RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who makes the most powerful.22 cal springer?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Even the same experience with feathers yesterday with the jumbo heavies. Frontal chest shot and exited out behind the rear leg. It flew about 20 yards and landed on the ground and just sat there. It wasn’t in a good place to finish the dispatch with the rifle so I grabbed the express pistol and used a terminator pellet. It took off half its head. I’m sticking with head shots so I either miss or it’s drt from now on.

Boolit Master
    Head shots are the only way on squirrels with small bore airguns. Your shot on feathers didn’t hit anything important, that’s why I want accuracy first. No small bore airgun makes enough power to really expand, and I have had starlings fly off with the same shot from a CCI minimag hp. I have killed dozens of starlings with shots thru the neck root and spine between the wings. About the same size target as the head but doesn’t move as much. Have to visualize the exit and what it pass thru. I only took those shots with the starling facing away, held for the neck body juncture, gave me a bit more allowance for range estimation. The fall as dead from a 5mm dome as a 22 hp, and “deader” than a 22 lr solid. Pick the most accurate pellet, I need 1/2 inch group at hunting max distance. That’s about max kill zone on what I hunt with them.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I did get a shot on feathers today with an H&N Terminator pellet out of my rifle. It made a huge thump and the bird literally was pushed backwards about a foot off its branch and dropped stone cold dead. It put a dime size exit hole in it too. It entered the chest and exited between the shoulders on the other side. I’ll have to try a few more of these pellets on game to see how they work while I wait for the Hades to show up.

...I just had the exact same results with a less than perfect shot with the terminators. They hammer varmints...2 for 2. Almost a quarter size entrance hole and a loud pop when it hit its mark. Almost sounds like a toy pop gun when it hits.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-11-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    For airguns you need to look at the energy they produce rather than the velocity. Most spring guns prefer lightish pellets but below a certain weight (or above a certain power), bad things happen. The piston should move forward and be stopped just before it hits the front of the cylinder by a cushion compressed air. Lighter pellets mean that the cushion is smaller and the piston may smack into the front of the cylinder. This makes the recoil feel bad and may destroy scopes. Too big a spring and you get the same thing.

If you are after power and quality then the Diana 460 or Weirauch HW90 are good. Smaller are the HW80 and Diana 48/52 which can still do 20ftlb. Recent Dianas may have had bad barrels- I have a 52 which has a very tight barrel and a overly tight choke that is pellet fussy. The Hatsans are pretty good to but sometime their quality control is a bit off. If you are happy stripping them then a deburr/polish is a good idea. Hatsan makes Webley air rifles under subcontract and their guns are very close to the more expensive Webleys.

In spring guns for power .22 is the way to go. .25 is about the same in the biggest airguns. .25 pellets cost as much as cheap .22LR and the trajectory isn't so good as .22 pellets. .177 is less lethal unless you really need the penetration.

For airguns, accuracy is everything as a pellet through the brain should be instant death. A good quality air gun at 12ftlb will be more effective than one which is less accurate at 20 or more.

BB

My old Walther was rated at 30 FPE back in the day. My guess is I’ll be closer to 25/27 FPE. I see the updated hatsan versions are rated all the way up to 31 fpe. I’m going to pull out my chrony and run some pellets through it so see how close or far off the actual numbers are from marketing hype and 10 years time. The old jsb Diabolo 18.1 grainers group the tightest. The new redesigned skirts with a red label group horrible in my gun compared to the old grey label. I’ll test the old JSB’s, RS, and h&n terminators since they group the best out of about 15 plus pellets I tried. After shooting some varmints with the jSB’s and terminators in the past week. I’ll be using the terminators exclusively for hunting and back yard control. I like the popping noise when connecting on game, quarter sized exits, and DRTs with the terminators even if I’m a little off my mark. The JSBs are not forgiving at all and just sail right through with no shock unless I get a brain shot. I’m almost out of the old old style that shoot good anyways so it doesn’t matter. I originally group tested my gun while sitting in a lead sled. I lighted the trigger the other day and tested laying on some built up carpeting at 23 yards I stacked five terminators I could cover with a dime. Not the greatest group but for a hunting pellet it will have to do. When I sighted it in I was aiming small and aiming for an actual pellet hole in the target and stacking them in the same holes or at least touching holes looking like an hour glass outline so I’m sure it shoots better then I do and I’m not use to the way it recoils yet. The last three pellet holes I aimed at I hit them so she should be zeroed with the terminators. What was weird is after I zeroed it in I aimed at a pop can I set up on wood a 100 yards away to see how far the pellet would drop. I hit it aiming dead on! The can was down hill about 20 lower than where I was sitting so maybe that had something to do with not dropping? I did sight it in at 2.5x this time instead of zooming to 10x like I have been doing in the past and the crosshairs are thick enough that it completely covers the pellet hole up i was aiming at so I might have not had it perfectly on the pellet hole when I pulled the trigger. I can tell it hurts when recoiling if I have the stock on my shoulder bone! Felt like my 1917 Enfield with a metal butt pad. My air gun smacks! I did this two times in a row and almost quit for the day. I’m sure I’ll have a bruise ...I’m sure you posters are saying what?? But I’m not kidding.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-12-2020 at 09:34 AM.

I haven’t seen any fury yard pests lately. The eagles are migrating through and probably put them all into hiding. I did take out a few more grackles and starlings all with the same impressive, instant DRT performance with the Terminator pellets. All with center mass shots. They sure make a popping noise when they hit the birds. There must be a lot of “shock” transfer with these pellets. I’m impressed with the instant death on varmints so far and sticking with them for now.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Pellet guns are actually pretty powerful .

When we lived in town I dispatched literally hundreds of Mocking Birds which are my "Arch Enemy" with my first HW35EB. They are a shoot on sight pest. Where we lived was literally infested with them and I shot 4 the day we moved in. They were in every single tree and bush, and when you shot one, it's place would be reoccupied within 12 hours. At night the noise was insane, hence "Arch Enemy!" Been that way since I was 9 years old. Back then they got a marble from my Slingshot.

Most of the shots were at 10-15 yards and on birds sitting on the Fence or Power Lines or Cable TV lines behind the house. I NEVER had any single one do anything but fall strait to the ground out in the school yard after it was hit. If I missed I generally didn't get another shot at that bird for a few days. When they saw anything (even a broom stick) stick out the back door they'd fly off to safety which was usually on a Soccer Goal that was 40 yards out in the school yard from the back door.

I could hit them at that distance but it wasn't a sure thing they'd die .

My wife saw this problem and bought me a HW77 .22 for my 40th birthday. This gun solved that problem and not only could I hit them at 40 yards, they died instantly!

The very first one saw me open the back door and flitted out to the goal and squawked at me like "too bad you can't touch me." When the 16 gr H&N Match pellet smacked into it, the look on its face was priceless. Wifey was standing right behind me when I shot it and cheered. Then she said "I guess that was money well spent!

I don't get to shoot at many Mocking Birds where we live now as we have Blue Jays which keep them chased off.

That gun has accounted for hundreds of Mocking Birds and that 1 Crow I shot in the front yard that came back to life after a weekend in the trash can. Best I can guess based one the number of pellets I shot between about 1500 .177's and 1000+ .22's I estimate I shot around 400 of these pests in the 15 years we lived there. (At least one a week.) There was also about a dozen Field Rats, but my Cat (Mr. Fuzzball) kept them pretty well in check. The school yard was also infested with Gophers because they wouldn't poison them for fear that the kids might eat some and get sick. The "Fuzz"He was a Gopher killin' and eatin' machine and dined out many nights!

These guns have generated many stories and will do the same for anyone who decides to get one. The thing about Pellet Guns is that you don't have to leave home to shoot them, so you tend to shoot more. If you get a good one you get the same enjoyment as shooting your nice hunting rifles.

I have shot more game in my backyard in the city than I ever will shoot in the field!

So dive in here guys. Too much fun available for not much money, and now since we all have to Self Quarantine for the next 2 weeks what else are you going to do?

Bet there's plenty of guns left on the shelf at Walmart ?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-15-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Lol...same thing here Randy. All the birds fly off the feeder when the back door opens now...they have my number. That dirty starling that was pulling a sparrow’s nest out of the bird house. I cracked the door open and it flew a good 35 to 40 yards and landed. It thought it was safely out of range till “POP!” and it dropped like a stone. Those terminators sound like pop gun when they hit feathers. Those pellets definitely let you know you scored.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-15-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Master

There's a place just 24 miles down the road, I do have to get out of the car and open the wire gate.

Nobody around to share corona's with.

Once inside the pasture, I can drive around and look at ground squirrels through the scope of my air guns.

Too bad the temp was 0 this morning. Makes it kinda cold driving 'round the pasture with the window down.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Safety Tip: Do Not drink Corona Beer.

Then you won't get the Corona Virus

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I just snuck out the door and removed a grackle. About a 15 yard shot max. It sounded like a firecracker went off when it connected. I went to inspect and it’s head was completely gone and it look like a horror show with blood everywhere. Those Terminator pellets are impressive needless to say. If you want to try a pellet that knocks stuff sideways and blows a big holes Id tell you to give thim a try. I’ve never seen destruction like this from a pellet. I tried the predator pellets on feathers and fur and can tell you these are way more destructive.

Boolit Buddy
    You are right about airguns with coronavirus. In the UK we are meant to stay at home so a 50 mile round trip to the range is off. Shooting in the garden with an air gun is fine. I imagine that in a months time there will be a lot more suburban airgun owners in America.

I’ve heard my neighbors on both sides of me cracking away.

My Diana 350 Magnum Superior .22 was doing 24 ft/lbs last time I checked, with 14.5gr RWS pellets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xb87nUw.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	259999

I've done a bit of tuning and put a Maccari spring and guide kit in it. It's pretty quiet but as you'd expect the recoil is noticeable. A very accurate magnum springer once you get the hang of it though.

Boolit Master

Who makes the most powerful.22 cal springer?

My 135 .22 gets about 25 fpe, can’t seem to get above that. That is plenty for anything I would shoot with it, and the gun is accurate with an inexpensive Daisy-Winchester 3-7 scope. I can hit 2” offhand all day at 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-16-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12