MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: WTB: S&W .357 for my son

Boolit Buddy

WTB: S&W .357 for my son

Our son was recently hired as a police officer by a local town here in Illinois and this has been his first week at Academy. He has wanted a Smith and Wesson .357 Mag for several years (yes, apparently at least SOME of my training has stuck... ) but was saving up his money to purchase his own house and to get married. He accomplished the house purchase about a year and a half ago at the age of 21 and got married this last fall, passing up different deals on revolvers that I would have probably not had the willpower to resist, myself.
    He has put a lot of hard work into achieving his goal of becoming an officer, and when he graduates in another 3 months or so I would like to give him a meaningful keepsake to mark the event; something that he, our daughter-in-law and their future kids can enjoy for a lifetime. Considering the significance of the occasion it would seem natural that a nice revolver would have particular meaning to him, so I am looking to see who here might have a nice, older S&W for sale, preferably a pre-lock. Unfortunately my budget doesn't currently allow me to spend the kind of money that a lot of these guns sell for on G-broker, but I should be able to swing $600 or so, depending on what's available. It would be awesome to buy locally, but it's very difficult to find good gun deals here in the kommie state where we live.
    This will not be a CCW or backup duty gun but rather a family keepsake suitable for pleasure shooting. As such, here are the criteria he would probably prefer:

1. No snubbies, but preferably a 4-6" barrel.
    2. Stainless would be great, blue also would be fine if the finish looks nice. Nickel is probably not a good idea.
    3. .357 Mag in a K, L or N frame, please. I know he would also enjoy a .22LR in a 17 or 617, however.
    4. Adjustable rear sight is preferred, although I wouldn't absolutely rule out a fixed model if the right deal presented itself. (Yeah, one of those deals that he passed up was a model 681 for $399!! )
    5. Nice condition. It doesn't have to be of museum quality that's in brand-new condition, but I don't want to give him something that looks like it bounced around in a toolbox for the last 6 months, either.
    6. A pre-lock model is preferred, but again, a post-lock model might work, depending on what it is.

I'm not totally adverse to buying something that needs some TLC as long as it doesn't need to be sent off to be re-blued or require costly repairs. Ugly grips can be replaced. Disassembly/cleaning is something I can handle, as well as certain minor repairs. If it's a particularly attractive model, some flaws can be lived with. My goal is to find something affordable that I can be proud to give him and he will be proud to own.
    Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by LeadHead72; 03-07-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like you raised a good one! Without good law enforcement we couldn't drive 5 miles down the road and not be carjacked, robbed, and beaten. I'm not even going to mention what would happen to our women and kids. Anyway, minor scratches can be easily repaired in stainless or if it is really scratched up it can be bead blasted for a nice brushed look. Have his name "Officer John Doe" engraved on it with his graduation date.
    Best of luck,
    John Wayne
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, John, he's a good kid. Yes, the ability to "brush out" blemishes with reasonable ease is one of the nice things about a stainless gun. And thanks for the idea of of the engraving; I should have thought of that!

Every now and then, a Colt trooper MKIII comes up for around $600.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Every now and then, a Colt trooper MKIII comes up for around $600.
    That is what I have and love... Until I found the .44 mag it saw use but no abuse but the man said S&W...and I'm not quite ready to sell mine just yet... I originally had the Trooper, then when the MK III came out with the Underlug I put in white outline rear sights, custom walnut grip with finger grooves and covered back strap and it tamed the occasional full mag loads, which I didn't shoot often but carried for deer as a back up that never got fired at a deer!

Boolit Master

I always liked the 4" Mod 66 I was issued in the eighties, so much so I bought my own when I left. Light enough for all day carry but still takes .357 mag.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rompin Ruger View Post
    That is what I have and love... Until I found the .44 mag it saw use but no abuse but the man said S&W...and I'm not quite ready to sell mine just yet... I originally had the Trooper, then when the MK III came out with the Underlug I put in white outline rear sights, custom walnut grip with finger grooves and covered back strap and it tamed the occasional full mag loads, which I didn't shoot often but carried for deer as a back up that never got fired at a deer!
    The Trooper is a nice piece, but he has a natural affinity for S&W like his old man does, so finding a Smith just seems the right thing to do for this occasion. Appreciate the input by both of you, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I always liked the 4" Mod 66 I was issued in the eighties, so much so I bought my own when I left. Light enough for all day carry but still takes .357 mag.
    Yes, the 66 is a prime example of one I'd like to find, although the 686 is more of a workhorse.

Boolit Grand Master
    SpotrsmanOutdoorSuperstore has new 686’s for $600 on sale currently.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    SpotrsmanOutdoorSuperstore has new 686’s for $600 on sale currently.
    Thank you for that. We don't have one around here but I could check into shipping.

Which commie state do you live in?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Which commie state do you live in?
    Ill-annoy (Illinois).

Boolit Master

I couldn't even buy my kids their own 66's a couple of years ago, as it isn't on the approved firearms list. The model 65 I could get, but apparently S&W didn't submit 66's for testing.

Boolit Master
    Where at in Illinois are you? Several 686's on Armslist here in STL. PM me if I can help.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Where at in Illinois are you? Several 686's on Armslist here in STL. PM me if I can help.
    Your offer is much appreciated, I'm several hours from you.

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent.
    Chill45100

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by chill45100 View Post
    PM sent.
    Chill45100
    Thank you very much, Chill, reply sent and topic is now closed.

Boolit Buddy
    Closed.