Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: .270

Boolit Man

Anyone loading cast boolets for the .270 Winchester? I have a Model 1500 Howa but I don't know the twist. So far, I have loaded 130 grain psp and 150 grain psp.

Boolit Master
    Measuring the twist is easy, if the rifle makers website doesn't supply that information. Wrap a cleaning patch around a bore brush, mark your cleaning rod twice, 12" apart. Count the rod's turns during that 12" insertion. The twist rate for a 270Win. should be fairly standardized.

As far as I know, all 270 Win. Rifles have a 1 in 10 twist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have been getting my recently acquired 50 year old Mod. 70 270 ready for NCBS iron sight shoots. My best results have been with an old Lyman 120 gr. Loverin style mold but not far behind has been 140's from a new Lee mold from Midsouth. So far, ultra-light loads using Red Dot with magnum primers and 5744 with regular primers have given me fair to good results with the 120's. 5744 giving velocities around 1950 fps have been the best so far with the 120's. Hopefully the 120's are large enough so that hits can be seen on the 400 yard gong. It is definitely already at minute-of-coyote out to 200 yards given that I am only using iron sights so results vary depending on my old eyes on a given day. It is totally fun to shoot and recoil can barely be felt. This project is still a work in progress. The Lee boolit will definitely be the better hunting boolit due to its shape and I will spend more time with it later. My 7mm TCU shooting 140's at 1950 fps have performed well for me on medium size deer at iron sight ranges so I have no doubt that the 270 will do the same with CB's. Maybe this applies to you or maybe not since every rifle barrel has a personality.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 03-05-2020 at 09:09 PM.

My 270 is the old Savage cartridge (250/3000 necked up) and the mould I have is an old Ideal 120gns. Early days but the chambering is perfect for cast boolits.

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 03-12-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Bad *** is that a 27/250. I've never heard of that wildcat. Were they a popular 270 wildcat at one time?
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Man
    I forgot that I also have a Ruger #1 in .270 Winchester. It may be a better choice for whitetails. It has harvested two deer and three hogs, all with 130 grain psp's, yet I have a desire to take one more deer with CB's. I call taking deer as a "harvest" because it is a renewable resource.
    Last edited by robinsroost; 03-08-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Boolit Master

I shoot cast in my 270 Winchester. Works very well. I use the Lee .277. Lube or powder coat it doesnt make a difference. Seat to about .002 to. 004 off the lands. Powder choices Red Dot to Tight Group to Reloader 7 to H4895 work inside their means. I shoot about 3 inches at 200 yards at 2050 fps with Reloader 7.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~