RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Mold modification

Mold modification

I have a two cavity aluminum 265g 44 cal mold from Accurate. Both cavities are gas checked. I want to have the molds modified to plain base and the lube and crimp grooves removed. I plan to go the PC route with these boolits.

I am looking for recommendations for what firm to hire for this work. If the price is too steep for the modifications I may just sell the mold and order what I want from Accurate.

BB

Boolit Master
    Check with Eric at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ to see if he can do that for you but I would just recommend selling and ordering new. Someone out there would have to want that mold.

Personally I just PC standard groove boolits. Does no harm and allows me to switch to standard lube if application demands.

Boolit Buddy
    I've done it with my 7x lathe on 2 cavity Lee molds - What you are describing is a very simple operation: indicate the cavity and then a straight bore to the depth of the last lube groove.

Looks like the mold is $89 - not sure if paying to have it modded is worth it. Even at 1hr of shop time the price is going to be more than a new mold minus selling the old one.

Boolit Master
    Not the same thing, but several years ago it was $50 a cavity to do a hollow point, so you will never get your money back on the mold. I would suggest selling and buying what you want, as you may find a useful used mold. Regardless, lube grooves are not going to hurt if you are going to PC.

Boolit Master
    Lube grooves help control base distortion by absorbing some of the alloy displaced by the rifling lands. I don't understand why some are quick to remove them.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

You need to buy another mold.

As we all know, whoever dies with the most toys---wins.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Lube grooves help control base distortion by absorbing some of the alloy displaced by the rifling lands. I don't understand why some are quick to remove them.

YES!!
    What he said.

Thank you Mal Paso, I finally found somebody who gets it.

Just like Barnes solid copper bullets; they added the grooves because the metal displaced by the rifling needs somewhere to go.

Just my humble opinion. (and Mal Paso's too, it seems)
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Check With BEN! He has thought a lot of folks to plain base with just a drill press...His method works!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    IMO the only good thing about the smooth sided bullets is that they drop out if the mold easier. They raise pressures over an equivalent groove design because the rifling has to displace more metal as it engraves the bullet. I bought a couple of smooth sided molds on sale and I’ve not found them to shoot any better than coated conventional bullets.

Sell your mold and get a plain base version. I’ve never heard a bad word about Accurate so I suspect it would sell quickly here.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Rule #1 : Never sell or trade a mould, keep what you got...buy another .
    If things don't work out like you think they will...and they usually don't ... you still have your conventional mould ... sometimes gas checks are the answer to a problem. Smooth sided , plain based and powdered coated may not be the answer to your problems...don't limit yourself to one way . Leave a place for displaced metal on a boolit if not...base distortion occurs .
    I've never had a boolit shoot worse groups when a gas check was installed ... always improved accuracy .
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Absolutely true. When metal is moved it has to go somewhere and on the base of the bullet is the worse place as far as accuracy is concerned.

Biker - the points mentioned above are valid, probably easier and cost effective to just get Tom to cut what you want.
    All my rifle (30cal) are effectively grooveless and shoot very well. Very small collector groove for displaces metal.Pistol moulds are normal design, not worth the cost to change them.
    Large LGs weaken the boolit, verified by twisting them till fail and they always fail at the groove.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

You can do it yourself, just buy a HSS Straight Shank/Flute Chucking Reamer, Decimal Size .432 for $29.
    https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...ze-432-8-flute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I see two options

Sell this buy what ya want.

I can see wanting to omit the GC. I’m doing same. No need for a GC in a Pistol bullet if ya PC.

But grease groves don’t seem to hurt anything and as mentioned give the metal a place to go. I kinda subscribe to DONT fix what ain’t broke.

Those 350 Bullets we got haven’t proven very accurate for me. I don’t think it’s anything but design. They have no grooves. My Saexo 180 is shoot
    I got great!

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw