RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 gauge slug???

Boolit Bub

28 gauge slug???

Anyone know of a slug mold for 28 gauge? Preferably something in 5/8 to 3/4 ounce with a sabot or wad. I do realize that accuracy will suffer in a smoothbore but for a backup to pop a hog while out squirrel hunting, accuracy isn't necessarily a requirement. would like to hit a 6" circle at 50 yards.

Disclaimer, I have never loaded slugs before but have shot a bunch of them and they all seem to lead foul my 12 gauge..
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a 28 gauge fan here, but this comes up from time to time. A .490" ball in a shotcup should do all you need it to do. Although that does put you down to a little less than 1/2 ounce. Apparently there is a Lyman sabot slug clone that can get you just over 1/2 ounce at 230 grains. Nothing available will get you to 5/8 oz. The easy answer is to just buy Brenneke factory ammo, they are 5/8 oz.

If you load two (2) 50 cal lead round balls you will be just over 3/4 oz.

BB

Boolit Master
    Look on Ebay the Rooskie bunch that make slug molds make one for the 28 gauge . They’re along the same design as the Lyman 525 sabot . I have them from the Rooskies for the 10 , 16 and 28 gauges .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    .54 cal muzzleloader comes out to 28ga.
    you might check black powder .54 bullets, minnie balls, etc.

I personally don't see anyone, with a few exceptions here, shooting many 28 ga slugs.

When I looked at my Brenneke Catalog, I found 28 ga 5/8 oz (275 gr.)slugs at 1450 fps for 1318 ft lbs. They are claiming 3" groups at 100 yards, but limit hunting yardage to 50 yds as the power fades pretty fast as yardage increases.

I am all for doing as much as we can as far as creating our own ammo, however there is a point when we have to look at the practicality of the effort. I doubt many people could shoot enough 28 ga slugs to justify making them and spending $100 on a mould when you can buy boxes of 5 for less than $10 and 2 boxes should just about cover anyones hunting season, and maybe several.

28 ga is not the economy shotshell to play with. At $12.50 a box for birdshot you have to be committed! On Trapshooters.com, where I buy all my O/F Hulls (.410's) you can expect to pay .15-.20 Each for good 28ga hulls. I bought 1000 O/F Winchester .410 hulls for .15 each and was happy to get them. 28 ga is much less common than .410's are. For comparison 12 ga. AA or Remington STS hulls typically sell for .04 each.

You also have to be quick on TS.com. If you see something you like, you better push the button, cuz it will probably be gone if you blink. A fine example was my Citori Sporting Clays Edition .410 with 32" bbls, an Americase, and 5 Briley choke tubes for $2000.00. It was up for 7 minutes when I saw it and bought it. There was a companion Identical 28 ga from the same guy, and it sold in less than 1 minute! Another guy put up a request for a .410 OU 5 minutes later, and a Beretta showed up immediately and someone else grabbed it out from under his nose in less than 1 minute and the OP was pissed. It is definitely a snooze you lose type of place and especially on Saturday morning.

Anyway my .02 on this subject..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I personally don't see anyone, with a few exceptions here, shooting many 28 ga slugs.

When I looked at my Brenneke Catalog, I found 28 ga 5/8 oz (275 gr.)slugs at 1450 fps for 1318 ft lbs. They are claiming 3" groups at 100 yards, but limit hunting yardage to 50 yds as the power fades pretty fast as yardage increases.

I am all for doing as much as we can as far as creating our own ammo, however there is a point when we have to look at the practicality of the effort. I doubt many people could shoot enough 28 ga slugs to justify making them and spending $100 on a mould when you can buy boxes of 5 for less than $10 and 2 boxes should just about cover anyones hunting season, and maybe several.

Randy
    To each his own ! I’ve got the mold and I’ve cast about 200 from it to date . But I also have ten boxes of the Brenneke stuff as well . But then I have two 28 gauge MEC 9000’s and a 28 gauge MEC Grabbed for slugs buck and bismuth . 28 is great for teal and woodies , I’ve got a friend that’s knocked over a tundra swan his last two trips using one of his little 28 Parker’s . A bunch of older folks have been selling off their factory ammo as well as components so I’ve scarfed up 6 or 7 flats of factory 28 gauge stuff and a couple flats of 410 as well as a dozen bags of shot . I was two saturdays ago at Rasawek Preserve in Goochland VA using my circa 1904 Parker VH 28 gauge shooting factory Fiochi 28 gauge #8’s . That day I killed 11 quail with 14 shells . Not bad but not great with three extra shells used . However the two guys in our group of four shooting 12’s shot a lot more than me and killed a dozen between the two of them . Don’t get me wrong I like and load for all six gauges but the 10 , 16 and 28 intrest me a skoosh more than the 12 , 20 and 410 . If I’m
    able to get back in the country next month in time for the Southern Side by Side I’ll most likely shoot the 10 gauge in hammer and hammerless classes , the 12 gauge in both hammer and hammerless , and the 16 20 28 and 410 just in the hammerless classes . That’ll be 384 targets of Sporting Clays in two days .

I had a NEF Pardner 28 ga. With modified choke. I cut off the crimp, poured out the shot, cut the petals off of the wad, and put a .535” RB back in on top of the wad piston. I sealed/ glued the ball in with LLA. These were Kent field loads that I modified and they held a fist size group at 40 yards with bead sight only. They would definitely kill a deer that close.

Boolit Grand Master

Ajay post info about 28 ga. slugs not long ago. Check out his thread "SuperBlazingSabots". Here are a couple of pages with 28 ga. info and there may be more buried in there:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Sabot!/page39
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Sabot!/page42

These guys have 28 ga. slug moulds available:

https://as-molds.com/28-gauge/

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    To each his own ! I’ve got the mold and I’ve cast about 200 from it to date . But I also have ten boxes of the Brenneke stuff as well . .
    You are the exception I was talking about. You are more a "Dedicated Shotgunner" than most of us here.

In my club here in Ojai CA the 28 ga. guys are all shooting Kreighoff's and/or Perazzi's. The last Perazzi that was bought by one of them cost $53,000 and he had to wait 3 years for the gun. Came with 20 and 28 ga barrels and both single and double triggers. Absolutely beautiful ! He was happy with the gun even though it cost twice what his new car cost. He is a "Dedicated Shotgunner!" Also.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    I’ve got an acquaintance that shoots a Perazzi SCO four barrel set at sporting clays all barrels being 32” . We had a higher grade Blaser in the shop for sale , the engraving rivaled any I’ve ever seen . The Blaser was also a 32” four barrel set . I kinda wanted that Blaser but to be honest a slightly used K-80 with a Monte Carlo comb 30” with screw ins and a set of Kolar matched weight tubes would be fine with me ! You might add a K-80 unsingle trap barrel also with screw ins and I could shoot any of the target games I saw fit with the same gun !

Like I said,,, You are a dedicated Shotgunner!

Most people don't even know those guns exist. My gun of choice if I had the $18-20K is a K20 with 20, 28, and .410 32" bbls.

As it sits I'll have to live with my XT 30" and Sporting Clays Edition .410 32" Wish I could find an Unsingle Barrel for my XT.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

While not a dedicated shotgunner my tastes run to H&H Paradox guns which don't come cheap! A good used 12 bore seems to run $30,000.00 + and new I find one listing at 108,000.00 British pounds ($141,000.00 USD).

Of course I am window shopping and will never own one unless I win a lottery... but I can hope!

I contacted the London gun room of Holland and Holland a few years ago asking about the Paradox history and specs. The gunroom manager was very helpful and friendly and even though he knew I wouldn't be a buyer he said if ever I am in London to drop in and they will let me shoot a Paradox gun. That may happen some day!

Not sure I could ever justify a gun worth $10,000.00 much less $141,000.00 but there really is nothing like a quality built firearm. No doubt about that. However, if I win a lottery....

Longbow

I am happy with a Mossberg 500.

BB

Boolit Master
    Like I said,,, You are a dedicated Shotgunner!

Most people don't even know those guns exist. My gun of choice if I had the $18-20K is a K20 with 20, 28, and .410 32" bbls.

As it sits I'll have to live with my XT 30" and Sporting Clays Edition .410 32" Wish I could find an Unsingle Barrel for my XT.

Randy
    We had a new K-20 in the shop three years ago a friend had helped get a friend's wife one so she could give it to his friend for Xmas . I don't remember if this set was 30 or 32 but I liked it . This thing was a middle grade K-20 . But it doesn't have the same feel as a K-80 .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    While not a dedicated shotgunner my tastes run to H&H Paradox guns which don't come cheap! A good used 12 bore seems to run $30,000.00 + and new I find one listing at 108,000.00 British pounds ($141,000.00 USD).

Of course I am window shopping and will never own one unless I win a lottery... but I can hope!

I contacted the London gun room of Holland and Holland a few years ago asking about the Paradox history and specs. The gunroom manager was very helpful and friendly and even though he knew I wouldn't be a buyer he said if ever I am in London to drop in and they will let me shoot a Paradox gun. That may happen some day!

Not sure I could ever justify a gun worth $10,000.00 much less $141,000.00 but there really is nothing like a quality built firearm. No doubt about that. However, if I win a lottery....

Longbow
    I've been looking at paradox/fully rifled SxS's for a long time . A 12 would be fine but if I could lay out the scheckels and get my preference most likely it'd be a 10 gauge . An 8 wouldn't be bad either but I've not seen many of them . Believe it or not they DID make fully rifled/paradox 20 gauge guns !

As to new or used , I place far higher regard on the pre war guns over the present manufacture stuff . I'd much rather have a pre war gun in excellent mechanical shape with 30% finish over a brand new shiney present manufacture gun . A Boss , Purdey , Churchill , Westley Richards , Greener , W&C Scott or H&H would be quite fine with me .

Many K80's and the like show up over at Trapshooters.com, there is always a set of barrels or some other piece parts on the block. Lots of wood and with the Krieghoffs all the parts can be fitted to your gun,,,, by the right gunsmith. The guy at Pacific Sales in Azusa CA is really good.

Working on gun like this is far beyond my capabilities so after getting a recommendation of where to go by my Perazzi Friend who is also a competent gun smith, that's where I took my little Citori after it seized on a hot day. It got loosened up and runs fine now, and you can't even tell what the guy did to it. The hinge looks new, and it didn't look new when I dropped it off!

Just to put these guns in perspective for others, it is not even slightly unusual for a Trap Gun to get 100,000 rounds ran thru it in a year. sAem with Skeet Guns. After 100,000 rounds or so they might need to replace the firing pin springs. then a general clean up and away you go for another year, and 1 Million Rounds is not unusual for guns like this. That's why they cost $10-50 grand! They are made to last.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

BB to be honest, I doubt I could ever spend that much on a gun unless I won a REALLY big lottery and maybe not even then. I am quite happy with my Mossberg Slugster, my Browning BPS and my old Canadian Cooey single shots and my mostly milsurp collection of rifles..

Not to take anything away from the fine guns mentioned above as there is nothing quite like a finely made quality firearm. I certainly like to admire them but unless I was needing the quality, as Randy says, I could never justify spending tens of thousands of dollars on a gun that I didn't need for a specific purpose. Same as cars/trucks. I can't bring myself to spend extravagantly just to have something beyond what I need. I am too utilitarian in nature. Different strokes.

As 6pt-sika says there were other systems similar to the H&H Paradox guns made by a variety of quality gunmakers. Some just as pricey and some more affordable but likely just as functional. One of the more affordable but just as functional versions may eventually find its way home with me, but an H&H... not likely!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Many K80's and the like show up over at Trapshooters.com, there is always a set of barrels or some other piece parts on the block. Lots of wood and with the Krieghoffs all the parts can be fitted to your gun,,,, by the right gunsmith. The guy at Pacific Sales in Azusa CA is really good.

Working on gun like this is far beyond my capabilities so after getting a recommendation of where to go by my Perazzi Friend who is also a competent gun smith, that's where I took my little Citori after it seized on a hot day. It got loosened up and runs fine now, and you can't even tell what the guy did to it. The hinge looks new, and it didn't look new when I dropped it off!

Just to put these guns in perspective for others, it is not even slightly unusual for a Trap Gun to get 100,000 rounds ran thru it in a year. sAem with Skeet Guns. After 100,000 rounds or so they might need to replace the firing pin springs. then a general clean up and away you go for another year, and 1 Million Rounds is not unusual for guns like this. That's why they cost $10-50 grand! They are made to last.

Randy
    The Krieghoff I used to shoot in trap and skeet matches got the firing pins and hammer springs replaced every year . I’d take the gun to a specialized gunsmith that kept Krieghoff Perazzi etc parts in stock . Usually he’d do it while I waited .

I assume this was a K80 with an Unsingle Barrel and Regular Barrel Set?

Like I said I'd really like to find a unsingle barrel for my XT. The best round I've ever shot was with a Browning BT-99 and it was the first round I ever shot. 24/25. Did a 24/25 with the XT once but I have never shot enough to get good and consistent. Once a month about 6 times a year doesn't cut it.

This will be on the list of thing to do when I am finally able to retire. All my hats are in one piece.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast