now for additional features with Verizon now, but for a basic phone the Tracfone is hard to beat.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I have tracfone Samsung S7 and (for me) one year of service, $125.00 is a just about right.
    I have the same, the phone does all I need and more. The one year service includes 1000 minutes. Plenty for me, I have around 3000 minutes on mine since I use it so little. Internet access doesn't use the time apparently, which is handy when I'm looking for an address or business.

I was clued in by a sales person when buying more airtime. Buy four 90 day cards, rather than the one year card. Cheaper.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

My wife and I both have one. We don't have cellphone service where we live so we both have one for use when were away from home. Neither one gets used very much but they are comforting to have in case of an emergency or need to contact some one. We both get the annual card which costs about $100. The minutes do carry over from year to year. I have about 4000 minutes on mine and probably use 30 or 40 a year. There have been a couple occasions when I really needed a phone and my Tracfone was in my pocket.
    Chuck

We used to use tracfone but got tired of having to keep up with refilling the account before the card expired so that we wouldn't lose our minutes. We've switched to a prepaid service now named redpocket and are much happier. No contract, but it's set up to renew every month with our credit card so no worries about getting a card and all of that. I think the basic deal is 500 texts, 500 minutes, and 500 Mb of data for $10.00 a month. No relation or anything, but that's the best deal that we found. Only drawback was that they can't send pictures with an iphone for some reason, but that isn't a problem for us.

I use total wireless from walmart, same thing I believe. I get 6 gig unlimited and unlimited text and talk for 35 a month. Best thing is, my company pays me 40 a month to use my personal phone.

Moderator Emeritus

My Tracfone -- direct from them -- was by far the BEST cellular telephone I ever had! HOWEVER -- most sadly due to my most rural region, when the upgraded to analog several years back, it was still better than AT&T or Verizon -- only other choices, as TracFone uses anyone's towers. Hence, in fishing and hunting trips, I'd regularly be the "hero" as only mine worked! Another "however", last year most towers again upgraded, so my operation became spotty at best. I since then went to Spectrum "by the gig" plan with unlimited talk & text -- for $14.00 a month including everything. I believe they use Verizon towers, but may be wrong here.
    What I'm "saying" is find someone with a cellular telephone as you wish, and hear from them re coverage. What is a great 'phone -- regardless of make or carrier -- in one area, may be no more than a paper-weight not that many miles away.
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I had one for several years and it worked well. I switched to Virgin Mobile for some reason and that worked great. Maybe it was losing the minutes on one and rolling them over on the other or something.

Now we use Consumer Cellular. Uses the AT&T network, comes in great and the cost is less than the majors and there is no contract. Month to month and cancel anytime you want. Went AT&T network because Verizon doesn't have a tower anywhere near my camp up north. Unlimited text, calling and 15 data (I think) for both of us is $85. Bought our phones off Amazon unlocked. Wife my old Galaxy 6 Neo and I have an Oukitel. Bought the Galaxy because it has a removable battery so you can replace it and carry a spare. Got the Oukitel because the battery is twice the size of a normal phone. Using it for a couple of days answering emails, texting, podcasting and it only go's down 1/2 or so.

If your looking to not have a contract I highly recommend Consumer Cellular. I had Cricket before them and they also were fine. Consumer was a little cheaper for us.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Depends on the type of tracfone you purchase, how much you plan to use it.

I had a flip phone for quite a while and was very happy with it although ran light on minutes a couple times at the end of the 90 days. Had to upgrade and went to a low end smart phone.

I've an LG tracfone now, $15 a month plus tax. 500 minutes plus lots of text and data that I will never use up. I can't get a balance of the minutes on this one like the flip phone but I've not run out, easier to text than the flip model and so far am pleased with it.

I did have another phone that wasn't LG mfr and it lasted about a year, so it's LG for me for the foreseeable future. YMMV

Moderator Emeritus

I use Tracfone. You don't need to buy it at Walmart, just order direct from tracfone's website. Also, you can buy time/minutes in the future and it's put directly on your phone account.
    First I bought a Galaxy J7 skypro, through their website for $40, but I didn't like the phone, it's too large...and I don't like the android software, it's not user friendly...so after 6 months, I bought a used "unlocked" iphone off ebay for $100, and transferred my time/minutes/data to it. The phone much is smaller, I love it... and I prefer Apple's software.

Also, while channel surfing on the TV, I seen on QVC, they had a LG smart phone that came with a 1 year tracfone plan, for only $49. I was gonna order it, just for the minutes, but the small print said the phone comes preloaded with the minutes/time/data on a "new" account only...can't be transfered to an existing account.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah, you should investigate what cell service has the best signal in your area. Verizon is the best in my area, and I found out that Tracfone uses Verizon towers in my area, that is another big reason I chose Tracfone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have very marginal signal here at home, ranging from one bar to none. I recently put up a cell booster, and now get three bars pretty reliably.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have very marginal signal here at home, ranging from one bar to none. I recently put up a cell booster, and now get three bars pretty reliably.
    Which one? Wilson of semi antenna game makes a great booster
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast