Thread: Welterweight 44s

I like this shape:
    It is the Accurate 43-240 AG:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44Mag_GasCheck.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	258415

My mold has two cavities that are 43-240 A and two cavities that ar 43-240 AG.
    WWG1WGA

Ok, you are talking about the bullet length, not the actual bearing surface.
    No, I am not. I am talking about bearing surface...the portion of the bullet that bears against the barrel.

Wadcutters have the maximum possible bearing surface per unit of mass. Long sleek ogives and boat tails reduce the amount per unit of mass.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    No, I am not. I am talking about bearing surface...the portion of the bullet that bears against the barrel.

Wadcutters have the maximum possible bearing surface per unit of mass. Long sleek ogives and boat tails reduce the amount per unit of mass.
    Right, and a lube groove and crimp groove doesn't count as bearing surface. If you truly are talking about bearing surface, then my first post is valid. An H&G #503 has about .300" of bearing surface. Three .100" wide driving bands.

I am almost positive what you mean is the length from the base to the end of the front driving band. The overall bullet length minus the unsupported part of the nose.

The gooves count. I guess what really matters is supported surface, sorry for being somewhat confusing. Anything between the driving band and the end of the base is supported weight, provided there is at least half that surface at full diameter. At least that is how I think of it. I certainly don't suntract grooves. But yes, the ogive is unsupported, non-bearing surface, at least at these velocities. Some 30-30 bullets I've recocvered from gel have shown that the ogive can slump and become bearing surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    I did measure (data lost) but I was then more interested in threshold of 20:1 alloy with penta pins. I tried with 8,9,10 and 11grs of fast burning powder “Chedite Granular S Fino”, 1 through chrono, 3 into wet pack, repeat 4 times. Will dug that velocity data for you and some photo of wet pack from 2018. Not scientific but got me some clue. I never played much with 432-423 because I started casting with solid #503 and 432-640 Devastator, then I added 4cav 432-423, 2cav 432-395 HBWC and last year 4cav 44-180 SWC. I use first two the most.
    You can cast solids with that 432-423 HP too, but you will see very gentle circle on the FP. Maybe he made few solids too?

I will dug some data and attach them. here you can see little circles - was casting with FP with engraved pins in that exact mould.

It was one over chronograph, 4into wet pack.
    4 times. 432-423 197grs penta HP, 5m, 5” S&W. Photo of wet pack made from short video where you can see impacts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12