Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the old Lyman cast bullet handbooks worthwhile?

Boolit Master
    Well, I have some older powder, w230, w630, some alcan powders and others that aren't listed in the newer books so for me they have some value. There are other powders that are still made that aren't listed often in the new books as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I really value the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 3rd edition. It has a lot of Herco data. I just recently picked up 12 pounds of Herco for a great price. Between this website and my copy of the 3rd edition I did a lot of research before my purchase. I had read here that Herco was basically a slow Unique, and that it has a dedicated following. That it would work well in calibers that I load.

I had been looking at Vectan AO, and I almost bought a bunch of it. The one thing that held me back was the lack of load data for AO.

JM

The first and second edition are neat. But unless you have an obscure mould, vintage powder, or obsolete cartridge they are nearly useless for a modern caster. You learn about casting more from the third edition than any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerone View Post
    I just ordered this reprint of "Lyman 1958 Handbook of Cast Bullets, 1st Edition"

https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns...p?item_id=2949
    This is where I got the ones I did not have from , it is good information in them help out on somethings. you can not have too many manuals
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I started casting/reloading in the early 60s so I have a number of the older manuals.
    I picked up a number of even older manuals at the H&G estate sale.
    I don`t think you can have too many loading manuals.
    I cross reference loading data all the time....dale

Boolit Master
    Nothing new to add but will repeat what others have pointed out. Several years ago a friend gave me four cans of Hercules Lighting powder that had a date of 11,1939. It appeared to be OK and didn't have the acrid odor of "over the hill" powder so I tried a light load in a 30-06. Worked fine but I had no loading information on the powder. The range master loaned me a Lyman hand book from the early 1950's. It contained the information I needed and I loaded about fifty rounds, all of which shot well. The powder was made in the shape of very small dough-nuts and it it left a lot of them in the barrel.after each shot. I gave the powder to another friend. It was just too much trouble cleaning the barrel after a few shots.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman's newest manuals do not include a couple of bullets which I like, including #358432 and 452423. I guess because they don't sell these molds anymore (why they are DC'd I cannot explain). So the old manuals are the only ones which provide any data for these bullets. But the older data is not backed up as well with pressure data. So you have to take more of a chance with the older data; I use it with some caution.
    Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 04-03-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lymans 4th Cast book is screwy. Who uses .429 cast bullets in 44Mag? ALL their load data is for .429 CAST. Going to .430 made all the difference for me. No leading, increased velocity. Idiots!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12