RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: m1 30 carbine

Boolit Buddy
    Like all the rest, I've used W296 and Alliant 2400, but I have also experimented with Power Pistol, and got it to cycle with a Lee C309-120 boolit. Warning: Power Pistol is too fast, in my opinion, for jacketed projectiles to cycle the action - but I have NOT tried it (too scared) as I would expect a pressure spike.
    With the gas port pretty far from the chamber, small powder volume and light projectile your powder options are going to remain 1 (maybe 2) step from W296 in speed. heck out the data here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-in-M1-Carbine
    when I plug in that load to QuickLoad, I have to bump it up .5 grains to get the measured velocity of 1750fps. It tells me that 7.5 grains of Power pistol yields 28600 psi at 1750fps, well below the 40000 max. QuickLoad tells me that when I change to a Hornady Jacketed soft point 110 projectile, the pressure goes up to 38000 psi with 7.5 grains of Power Pistol giving only 1830 fps, which is way to close to max pressure for me, and still under normal speed. Tells me I need about 28500 psi to cycle the action (at the chamber pressure). Quickload tells me that is 6.5 grains with the jacketed SP, at 1650fps. Since my field test showed that my lot of PP is more energetic than QL thinks it is, 6.0 grains would be enough to cycle the action.
    Don't do this, this is my data only, cannot be verified, all the other warnings!!
    Last edited by Photog; 04-27-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Most of the powders recommended for the .30 Carbine are too bulky and you end up with compressed loads. I've found 2400 to be in that category but useable. WW296 and H110 work as well. If you can locate a jug of milsurp WC820, grab it. Shoots well in the carbine and should as it's from pulled down .30 Carbine Tracer ammo.
    At one time, Lyman recommended 4759 in it but darned if I was ever able to get enough in the case for it to function and it left all kinds of unburned powder behind./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I've used both 2400 and IMR 4227 in my carbine. Tried the fmj's and soft points but never saw any improvement. Then went on a mission for all the 110 grain or therabouts bullets I could find. Think it was either Speer who did the 110 grain varminter with the hollow point and the 100 grain SJ's or short jacketed bullet. The latter is about half bullet jacket and half lead. Anyway with reduced loads of both 2400 or IMR 4227 the 110 grain varminter showed an improvement right away. Maybe because it has more bearing surface. The 100 grain SJ's were tried but less accurate. But that exposed lead half of the bullet was deadly on anything made of wood. Even tried the Sierra 110 grain flat based hollow point. But less bearing surface than the 110 varminter bullet. Frank

Boolit Master
    h-110 was invented just for the M-1 carbine.

Boolit Grand Master

If considering jacketed bullets; my "go to" jacketed bullet for many years has been the Hornady 100 gr HJ loaded over H110 for 1950 fps out of my M1 Carbines. Always accurate and always deadly on game. The last few years, for SD [particularly around the home] I've found the 90 gr Hornady .308 XTP loaded over H110 to be excellent. Extremely accurate and very, very effective. Not obtrusive to many as a "black rifle" yet at SD distances just as effective. 100 yard group...….

Attachment 261742
    Attachment 261743
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12